follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #281
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
240Z’s are so damn sexy
And FD RX-7’s (love FC’s also)
I need one of those in my life. I’ve always lusted after an RX-7
You are not wrong
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
JesseG (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #282
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
The proportions of these cars aren’t even close. I can see a few similarities in the detailwork but that’s really it.
Well, that's where the "Design Language" comes in is in the detail work. Maybe a better way of phrasing it is they have a family resemblance. If they matched in overall size and proportion as well as detail they would be the same car.

It's similar to how you can tell two brothers are related, even though they are quite different overall.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
korhun (10-11-2019), Tcoat (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #283
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Well, that's where the "Design Language" comes in is in the detail work. Maybe a better way of phrasing it is they have a family resemblance. If they matched in overall size and proportion as well as detail they would be the same car.

It's similar to how you can tell two brothers are related, even though they are quite different overall.
That is what I have been trying to convey. Wasn't comparing cab position, precise angles or geometry in general just the simple observation that when I look at the two I can see the family resemblance. People are trying to overanalyze the comparison.
Dadhawk (10-11-2019), Feistyfrog (10-11-2019), korhun (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 03:06 PM   #284
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Subaru could have a bash at sheet metal design. I’m sure it would turn out just fine.

Heh heh.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #285
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
Subaru could have a bash at sheet metal design. I’m sure it would turn out just fine.

Heh heh.
Yoshoobaroo (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #286
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,444 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yes. I like this two door coupe rendar. BUT... It started out looking like this! This car I would have bought over the BRZ!

Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
korhun (10-12-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #287
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

That looks freaking brilliant.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #288
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Too add to my wishlist:

Why hasn't radar (or other follow distance based) cruise control become more widely available? Without it cruise control is basically useless on even a slightly busy highway and it's been out for ages in mid-upper tier luxury cars. Seems like most of the cost would be in development but the actual components shouldn't be exorbitantly expensive.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #289
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
Too add to my wishlist:

Why hasn't radar (or other follow distance based) cruise control become more widely available? Without it cruise control is basically useless on even a slightly busy highway and it's been out for ages in mid-upper tier luxury cars. Seems like most of the cost would be in development but the actual components shouldn't be exorbitantly expensive.
Both Toyota and Subaru have it most of their other models. I bet it shows up in the next gen along with the rest of the Distracted Driving package (lane departure, collision avoidance, blind spot monitoring, etc) much to the dismay of all the people that already hate the nannies.
Dadhawk (10-15-2019), new2subaru (10-15-2019), Takumi788 (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #290
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Both Toyota and Subaru have it most of their other models. I bet it shows up in the next gen along with the rest of the Distracted Driving package (lane departure, collision avoidance, blind spot monitoring, etc) much to the dismay of all the people that already hate the nannies.
I don't hate them. I wish all the people that can't ******* drive would get them. The world would be a much safer place

Anyone can have a fender bender but the amount of people "driving" while completely oblivious to their surroundings is insane...
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-15-2019), Feistyfrog (10-15-2019), Tcoat (10-15-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #291
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Too add to my wishlist:

I can't stand that crap. I will go out of my way to buy cars that do not have it. Or if I must buy one with it, would find a way to permanently disable it.

Way too intrusive and sensitive.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #292
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Not a fan of the nannies but follow distance based cruise control would be really nice for the longer drives. (Toronto to Ottawa for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I don't hate them. I wish all the people that can't ******* drive would get them. The world would be a much safer place

Anyone can have a fender bender but the amount of people "driving" while completely oblivious to their surroundings is insane...
My problem with most of the nannies is that they enable people to pay even less attention to their driving. "I don't need to shoulder check any more, the car will tell me if there's someone there!" what happens when it's a motorcycle and your blind spot system doesn't pick them up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I can't stand that crap. I will go out of my way to buy cars that do not have it. Or if I must buy one with it, would find a way to permanently disable it.

Way too intrusive and sensitive.
It should probably have a feature to either use it or not. I've never driven a car with follow distance based cruise control but it seems to me that as long as it's implemented well then it would be really useful.

Speaking of nannies, multi-stage traction/stability control off without the need for a pedal dance! Or for that matter default to the 'button-held-down' setting and when you actually depress the button then turn it off completely.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #293
Tcoat

Quote:
Not a fan of the nannies but follow distance based cruise control would be really nice for the longer drives. (Toronto to Ottawa for example).

My problem with most of the nannies is that they enable people to pay even less attention to their driving. "I don't need to shoulder check any more, the car will tell me if there's someone there!" what happens when it's a motorcycle and your blind spot system doesn't pick them up?

It should probably have a feature to either use it or not. I've never driven a car with follow distance based cruise control but it seems to me that as long as it's implemented well then it would be really useful.

Speaking of nannies, multi-stage traction/stability control off without the need for a pedal dance! Or for that matter default to the 'button-held-down' setting and when you actually depress the button then turn it off completely.
My wife's Impreza has all the stuff. The smart cruise is very, very nice and works well. I love it. The blind spot indicators are nice but they shouldn't replace a shoulder check. The back up movement warning is very handy when visibility is restricted. The lane control alarm is a pain in the ass and only works sporadically. The autobraking collision avoidance get's confused by curving onramps (where it sees things as too "close" but you can over ride it by simply pushing the gas. Have tried it with some empty boxes piled up and it will work and stop the car if you don't change any controls. All of them can be turned off with the touch of a button.
As you said my biggest complaint about the whole thing is also that it will take people that are already distracted and let them pay even less attention than they already do. It all works pretty good but it is not infallible so people that trust it too much may be in for a surprise.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #294
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
As you said my biggest complaint about the whole thing is also that it will take people that are already distracted and let them pay even less attention than they already do. It all works pretty good but it is not infallible so people that trust it too much may be in for a surprise.

I've personally seen this, or at least that is what it appears to be. There is a 4-way stop on my normal commute that sometimes gets backed up. On more than one occasion I've spotted a car in the line that is obviously using the auto-braking to manage through the line while they do something else. The car will stop abruptly while their head is down, they'll look up, start the car rolling forward and look back down, process repeats. Fortunately they have never been directly behind me.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote