follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #29
Hypnocracy
Hypnocratic Missionary

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thirty years ago...a hmmm...my Father gave me and my wife a set of ZWILLING J.A. Henckels with the molded handle...we have absolutely punished them...thrown in a drawer...dishwasher...

I had one buddy break a blade trying to open a oyster fifteen years ago...that is the only failure...I have a Diamond whet stone that will make it razor sharp in ten swipes on each side...the steel is tough and holds an edge a long time...

The chefs knife is the only one I use now...wife wanted a small paring knife and got a Cutco...even she noticed the steel was no where near the quality of the Henckels

Hypnocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:16 AM   #30
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
For the past 20 years I've depended on a set of Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Signature knives assembled through strategic individual purchases from Bed Bath & Beyond. They have deep discount coupons all the time so you can easily beat the combo collection prices to get exactly what you want for less than their sale prices.

I leave annual sharpening to a pro, a hippie at a local Saturday market who makes a durable razor edge at a bargain price.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...s?ta=typeahead

There's a big difference in handling comfort and balance between collections. Go to your local BB&B to try a few styles.

My preference is the Four Star collection as shown that I've managed to assemble for about $350 over the years, about a third of their MSRP. They're durable, hold an edge well, have comfortable ergo handles and are confidence inspiring without fear of a loose grip that could cause injury. I've used other brands but I think these are worth the expense and you can put them in your will.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...kels-four-star
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:53 AM   #31
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnocracy View Post

I had one buddy break a blade trying to open a oyster fifteen years ago...that is the only failure..
Is this the same buddy you are trying to set up with the easy gal from high school?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Hypnocracy (04-27-2019), NWFRS (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #32
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
and good American brands left?

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:51 AM   #33
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,128 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I have Wüsthof. Love them. I have had them for many many years. My two Chef (8" I think), my boning knife (it has butchered hundreds of whole chickens), and my little 4" paring knife are my favorite I use the most, and have served me well for many years. The style are what they now call the "Classic" series, but mine are from way before they were called that. I also have a steak knife set, Cleaver, bread, and a few other in my old set. They are just perfect for me.

There are lots of good knifes out there, just find the one that is balanced and feels best for you, and take good care of it, and it will last a lifetime.
Same here, I picked up a three piece classic set a couple years back. Great quality knife.

I've purchased various Zwilling 8" knives for family as gifts, which they all love.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #34
Hypnocracy
Hypnocratic Missionary

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Is this the same buddy you are trying to set up with the easy gal from high school?
Not the same...sadly that buddy is also divorced now & lives in another state...it’s been a while since I’ve heard from him
Hypnocracy is offline   Reply With Quote