follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
FR-S vs. BMW Z4 and Miata MX5

I test drove five vehicles while deciding which car to choose. The first one was a 2013 FR-S Series 10 (used, six speed manual), the second and fourth were both used BMW Z4's (one automatic and one manual) and the third one in the middle was the Miata. I finally test drove a 2015 FR-S, which is the one I ended up buying.

My impressions were as follows:

The BMW had gobs of power and especially with the manual tranny you felt like you were shot out of a cannon on accelerating. However, the handling was worse than I expected and did not match up to either the Miata or the FR-S. I must say, however, that I really loved that beautiful BMW six. The automatic seemed kind of pointless to me, but the stick shift performed admirably. Both cars were convertibles, and the windshield and side windows made excellent windscreens. Quite delightful to drive in a straight line.

The Miata actually turned out to be the most disappointing overall. It had good handling, but did not have even as much power from a dead start as the FR-S. Handling was excellent. The deal breaker for me was that I am about 6'1" and I noticed that with the top up, the convertible's metal rib support was about 1 inch in front of my forehead. Any accident and my skull would get crushed. With the top down the top of my head protruded above the top of the windshield. I didn't feel at all safe. Plus, I've just seen too many of them over the years. Not very exciting anymore.

The FR-S did not have the amazing acceleration of the Z4, but simply ran rings around it in the handling department. We have a lot of windy, hilly roads around Lake Travis and the Colorado river so I was able to try out all three models on the same roads. It was obvious immediately that the FR-S had the best handling. In the end, that is what sold me on the car. After a month and a half, I am convinced that I made the right choice.

So there you have it, a thoroughly subjective, unscientific survey with a sample size of five. Hope this is useful!
abraxis (10-25-2014), bedabi (10-30-2014), DAEMANO (10-24-2014), kdmBRZ (10-31-2014), KPR10 (10-25-2014), NWFRS (10-24-2014), Tcoat (10-25-2014), Texas BRZ (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which Miata? I found I always had to lean the seat back quite a bit to get comfortable in the NA/NB Miata because if I was too upright I had issues seeing the dash and out the windows. Haven't driven an NC (not a huge fan of the styling TBH)
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
I test drove five vehicles while deciding which car to choose. The first one was a 2013 FR-S Series 10 (used, six speed manual), the second and fourth were both used BMW Z4's (one automatic and one manual) and the third one in the middle was the Miata. I finally test drove a 2015 FR-S, which is the one I ended up buying.
How did you find the difference between the 13 and 15?
Texas BRZ (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Miata is an awesome car, would love to drive one....never have

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1 @Tcoat's question.

@babydriver: Nice color choice on the FR-S.

Also, I used to own an NC MX-5 and overall, I prefer the FR-S / BRZ (hence my decision to opt for it), although the MX-5 does certain things better... Such as more precise / solid shifting, more racy / responsive engine, and better lasting brakes (possibly due to lower curb weight). Almost everything else, I feel our car is a level up. Other than that, it comes down to wanting a two seat convertible vs. coupe with two extra small back seats.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
abraxis (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas BRZ View Post
+1 @Tcoat's question.

@babydriver: Nice color choice on the FR-S.

Also, I used to own an NC MX-5 and overall, I prefer the FR-S / BRZ (hence my decision to opt for it), although the MX-5 does certain things better... Such as more precise / solid shifting, more racy / responsive engine, and better lasting brakes (possibly due to lower curb weight). Almost everything else, I feel our car is a level up. Other than that, it comes down to wanting a two seat convertible vs. coupe with two extra small back seats.

Shifter is the difference between a transmission mounted shifter and a remote shifter. I've heard that stiffening up the transmission mount and possibly the rest of the shifter bushings helps, but it doesn't bother me enough to perform the upgrades myself.

Engine, yeah, the Miata engine is certainly more high strung and linear. I find the twins have quite a bit more torque so I don't have to rev it out all the time. The Miata feels faster but it's not even close

No idea on brakes as I haven't tracked either car. Then again I'm coming primarily from a MKIII Supra which is ~1000lbs heavier than the BRZ or Miata and has brakes that aren't much bigger than either...

When I did the initial test drive for the BRZ, I noticed it feels a lot like Miata with suspension mods, but rides nicer. YMMV
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
The deal breaker for me was that I am about 6'1" and I noticed that with the top up, the convertible's metal rib support was about 1 inch in front of my forehead. Any accident and my skull would get crushed. With the top down the top of my head protruded above the top of the windshield. I didn't feel at all safe.
Same reasons I never got a Miata. Never felt comfortable in the cockpit at all. Besides, Toyota fixed all those problems and made a better handling car by moving the engine behind the driver. Shame they stopped making it.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Shifter is the difference between a transmission mounted shifter and a remote shifter. I've heard that stiffening up the transmission mount and possibly the rest of the shifter bushings helps, but it doesn't bother me enough to perform the upgrades myself.

Engine, yeah, the Miata engine is certainly more high strung and linear. I find the twins have quite a bit more torque so I don't have to rev it out all the time. The Miata feels faster but it's not even close

No idea on brakes as I haven't tracked either car. Then again I'm coming primarily from a MKIII Supra which is ~1000lbs heavier than the BRZ or Miata and has brakes that aren't much bigger than either...

When I did the initial test drive for the BRZ, I noticed it feels a lot like Miata with suspension mods, but rides nicer. YMMV
The shifting in our car is very good, sorry, I probably made it sound like it wasn't something to be praised for. I have no compaints, and I wouldn't make any modfications either. The Mazda's throws are just a bit more sportier and shorter but not anything significant or to prove ours inferior.

Also agree that our engine feels of more torque. Off the line, the MX-5 feels a bit more quicker, possibly due to the lower weight as well... But who cares about straight line speed in these cars anyway?

Stock suspension vs stock suspension: Excess body roll on the MX-5 (as mentioned in some reviews) , and our car's is more ready for the track... That's why I like our car so much... Because of how ready it is out of the box.

Bottom line is that the Miata is an icon in whichever generation you choose from. If it weren't for the Miata, I don't know if the twins would have been this good or even existed despite being modeled after the Cayman.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
babydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Which Miata? I found I always had to lean the seat back quite a bit to get comfortable in the NA/NB Miata because if I was too upright I had issues seeing the dash and out the windows. Haven't driven an NC (not a huge fan of the styling TBH)
It was a 2015 MX-5 convertible.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
babydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
How did you find the difference between the 13 and 15?
The '15 is a little tighter on the curves and more neutral in steering, but I have to admit that the '13 is FUN to take into curves, seems more lively. Still, the '15 will probably be better at keeping me from killing myself.
Tcoat (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #11
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Which models and years of Z4 did you drive?
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #12
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
The '15 is a little tighter on the curves and more neutral in steering, but I have to admit that the '13 is FUN to take into curves, seems more lively. Still, the '15 will probably be better at keeping me from killing myself.
Almost exactly what I found as well. My 14 with the sway bars and TRD springs was somewhere in between so I think I have the best of both worlds for a DD.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
babydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
Which models and years of Z4 did you drive?
Both were 2005. As a matter of fact, they were identical except for the transmissions, even down to the deep blue color. Both cars were 3.0si models, with the N52B30 engine.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #14
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
LOL @ a 10 year old Z4.
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote