follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #71
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
Idk but either way I still want to try out those st xta looks like they'll do a nice job😎
I've heard great things about the STs. I have the Fortune 500s now and I'm super happy with them
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
why? (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #72
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I been following this thread for a while....and you guys got me interested

Haven't really seen much of the Tein Flex Z's but now you guys are talking about the ST coils I'm really stuck between the 2 lol the only reason I'd want coilovers is to fit 18X9.5 wheels on them. I'm not going to "SLAM" or "STANCE" my car I'll probably lower it by an inch or a little over.

I really don't wanna worry about scraping or anything like that all because I wanna be "LOW"

Do I have anything to worry about in terms of handling with just an inch drop with bigger and wider wheels? Or should I just get 17X9 wheels and grab a set of PSS tires?
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #73
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
I been following this thread for a while....and you guys got me interested

Haven't really seen much of the Tein Flex Z's but now you guys are talking about the ST coils I'm really stuck between the 2 lol the only reason I'd want coilovers is to fit 18X9.5 wheels on them. I'm not going to "SLAM" or "STANCE" my car I'll probably lower it by an inch or a little over.

I really don't wanna worry about scraping or anything like that all because I wanna be "LOW"

Do I have anything to worry about in terms of handling with just an inch drop with bigger and wider wheels? Or should I just get 17X9 wheels and grab a set of PSS tires?
Nothing to worry about I was much lower with hardly any rubbing/scraping etc. Everything I've seen about the flex Zs is positive. For the cost you can't go wrong. If you only want a small drop and aren't interested in adjustability then just get lowering springs. Much cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-22-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #74
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Nothing to worry about I was much lower with hardly any rubbing/scraping etc. Everything I've seen about the flex Zs is positive. For the cost you can't go wrong. If you only want a small drop and aren't interested in adjustability then just get lowering springs. Much cheaper.
True, but I read in a lot of places that coilovers are required to fit the size wheels that I want
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #75
MeisterR

Drives: BNR32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah my front and rear looks like that picture but the rear won't go lower
Quote:
Bad threads maybe?

Or the body bottomed out in the base/mount/bracket
On the 86, the rear damper do not have alot of room.
A good dual perch coilovers will have to limit how much the rear can lower, because to shorten the damper any more will cause bottoming out issue.

There are a few other ways around the issue, but if you want to go very very low and have good performance, the 86 suspension design isn't a really good one for that.

Quote:
Idk but either way I still want to try out those st xta looks like they'll do a nice job��
If you really want to slam your car, I would be careful with those ST.
Because helper springs basically collapse on any weight, and that mean you use damper travel for the full collapse length of the springs.

That mean alot of compression travel are lost, can could lead to bottoming out issue depending on ride height setting.

Dual perch design like the MeisterR ZetaCRD, Tein Flex Z, Ohlins DFV, etc have less of that problem as ride height do not change the damper travel.
However, it has to be design correctly in the first place, or else the suspension will just ride horribly everywhere.

Jerrick

Last edited by MeisterR; 10-21-2016 at 09:38 PM.
MeisterR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #76
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
True, but I read in a lot of places that coilovers are required to fit the size wheels that I want
Oh...yeah I forgot about that. Yeah the stock springs are fat. Are you gonna race or drive really hard a lot? If you aren't too abusive the Flex Zs are super cheap for coils and a great choice. Otherwise the STs should be great if you want to spend a little more
Old 10-21-2016, 03:50 PM   #77
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ST's will probably have a bit better damping, Teins have more features (independent preload and height adjustment, front camber plates). Both are decent budget performance options, both are better than stock, neither are designed to go super low.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (10-28-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 04:08 PM   #78
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Mmh no I'm not tying to slam my car like having the lip of my rims tucked under the fender. I'm trying to have the fender sit half a finger above my tires which is on 19inch rims. Hehe I still would like to get over them taller bumps ya'know ? 😜
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #79
MeisterR

What are the list of coilovers that everyone is grouping in at the moment?
It seems like we have group non-adjustable twin-tube, adjustable twin-tube, and adjustable mono-tube all together in a single group.

And as far as function and performance goes, all of those are not close to each other.

Jerrick
Old 10-22-2016, 12:23 AM   #80
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterR View Post
What are the list of coilovers that everyone is grouping in at the moment?
It seems like we have group non-adjustable twin-tube, adjustable twin-tube, and adjustable mono-tube all together in a single group.

And as far as function and performance goes, all of those are not close to each other.

Jerrick
I think for "most" people, the function and performance is the same. Only under race track conditions will the differences really show and let's face it, most people with coils will never see a track
Old 10-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #81
tooslow4umayne

Drives: 2016 frs
Garage
my $0.02 I purchased st coils. I like them. ride is slightly more harsh but not too insane and adjustment up to 2 inches. not that expensive either made by kw not a bad buy unless ur tracking. if thats the case Kwv3 all day
tooslow4umayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #82
MeisterR

Quote:
I think for "most" people, the function and performance is the same. Only under race track conditions will the differences really show and let's face it, most people with coils will never see a track
Track will really show, but I would say all 3 type of dampers listed above have noticeable difference that affect everyday usage.

Especially on steering response and ride compliancy over initial bump on uneven road surfaces, I would say mono-tube really out shine twin-tube in that department given that the suspension was designed as a fast road sport suspension.

I am talking about conventional damper design, so Ohlins TTX do not count.

Jerrick
Old 10-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #83
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
. You'll probably want to raise the diff while you're at it to put the axles at less of an angle as well.
This has been one of the biggest costs for me so far lowering mine as low as it is.
The parts to do the subframe/diff risers are cheap, the labor to pull the rear end out and take the bushings out, plus install the new ones and weld in the diff mounts put the price up.

Well worth it in the end.

I have done LCA's/toe arms etc etc.
Replacing my coilovers shortly, have D2's which are pretty harsh, getting some custom made ones here done here in Aust which will be a massive difference, and hopefully let me identify other issues with the handling instead of being masked under some crap coils!
Old 10-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #84
fuddbutter
Potato Farmer

Drives: #SLOBRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterR View Post
On the 86, the rear damper do not have alot of room.
A good dual perch coilovers will have to limit how much the rear can lower, because to shorten the damper any more will cause bottoming out issue.

There are a few other ways around the issue, but if you want to go very very low and have good performance, the 86 suspension design isn't a really good one for that.

Changing the rear LCA's to something like Parts shop Max will drop the car 25-40mm without changing the suspension set up.
Think there are a few others too which will do this.
give you more room to move!