follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #169
Kris86

Drives: RHD Gt86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
I read the whole thread hoping to see results to compare to my own build.

Have you replaced the damaged compressor seal you posted before? It's supposed to go around the plate behind the blades and not on the housing. A bit obvious but you never know.

I see you are venting the crankcase to the atmosphere. What have you done to the intake manifold and EVAP hoses? I suggest you plug them off and delete them. I deleted my PCV solenoid as it can't hold much boost. I would recheck all the hoses as there might be a simple misplaced hose that's hooked up in the wrong location.

You could also double check your fuel system as it is no longer a returnless system. Your fuel regulator needs a vacuum line to function correctly, at least on my other builds it did. Not sure how the FBM kit works but I'm pretty sure it needs a boost source at least.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yup first thing we changed was the seal for the turbo. Yeah the only reason it got cut/pinched was when we were spinning/aligning the housings angle

I completed deleted the evap solenoid and I plugged up all that it was connected too.

On the intake manifold where the pcv used to be plumbed too, I have my aem boost gauge vacuum source reading from there. I have checked my vacuum hoses over and over and over again. Any recommendations are to which vacuum lines could be hooked up incorrectly that I could make sure of?

I also have in the radium pcv delete kit.

Only modifications I've done to my fuel system are the DW 900cc injectors (with the hard connectors )and the FBM 485 fuel pump kit, I haven't installed any fuel pressure regulator or modified anything with the fuel system otherwise.

Can you please elaborate some more as to your last paragraph

461hp on 91octane - JDL turbo GTX3076r GEN 2 - Mazworx CD009 transmission
Kris86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #170
BRX

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris86 View Post
Yup first thing we changed was the seal for the turbo. Yeah the only reason it got cut/pinched was when we were spinning/aligning the housings angle

I completed deleted the evap solenoid and I plugged up all that it was connected too.

On the intake manifold where the pcv used to be plumbed too, I have my aem boost gauge vacuum source reading from there. I have checked my vacuum hoses over and over and over again. Any recommendations are to which vacuum lines could be hooked up incorrectly that I could make sure of?

Only modifications I've done to my fuel system are the DW 900cc injectors (with the hard connectors )and the FBM 485 fuel pump kit, I haven't installed any fuel pressure regulator or modified anything with the fuel system otherwise.

Ignore my last paragraph as you haven't actually installed the FBM fuel return system yet.

On the intake manifold you have 3 ports in total. Two on the top and one in the bottom.

The bottom one is Connected to the CPC solenoid (EVAP). I referred to it as the PCV solenoid in my previous post (my bad) Anyway, you can delete this solenoid whatever it's called, disconnect the hoses going into it and plug them making sure they're sealed tight. You can keep them connected on the non CPC solenoid sides. The solenoid is closed in normal operating conditions and some have actually tighten the hoses going into it as they become loose with boost. Deleting it is the safest way to go as you never know when the valve inside might fail or leak.

For the top two hoses, the one on the passenger side (driver side in US) is connected to the brake booster ( I use it for my gauge by welding a T in the solid line)

The one on the driver side (passenger in US) is the one coming from the PCV it is used in most catch can setups. If you're ventilating to air, make sure the intake manifold opening is sealed tight. The opening might actually be too big to be used for a gauge unless you install a reducer.

If I were you, I would reconnect the PCV valve directly to the intake manifold (remove gauge) and see if there is any difference. If not, I would look into installing the stock injectors as the DW injectors might not be seated correctly but it should have been probably noticed in the compression check you did. Also check the fuel/EVAP lines and make sure non of them are mixed up as all 3 look the same. It's gonna be something obvious as always with these issues.

BRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (07-09-2017), Kris86 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #171
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I read the whole thread hoping to see results to compare to my own build.

Have you replaced the damaged compressor seal you posted before? It's supposed to go around the plate behind the blades and not on the housing. A bit obvious but you never know.

I see you are venting the crankcase to the atmosphere. What have you done to the intake manifold and EVAP hoses? I suggest you plug them off and delete them. I deleted my PCV solenoid as it can't hold much boost. I would recheck all the hoses as there might be a simple misplaced hose that's hooked up in the wrong location.

You could also double check your fuel system as it is no longer a returnless system. Your fuel regulator needs a vacuum line to function correctly, at least on my other builds it did. Not sure how the FBM kit works but I'm pretty sure it needs a boost source at least.

You don't need a vacuum source to the pressure regulator just set the fuel pressure to 56 pounds. vacuum reference regulators make tuning the system a total bitch because the tables have to be in sync with the changing fuel pressure plus your D/I pump should have a constant pressure not one that fluctuates..

Now as far as plugging the intake ports that is solid info. don't make the mistake I did and assume the valve will seal it. I took forever to figure why I COULD NOT MAINTAIN 30psi of boost.....smh
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #172
FRS Justin

Quote:

If you installed a aftermarket pump you need to check fuel pressure... some pumps run at 30 psi some at 75psi but your factory is 56 to 57 psi and that is what most tunes are set for.
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
Kris86 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #173
FRS Justin

Kris if you need to look at my setup we can facetime and I will walk you thru it
Kris86 (07-09-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #174
Kris86

Quote:
Ignore my last paragraph as you haven't actually installed the FBM fuel return system yet.

On the intake manifold you have 3 ports in total. Two on the top and one in the bottom.

The bottom one is Connected to the CPC solenoid (EVAP). I referred to it as the PCV solenoid in my previous post (my bad) Anyway, you can delete this solenoid whatever it's called, disconnect the hoses going into it and plug them making sure they're sealed tight. You can keep them connected on the non CPC solenoid sides. The solenoid is closed in normal operating conditions and some have actually tighten the hoses going into it as they become loose with boost. Deleting it is the safest way to go as you never know when the valve inside might fail or leak.

For the top two hoses, the one on the passenger side (driver side in US) is connected to the brake booster ( I use it for my gauge by welding a T in the solid line)

The one on the driver side (passenger in US) is the one coming from the PCV it is used in most catch can setups. If you're ventilating to air, make sure the intake manifold opening is sealed tight. The opening might actually be too big to be used for a gauge unless you install a reducer.

If I were you, I would reconnect the PCV valve directly to the intake manifold (remove gauge) and see if there is any difference. If not, I would look into installing the stock injectors as the DW injectors might not be seated correctly but it should have been probably noticed in the compression check you did. Also check the fuel/EVAP lines and make sure non of them are mixed up as all 3 look the same. It's gonna be something obvious as always with these issues.

I completely deleted the EVAP solenoid and plugged up the hoses that went with it securely.

I have honestly been told to try the pcv recirculation again just to see, so I guess it really is worth a shot. If not I will speak with my tuner about trying the stock injectors afterwards.

I really really really appreciate the time you took for your detailed post.

ALL THE HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED EVERYONE

Old 07-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #175
Kris86

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Justin View Post
If you installed a aftermarket pump you need to check fuel pressure... some pumps run at 30 psi some at 75psi but your factory is 56 to 57 psi and that is what most tunes are set for.
Thanks for the info Justin!

I will speak with my tuner

Old 07-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #176
Kris86

Quote:
You don't need a vacuum source to the pressure regulator just set the fuel pressure to 56 pounds. vacuum reference regulators make tuning the system a total bitch because the tables have to be in sync with the changing fuel pressure plus your D/I pump should have a constant pressure not one that fluctuates..

Now as far as plugging the intake ports that is solid info. don't make the mistake I did and assume the valve will seal it. I took forever to figure why I COULD NOT MAINTAIN 30psi of boost.....smh
My bad but, Which valve do u mean exactly? Pcv?

Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #177
Kris86

Quote:

This is how my gauge is connected
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #178
FRS Justin

Quote:
This is how my gauge is connected
Kris where does that other line go it should go to the brake booster.
evap purge valve
Old 07-09-2017, 11:38 PM   #179
BRX

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
evap purge valve
I thought it was going into the opposite direction and then I saw that the battery and brake master cylinder are in opposite positions compared to LHD. I wonder what else is flipped over.

BRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
Kris86 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 01:19 AM   #180
FRS Justin

Quote:
I thought it was going into the opposite direction and then I saw that the battery and brake master cylinder are in opposite positions compared to LHD. I wonder what else is flipped over.

ah the old left hand drive vs right hand drive lol
Kris86 (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #181
Kris86

Quote:
evap purge valve
I completely deleted my evap solenoid

Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #182
Kris86

Quote:
I do this by hookin a fuel pressure gauge between the feed line and the fuel rail correct ?