follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #15
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
90% depends on how your son is as far as being responsible. If he is then this is a great car for him. Just make it a rule to keep the nannies on when on the street. Get him some instruction at a reputable HPDE event.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
why? (03-04-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #16
CarJunkie

Drives: BMW1M, e30 325e, 2015 Prius,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
90% depends on how your son is as far as being responsible. If he is then this is a great car for him. Just make it a rule to keep the nannies on when on the street. Get him some instruction at a reputable HPDE event.

He is responsible, isn't a daredevil, and never shows off. I am on the fence about this being a daily driver for him, but I don't worry about him doing something stupid at the track after saying "watch this", and really don't think he would do that on the street either. (but a parent never really know what they do when they are alone)
CarJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #17
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
When the plugs/coils fail, can they be replaced with the updated parts from later years, or are they incompatible? Would that move the car out of stock class?

I get that the car would be better with a build to ST or SSC, but for autocross, I think newbies still learn better in a stock car. Once you build into a class, you really need to do everything allowed in that class to be competitive, and it doesn't change the flesh and bones sitting in the driver's seat. Its already a stretch to consider buying him a car like this, let alone prepping it beyond the basic necessities for track reliability.
The only way to update the coilpacks is to swap out the engine wiring harness (I had mine done under warranty), otherwise you just treat the coilpacks as consumables and swap them as they go bad. A stock car is perfectly fine for autox and track. You might be able to find an SSC car for sale on the forums for the same price as a stock example, but the only real issue the stock car has is the lack of front camber which leads to excessive camber wear.

The SSC class is a spec class and you have to run the whole kit to run in the class.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #18
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
He is responsible, isn't a daredevil, and never shows off. I am on the fence about this being a daily driver for him, but I don't worry about him doing something stupid at the track after saying "watch this", and really don't think he would do that on the street either. (but a parent never really know what they do when they are alone)
Well then this would be a good way to see how he does with responsibility. Not that these cars are fast however they do instill a certain amount of confidence and there's a fine line there. This is a tough decision as a parent and you're the best one to make the call.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #19
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't think you could do better than a FT86 or S2000 or Miata as a track car to learn on. All are reliable, lightweight, well-balanced at the limit and will let you play with understeer and oversteer. If you do get an FT86, I'd get a 2015+ model to avoid the hassle of replacing coilpacks. Add an oil cooler, track alignment (camber bolts or tophat) and pads and he should be good to go.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #20
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
My dad stopped buying me bicycles once I was old enough to mow peoples lawns and earn money myself
soundman98 (03-03-2020), TommyW (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #21
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I would love that my kid had something that new and safe as a first car. My first car cost 300 bucks and didnt have 1 airbag. The FRS did well in safety test and has 6 airbags! An E30 turns into a wet noodle if you hit something. As for him doing something when you arent at the track, we have all done it and learned from it. The good and the bad. He sounds like a good kid to me.

Whatever you do, dont listen to the engine swap guys. Those are the ppl that show up to an event, drive for 40 mins and spend the rest of the event working on their car. I've been there and see it all the time. Keep it easy to maintain. If the engine pops in the FRS, its 2500 bucks and about 5 hours before its ready to go again. The are super easy to work on.

Bring him to a proven track day organizers event with proper instructors or 1 on 1 coaching if you have that dough. There are 14 year olds racing Spec Miata in my region. Like I said in my first post, keep the TC on and dont let him get cocky and he will be fine.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
why? (03-04-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 10:37 PM   #22
CarJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Whatever you do, dont listen to the engine swap guys. Those are the ppl that show up to an event, drive for 40 mins and spend the rest of the event working on their car. I've been there and see it all the time. Keep it easy to maintain. If the engine pops in the FRS, its 2500 bucks and about 5 hours before its ready to go again. The are super easy to work on.

I have seen that many times . . . I always feel bad for those guys!
Thanks for the input.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:41 PM   #23
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
@CarJunkie,
I guess I totally missed what you meant.

Either way, why don't ask your son what kind of car does he want? He might be a closet mustang fan. Lol I'm joking. But still ask him.
It sounds like you are using your son as an excuse to buy yourself a nice track toy. Lol that's the way I'll sell it to my wife.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:32 PM   #24
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My personal 2 cents and please feel free to ignore me. If you want your son to truly appreciate his 1st sports car, don't buy it for him. If you want to be a great car Dad let him co-drive your RWD car at autox and hpde events. If you're nice enough to buy him a car to get around, buy him a used FWD car with a manual trans. One that's relatively safe and not too much power.

From personal experience I took a lot of pride in purchasing my first sports car with money I earned. Friends who were given things (nice cars) growing up never had the same appreciation for them. 90%-95% of teenagers who like to drive are going to turn the traction off at some point with RWD and most likely sail it off the road. Not saying that is what your boy would do.

If you really want him to love driving and become a hot shoe, get him into kart racing. Again this is just my opinion.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (03-04-2020), soundman98 (03-03-2020), why? (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #25
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Of the people i knew that have had a car newer than 15 years gifted to them at 16-18, many put it in a ditch or oncoming traffic(one special case got run into by a school bus), with the rest treating it like it was disposable.

I'm a firm believer in that everyone's first car should be something dirt cheap, 15+ years old, and 50/50 that it will start every time the key is turned.

It makes any future vehicles like trading in a mountain bike for a space ship. It's so much easier to appreciate nicer stuff when starting out with something less.

I'm still not entirely used to power windows...
Old 03-04-2020, 02:10 AM   #26
CarJunkie

Lots of great advice. My 1M will still be my track toy, but probably isn’t the best novice car. The BRZ wouldn’t be his, and my wife is pretty excited to have something fun to drive also. His daily driver is a well used Prius, and that will probably remain the case.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:52 AM   #27
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I am one who spent a lot of time at a track over my life. I have a BRZ because it IS just fun to drive. I now have a grand daughter that is driving and have been teaching her to drive with a stick. She is now quite good and look forward to having her drive it at the track as a very good learning tool. I have modified the engine and little else. I have Ecutek tuning for the engine because of the super charger (one of the first sprintex) so I asked Zack to fix me a driver training program. Easy on the throttle, lower rev limit.
Since you seem to be of the same mind, a stock BRZ or FRS is about as good as you can get for a learning tool. By the way her dad has a Ford Focus RS and she is now driving that but only under supervision. He is also my driver for the Noble M400 as I am getting older and I would like to think I am smart enough to no I am no longer competitive, I still drive it on the track for fun, but not racing. Think of me as on the back side of life but not giving up yet. That was one of the reasons I got the BRZ, I can still drive it 10/10 ok maybe 8 or 9/10 at the track.
I have been lucky enough to have driven many cars at the track and I can say without hesitation the BRZ platform is as good a learning and practice car as you can get. You will not be disappointed in this stock car. Later you might think about upgrading parts as he learns but start stock and learn to drive properly with an instructor (usually not dad).

I do understand soundman98 but you were talking about a track or autocross car.

Last edited by ls1ac; 03-04-2020 at 03:12 AM.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #28
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
These cars are great at winter and snow driving with the correct winter tires. Getting a 2015 or newer is the way to go since they ironed out all the odd little issues by then. These cars are a blast on track and off. And if you do get the modding bug the aftermarket is massive.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote