follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #113
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Finally, thank you @dwx

Intakes are a waste of money! There I said it.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #114
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Anyone want to lend me an Injen intake so I can dyno it properly, with a closed hood?
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #115
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Not sure if it's been posted... but what are MAF housing diameters of each intake?

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #116
Vicious LED
Banned

Drives: Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I guess I was quite the dummy to order the Airaid, on the word that it was a 5-6HP/3-4TQ gain :[ Guess I'll be pawning it off and picking up an Injen for myself.
Vicious LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #117
Crossover Auto

Drives: FR-S, BR-Z, 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Regardless of what intake you bought, just spend the money on a tune.

If you don't plan on any tuning and just want to stick with bolt-ons. Pick the intake that makes the most power w/o tuning.
Crossover Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crossover Auto For This Useful Post:
Vicious LED (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #118
showbe
Banned

Drives: A nice one
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
I just really want to see the Airaid retested. No gains from it compared to stock? Something is wrong right?? Or am I reading the results wrong?

I am really interested in the Injen/AFE intake with such great gains now. Compared to buying a Syms intake that cost 1300 with unproven results but it looks so nice and looks like it is a good design. Then throw on a AVO or Zeta SIlicone tube / Drop in Air filter. Is their any chance we can see the results of the Syms Racing Intake made by this Japanese company? It was release last Friday I believe. The design is REALLY intriguing/nice.

And now about the results..

You guys really think they didnt try it again? That is a reason why they had a 2nd car for all the tests.

They are a professional shop. Instead of posters claiming they didnt dyno right which is probably very slim. You people are being really idiotic to think they would mess up doing a dyno. They even had a 2nd car to make sure that they were getting correct results.

They are giving us Data on intakes that is very useful information. Without their contributions to this community then this problem would of never of been seen by the BRZ/FRS community.

People who are saying otherwise are probably owners who dont want to believe the data provided. If you dont think its correct then do your own Dyno and find out your self to see if what they provided was false. Then post it to show us.

Airaid probably already did a dyno to double check their claims and if it was showing any gains I am sure they would of posted the results. Instead they have done nothing except claim that people in their thread are saying positive things but with no factual evidence to back it up.

So thank you for doing these tests. Unlike some posters who arent grateful for free data/information. They are testing/comparing intakes for the benefit of our community. Their is no reason why they would try and show false information when it can be so easily disproved by anyone else or shop. Especially the company it self, Airaid.
showbe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to showbe For This Useful Post:
2forme (10-22-2012), Drift-Office (10-23-2012), nubbster927 (10-23-2012), OmarGC (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #119
OmarGC
My FR-S has 5 gears

Drives: FRS/280z/Tundra
Thanked 1,065 Times in 572 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarGC View Post
Not sure if it's been posted... but what are MAF housing diameters of each intake?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

2JZ - 6870 - stock block - 1000whp?

Instagram: 2jzus
OmarGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #120
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I cant really say I can feel a difference with my Injen intake w/o snorkel, I took my car to the track (1/4 mile) was doing 15.0 with 2.4 60 foots at 94mph. I think maaybe it did but I stay on the line
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #121
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by *KID* View Post
I cant really say I can feel a difference with my Injen intake w/o snorkel, I took my car to the track (1/4 mile) was doing 15.0 with 2.4 60 foots at 94mph. I think maaybe it did but I stay on the line
Removing the snorkel only yields 1-3 HP on a CAI. Since the Injen isn't a CAI, I can't imagine removing the snorkel would do much of anything for it.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #122
Area86

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited SWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Removing the snorkel only yields 1-3 HP on a CAI. Since the Injen isn't a CAI, I can't imagine removing the snorkel would do much of anything for it.
I have a injen intake and I removed the snorkel on mine a few days ago after running with it on for about a month and didn't notice any difference at all.
Area86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #123
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *KID* View Post
I am about to do a 3rd test on the INJEN intake, this time with fellow community member's @BuBlake old intake - one that was getting him CELs to see if there's any issue with his intake as well as to see if I get repeatable performance.

Problem is, with us putting together a turbo FRS for SEMA, I don't have that much time but I'm still on it though. Stay tuned for results on that INJEN intake in a separate thread in mid Nov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area86 View Post
I have a injen intake and I removed the snorkel on mine a few days ago after running with it on for about a month and didn't notice any difference at all.
I'll shed some light to that in the coming days as well.

Stay Tuned...

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #124
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area86 View Post
The mouth of the Injen probably doesn't even touch the mouth of the snorkel.

Injen doesn't make it's power from cold air; it makes it's power from leaning out the stock tune. Tuned it will make just as much power as any other non CAI.

I wish you were close by so I could grab temp readings off your car.

Can anyone with an Injen intake and an ECUTek cable take a couple logs for comparison purposes. I'm almost certain it would be warmer than AIRAID (which is warmer than AFE). It would nice to have figures to back up the theories, though. PM me if you can do this
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #125
Style
LXXXVI

Drives: Dahlia (Raven FR-S)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by showbe View Post

I am really interested in the Injen/AFE intake with such great gains now. Compared to buying a Syms intake that cost 1300 with unproven results but it looks so nice and looks like it is a good design. Then throw on a AVO or Zeta SIlicone tube / Drop in Air filter. Is their any chance we can see the results of the Syms Racing Intake made by this Japanese company? It was release last Friday I believe. The design is REALLY intriguing/nice.

And now about the results..

You guys really think they didnt try it again? That is a reason why they had a 2nd car for all the tests.

They are a professional shop. Instead of posters claiming they didnt dyno right which is probably very slim. You people are being really idiotic to think they would mess up doing a dyno. They even had a 2nd car to make sure that they were getting correct results.

They are giving us Data on intakes that is very useful information. Without their contributions to this community then this problem would of never of been seen by the BRZ/FRS community.

People who are saying otherwise are probably owners who dont want to believe the data provided. If you dont think its correct then do your own Dyno and find out your self to see if what they provided was false. Then post it to show us.

Airaid probably already did a dyno to double check their claims and if it was showing any gains I am sure they would of posted the results. Instead they have done nothing except claim that people in their thread are saying positive things but with no factual evidence to back it up.

So thank you for doing these tests. Unlike some posters who arent grateful for free data/information. They are testing/comparing intakes for the benefit of our community. Their is no reason why they would try and show false information when it can be so easily disproved by anyone else or shop. Especially the company it self, Airaid.
Dude, Dont get me wrong here, I am thankful for the data that has been provided here on the forums. I just think that it's weird that an Intake company would make an intake that has less results than the stock system and sell it. That's all. I'm not saying that Drift Office is just some people on the forums that post. I know they have an office/shop and all the equipment, but its just mind boggling that Airaid would do something like this, make a product that doesn't work for what it is supposed to do, give gains and would still sell it. That's it, and to let you know, this thread actually steered me away from Airaid and start thinking of going with Injen.

Last edited by Style; 10-24-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #126
Spicer66

Drives: Raven 6 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover Auto View Post
Regardless of what intake you bought, just spend the money on a tune.

If you don't plan on any tuning and just want to stick with bolt-ons. Pick the intake that makes the most power w/o tuning.
Are there any negative effects that come along with the engine running leaner over time?
The injen intake and an exhaust are all I really have planned for the short term, unless this intake causes long term issues.
Spicer66 is offline   Reply With Quote