follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
bunches7399

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust Suggestions

I was looking for some insight on an exhaust for my BRZ, I'm bone stock other than an E85 tune. I would like something with a better sound and some hp gains (don't we all). But it is my daily driver so not crazy loud and no codes thrown. Thanks for any suggestions cost doesn't matter too much but it's always nice to get the best bang for your buck
bunches7399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What part of the exhaust?

The header will give you more power with a tune, and make the whole exhaust louder. A UEL will give you the distinctive boxer rumble; an EL will be smoother. Taking the cat out of the header will result in an error code, unless you have a tune that disables that kind of thing.

A catback will give you cool-looking exhaust tips and a direct correlation to exhaust tone. One thing to note is that the OEM exhaust is an active part of the underbody aero design. Without a big muffler there to divert airflow, the rear bumper acts as a parachute. There are a few diffusers on the market that can cover the resulting gap if you go with a catback with a different layout.

If you take both cats out (header and front pipe), the exhaust will sound raspy. Resonators help with this. Some catbacks have them, some don't. Without cats, the exhaust will smell horrible.

If you're looking at the whole package, there are a number of good headers out there. Most of them eliminate the cat. FT-86 Speedfactory, P&L, and I think JDL have catted headers; all three are forum sponsors. For catless, you have tons. OpenFlash, Tomei, MXP, FT-86 SpeedFactory, P&L, JDL, Nameless, HKS, etc...

Get a Nameless over/front combo pipe. Catted or resonated or none or both, to your preference. Catted and resonated will be quietest.

The Invidia Q300 and Perrin resonated catbacks are generally regarded as the quietest, but there are still a lot to choose from. There's a sticky at the top of this subforum with different exhausts and audio clips so you can listen.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
bunches7399 (09-23-2014), SurfAndSand (12-16-2014), vividracing (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunches7399 View Post
I was looking for some insight on an exhaust for my BRZ, I'm bone stock other than an E85 tune. I would like something with a better sound and some hp gains (don't we all). But it is my daily driver so not crazy loud and no codes thrown. Thanks for any suggestions cost doesn't matter too much but it's always nice to get the best bang for your buck
Bunches,

Dont know if you have found what you are looking for yet, but if you would like to browse our BRZ Exhaust section and PM or email: taylor@vividracing.com with any questions you may have and for FT86club.com special pricing. Happy motoring!
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
bunches7399

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would really like headers, preferably UEL so I can get a little better power. I've really been eyeing up the open flash header since I have an OFT but I don't want the cell with the UEL.
bunches7399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunches7399 View Post
I would really like headers, preferably UEL so I can get a little better power. I've really been eyeing up the open flash header since I have an OFT but I don't want the cell with the UEL.
The OFT has a map (stage 2, I think) the disables the P0420 cat code, so you can get any header you want.

I know that's what I'll be doing.

BTW, I think the UEL is known for better torque. Don't quote me on that though.

Tags
exhaust, exhaust tips, exhausts, help please, suggestions