follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #43
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've dailyed Dunlop Z2SS, MPSS, and Firehawk Indy's on this car, in that order. I have around 5k miles on the 500's iirc and have spent a few thousand miles on RE71R's as well.

Next set of tires for me is likely Continental ExtremeContact Sports as I don't think the 500's are amazing in the wet.

The Firehawks are a lesser tire than the MPSS, but when I bought them they were 60% of the price and I'd say 90% of the performance new for new, great bargain. They're more expensive now but still a good value proposition for their category imho and it'll take me quite a while to wear through them. I might try PS4S after the Conti's, but with the Firehawk's being 60% of the price I can see that being tough to swallow as I wouldn't expect nearly double the performance. Hell, PS4S in OE size is more expensive than 245/40/17 RE71R's. You get what you pay for, but diminishing returns are real and it's not worth it to everyone.

OP is in LA, all seasons need not apply, anything 'summer' is probably an upgrade from Sumitomo all-seasons.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #44
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The Supra is sporting the MPSS. Not that it necessarily means anything, but it's something.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #45
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
The Supra is sporting the MPSS. Not that it necessarily means anything, but it's something.

I like the PSS, too bad it doesn't come in our size..
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #46
lordwalker

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I'm honestly not sure why this topic is so contentious except that some people don't want to pay the premium to get the best. Quite clearly, the best daily driver tire for this platform is the Michelin PS4S. I guess I'm a "chump" as one poster put it, but I've driven on 5 different tires on this platform, both on the road and on the track, and the Michelin PS4S is worth every penny.

It outperforms every other tire in its class in dry and wet conditions, has decently acceptable wear lifespan when street driven (expect 30-40k miles for a set), and of all the tires I've put on my car it resulted in the best fuel economy (I record every single fill-up and have exceptionally accurate fuel economy records).

There are plenty of cheaper options, and they all have trade-offs. You can hem and haw about it all you want to save a few bucks, or just get the Michelins and go enjoy your life. Maybe that makes me a "chump" but I think a lot of people who own this platform are just broke kids acting like cheap punks desperate to justify their choices.
Lol you kind of said it yourself, ALL tires have tradeoffs, the PS4S included-- and I have those tires on my Audi S5 and I love them. For the track, RE-71Rs clearly have more dry grip-- there's no such thing as a "perfect" tire in all conditions and applications. I agree that the Michelin's are great tires, but on my BRZ I went with Falken Azenis FK510s because they're about 90% of the performance while being almost half the price. For a car with such little power, the small difference in tire performance isn't noticeable, especially in the wide 245/35/18s like I'm running on mine. I have to be doing some ridiculous street driving to even get close to overpowering the grip.

In nearly all of my day to day applications, I never notice the difference between the Falken's and the PS4Ss, so I couldn't justify paying the Michelin premium (on a car that only cost ~25k...). So no, I'm definitely not acting like a "cheap punk" when there's a Macan GTS and Audi S5 in my garage along with the BRZ. I respect your opinion that the Michelin's are probably the best street tire out there, but what might make you look like a chump to others is your elitist attitude just because someone else picked something different. There's legitimate reasons not to run them (even though they are great tires), and the cost is a big factor depending on your usage. I wouldn't run Pilot Sport Cup 2s on the BRZ, since we'd all agree that's a little silly, but for someone who only putts around town PS4Ss are probably overkill too.

Yes, the PS4S and MPSS are great tires, but there are applications where the cost isn't justifiable. But honestly, having owned and driven a lot of high-power sports vehicles with the PS4S/MPSS on them, the Falken FK510s I have on the BRZ are so good in comparison that I might even consider them for the Porsche or Audi.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
smg1138 (05-09-2019)