follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #127
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Dad View Post
Unfortunately (in this limited instance) he doesn't live at home so I won't see it much. I did steal it all day yesterday to put his radar detector in and some other stuff though, and I think I have him sold on some staggered 18's.
Nice, though many recommend not to stagger the setup - throws off the balance of the car and is normally unnecessary unless you're adding a bit (100%+) more power.

Also, welcome to the forum.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #128
FRS Dad

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Nominated for the post hall of fame.

Your son is lucky. You will probably be flooded with adoption requests shortly.
He's a really good kid but a little too straight-laced for 20. Never any problems with drugs, drinking or unprotected sex...he has his own 401k for cryin' out loud. I have no idea where I went wrong with that boy
FRS Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #129
FRS Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Nice, though many recommend not to stagger the setup - throws off the balance of the car and is normally unnecessary unless you're adding a bit (100%+) more power.

Also, welcome to the forum.
Thanks. I'm ashamed to admit the staggered set up is purely a cosmetic concern. I'm guessing the car's happiest with the square 17's but they look a little too tidy and tucked away given the radical proportions of the sheet metal.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #130
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks. I'm ashamed to admit the staggered set up is purely a cosmetic concern. I'm guessing the car's happiest with the square 17's but they look a little too tidy and tucked away given the radical proportions of the sheet metal.
I agree. I'm running some 20mm and 25mm spacers on the stock wheels and it makes it look pretty nice. I can shoot you some pics if you'd like.

But I understand on the staggered setup. I have some wheels from my previous car that I'm planning on throwing on the car next year that are 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 I just want to enjoy the amazing dynamics of the car a little longer!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #131
FRS Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
I agree. I'm running some 20mm and 25mm spacers on the stock wheels and it makes it look pretty nice. I can shoot you some pics if you'd like.

But I understand on the staggered setup. I have some wheels from my previous car that I'm planning on throwing on the car next year that are 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 I just want to enjoy the amazing dynamics of the car a little longer!
Yeah I'd like to see pics. I run 15mm/20mm spacers on the S550 but the German cars use lug bolts vs lug nuts so you're not swapping out studs, just changing bolt lengths.

i also have a set of square 18 take offs from the A4 so we may go with new rims with a little more offset.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #132
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm running 18x8.5 and they look much nicer.

I've got pics posted in the wheel directory.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #133
rick s

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmctacticz View Post
Thanks tips you should be promoted to captain obvious. I test drove the car about 8-10 times before I bought it and loved it. I knew I was buying a 200hp car however, thats not my point genius... my point is that the FRS should come with more power and Im sure many FRS owners are with me on this one. My intention was to buy the car and make it faster, and thats exactly what Im doing
Your original post had an air of whining about it! Why not just go with the question of how to boost the power on the car.
Besides I'm sure if you had just called the designers of the car they would have added a turbo per your suggestion! Just saying!
rick s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #134
PHLonomenal

Drives: Whiteout 2014 Scion FR-S
Garage
FRS lack of horsepower

Quote:

Square 18's...Looks and functionality.
Posts of the year and Dad of the year.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #135
FRS Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLonomenal View Post
Square 18's...Looks and functionality.
Posts of the year and Dad of the year.
Thanks on both. So the 18" take-off tires from the Audi are like new but a little larger than spec. Using those would free up more cash for the new rims.

245/40 vs 225/40. By my math they're a smidge over a half inch wider and a little more than 1/3" more sidewall. Presuming I don't go too far with offset I should be fine on clearance. Hopefully they won't look too chunky.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #136
DaWorstPlaya

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmctacticz View Post
I love the car and the way it looks and feels but I think in can use another 50 to 75 Horses
Agreed, that's why I'm holding off the purchase of one.

People keep saying if you want a car with more power go get a Mustang or some other such vehicle. I guess those folks don't understand buying a car is usually a combination of performance and looks. And to me, while the power/performance specs of the 2015 Mustang is good, it looks horrible and it's over weight.

The twins are the sexiest cars I've seen for long time, since the FD RX-7. The only thing that would make it perfect, for me, is another 20+ more WHP. I mean, seriously, who likes to be passed on the highway by an SUV while driving a "sports car"?

So yes, I would like to have my cake and eat it too, while maintaining my warranty.
DaWorstPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaWorstPlaya For This Useful Post:
frsvr4 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #137
FRS Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post

People keep saying if you want a car with more power go get a Mustang or some other such vehicle. I guess those folks don't understand buying a car is usually a combination of performance and looks. And to me, while the power/performance specs of the 2015 Mustang is good, it looks horrible and it's over weight.

The twins are the sexiest cars I've seen for long time, since the FD RX-7. The only thing that would make it perfect, for me, is another 20+ more WHP. I mean, seriously, who likes to be passed on the highway by an SUV while driving a "sports car"?

So yes, I would like to have my cake and eat it too, while maintaining my warranty.
Coming from a Miata (presuming it's an MX5) you'll get 54 more ponies and another 27 fp of torque in the FRS. Should feel like a decent power upgrade. Have you had a chance to drive the FRS/BRZ yet?

The Mustang GT (and Challenger, Camaro SS, Chevy SS) are different animals entirely with gobs of pull but not much finesse. A modern big displacement RWD V8 with a manual is an absolute blast on the road. You should take one of those out too. Might surprise you.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #138
DaWorstPlaya

Drives: 2016 FR-S
NA Miata is just my auto-x/track toy. My other cars are much more powerful. Yes I have driven the FRS, stock with auto, stock with manual & modded FRSes. Even attended the 1st Scion events to drive the car before it showed up at dealerships. I talked to the guys and that hosted the event and according to them, they had the experimental TRD lowering springs on those cars.

The FRS feels about the same as an NB Miata in power (slightly faster) with slightly worse cornering performance compare to an NA or NB Miata. I've driven Mustangs & Challengers and they are fun, but you can definitely feel the weight and cornering differences. Plus they're not pleasing to my eyes.

Either way .... The FRS is purely an indulgence in looks for me, since late 2012. But if I'm going to buy an FRS, personally I feel it ought to be faster than most trucks and SUVs I share the highway with. It doesn't have to be the fastest sports car out there .... Thus, I've been in a holding pattern till now .... I know at some point I'll have to give in but I don't want to buy a 2015MY only to find out the 2016MY will have more power as some rumors suggest.
DaWorstPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #139
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
I just drove 400 miles yesterday and averaged 33mpg...sometimes being a bit slow has it's benefits
And I've got the OFT and Phantom ESC and my current tank setting on empty reads 33mpg. I had a 20+ mile hilly run in SE Ohio where I averaged 40.3mpg.

The OFT Tune and ESC combine to actually IMPROVE cruising mpg so much that it offsets the extra fuel used when you engage the ESC. My overall average mpg is 3-4 mpg better after the OFT and ESC than it was stock.

+75 ft/lb of torque at 4000 rpm. Between 40-50 peak HP. Makes for a completely different car for $2500 and 2-3 hours of work to install and flash... and you can easily remove it and flash back to stock for visits to the dealer.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
CaptainSlow (08-08-2014), Kronos (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #140
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post

How much money you got?

Jaguar's F-Type Coupe looks a lot like the twins and has a LOT of HP.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote