follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #253
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annahra View Post
it gets about 8 mpg better gas mileage.
Gallipolis, Ohio to Cattletsburg, KY = 34.5 mpg over 64 miles in right at an hour. I was liking that. A lot.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
The Following User Says Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
Annahra (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #254
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
Gallipolis, Ohio to Cattletsburg, KY = 34.5 mpg over 64 miles in right at an hour. I was liking that. A lot.
Yeah. Not gonna lie--I've told friends and family I got the car because better gas mileage. Payment and insurance went up switching from the Genesis, but I actually save money every month, even with premium gas.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #255
Atropine

Drives: 2021 Toyota Supra 2020 4Runner
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
One other thing to consider...

Go test drive a Miata...maybe even a Club Edition.

The smaller the car...the more you get that sensation of speed.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #256
Jen

Drives: 2016 WRX, 2016 Corvette Z51 3LT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Sorry to hear about that.

But I'm not suprised if those were abused cars either.
106 miles. Bizarre. And I'm a car person. I'll know if something is off.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #257
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Are you talking about the ticking clickity clacking or something else?

Here's a 'normal' sounding car, as in no real cause for concern:

That was car #1, before I knew about the fuel pump issue. Car #2 was worse. Doing really bizarre stuff. Not "new car" sounds, but "I need a mechanic" sounds.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 PM   #258
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Sometimes I have a hard time following along with you, Jen.

Explain, please.

-Porsche (who's still searching for those photos you said you uploaded, or maybe not...? I'm old and easily confused. )
I wish I could explain. The car is at Toyota in New Holland, PA. I wonder if it's worth looking at these.

I went to Chevy and might get a white Camaro and give the FRS/BRZ some time to work out its issues.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 PM   #259
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
1) is one of the major reasons I bought the car, and 2) long distance commutes, weekend trips to the beach and the mountains, it will suit me just fine.

I guess us sports/performance car junkies are just wired a little different.
Agreed. I drive 40 miles each weekday just in commuting, with generally atrocious side streets (new yorkers will think I'm a wuss compared to their side streets though), and this car is perfectly comfortable. Sure I feel ALL the imperfections of the road, but that makes the drive better knowing exactly what I'm on. I'm not jostled too hard or rattled about, though. I'm fine. Maybe could use a bit more lumbar & tailbone support in the seat, but other than that, I'm comfortable.

One is low enough to the ground to not be jostled severely like if one was higher up from the center of gravity in the car.

This is a sports car with a sport suspension. You're going to feel the road. It's a very polite suspension in that though you're going to feel the road, it's not going to beat you up over it like something like an Elise will.

Like sports cars & sports suspension in a long distance daily? This car is perfectly fine. Only like it on weekend fun drives? Find something else for a daily... Like a luxury sedan whose struts, axles & steering column are greased in novicain.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 04-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #260
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I wish I could explain. The car is at Toyota in New Holland, PA. I wonder if it's worth looking at these.

I went to Chevy and might get a white Camaro and give the FRS/BRZ some time to work out its issues.

Well now, see, there you go again. You're throwing up roadblocks to the FR-S.

And that's okay.

My sense is that, despite how much you appreciate the FR-S, it's just not the car for you today. Not today. In a few years, maybe.

But that's just a "sense" I have based on the things you've written. What do I know?

A new car is expensive, and you don't want to let these people here talk you into buying an FR-S, and then experience buyer's remorse, wishing that instead you'd bought that Camaro that you've liked from the get go.

Jen, it SOUNDS to me as though you'd really prefer the Camaro. I don't know. I cannot know. I do not read minds.

I'm trying to help you see what this car, the FR-S, really IS. After that, it's up to YOU to decide how that may or may not fit YOUR needs. This is a distinction that appears to have been lost on some people.

An educated, balanced, and well-informed decision is your best protection against buyer's remorse.

I'm trying to help you make an INFORMED decision. In order to do that, it's necessary to consider issues beyond just the FUN aspect.

I am reminding you, just in case you've been too distracted by the FUN aspect, which is easy to do ... I'm trying to help you examine some other issues such as ride quality, noise, vibration, and harshness, the cold gearbox issue with MOST of these cars judging from the NUMEROUS threads and posts about the gearbox... I'm trying to help you understand. Better now than after you buy it.

Given your (and your husband's) outright rejection of this car based upon the loud fuel pump ticking alone, I cannot help but suspect that as you discover more serious issues, you'll come to actively dislike this car, on balance. Who knows?

Some people want to tell you what to do.

Not me. That's not my way.

I simply want to help you get a better understanding of what this car IS, what it offers, and some of the various pros and cons. The better you understand this car, the better positioned you will be to make a good purchasing decision.

YOU are the focus. Not me, nor anyone else here. Nobody else counts. Only you.

Do not buy an automobile, or even a pint of ice cream, based on MY preferences.

I would never assume that MY PREFERENCES should be YOUR preferences. I did not waste your time (and mine) telling you about what I like and why. Why would you care?

I have not wasted your time telling you what *I* think about these undeniable traits and characteristics of the FR-S. YOU need to consider these issues, and place them in the context of YOUR needs, desires, personal preferences, etc. Some of the auto magazine writers do not regard the FR-S as an ideal companion on long trips. Many people would not. In fact, MOST PEOPLE WOULD NOT. (This is one of the reasons this is a niche car.)

I'm happy with my BRZ, but why would you care about that? You're not buying me one as a gift, are you? Right, then...

You, Jen, may be one of those who would not care for this car when you discover what it's really like to live with on YOUR daily commute. YOUR personal preferences are what count here, not mine, or these other guys'.

I'm trying to help you see the big picture, assess the pros and cons of this car, and help you understand how it might fit into YOUR WORLD, not someone else's. Not my world, not these other guys' ... YOUR WORLD.

An educated, balanced, and well-informed decision is your best protection against buyer's remorse.

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
Annahra (04-15-2014), strat61caster (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #261
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,822 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post

HELLO .... Jen,... @Porsche, @Atropine and I have suggested you look at a Mazda MX5 (Miata) ...... this car is YOU .... we know .... cause we are old and wise ....

Just go pick it up ... it will make you a happy driver ....
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Atropine (04-15-2014), jjaisli (04-15-2014), Porsche (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 01:49 AM   #262
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
One other thing to consider...

Go test drive a Miata...maybe even a Club Edition.

The smaller the car...the more you get that sensation of speed.
Not necessarily. The Mini is smaller than the 86 and feels more disconnected.

Miata is more sorted, a tad smaller and lighter but exhibits more body roll and has less room in the cockpit. I'd probably get one over the Camaro though.

Personally I've given up on domestics until they rediscover what Pony car means. Ford promised they would but lied to us for the latest stang.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boxer486 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #263
SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
Drifter

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
these cars do feel fast yes but i come from a 1993 toyota markII, inline 6 cyl twin turbo... the frs could use more power and mine will have more power some day, handling characteristics of this car is really driver orientated you are in control even when the ass end is hanging out you still have her in your control
Old 04-15-2014, 05:29 AM   #264
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Remember, too, what I wrote many days ago: This is a hard-riding, noisy car, and not well-suited for long distance commuting over poor roads. I'm not sure whether you have it in you to embrace the experience and find it to be a positive one on balance.

What surprises me the most about this car is how well it does on long distance interstate trips, a lot better than a Miata or s2k or about any other car that handles this well. Someone called the twins swiss army knives and I like that description.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
Boxer486 (04-15-2014), humfrz (04-15-2014), Porsche (04-15-2014), robwbright (04-15-2014), SirBrass (04-16-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #265
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
HELLO .... Jen,... @Porsche, @Atropine and I have suggested you look at a Mazda MX5 (Miata) ...... this car is YOU .... we know .... cause we are old and wise ....

Just go pick it up ... it will make you a happy driver ....
Don't like miatas at all. Thanks though

Thanks everyone for all of your advice!! Especially Porsche

I wish this thing didn't have so many issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jen For This Useful Post:
Atropine (04-15-2014), humfrz (04-15-2014), Porsche (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #266
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I think quirks is a better term to use than issues. No doubt these cars are a raw experience and lack the refinement of many similiar priced cars. This was the first 4 cylinder car I had ever owned coming from a 100% V8 history, the sounds took some getting used to. An aftermarket exhaust does wonders in changing the basic essence of the car and covering up some of the "4 banger" sound.

At the end of the day, this car will not dissapoint in the fun to drive category but that might not be enough to overcome some of the short comings. Really it comes down to personal preference. Good luck with your decision!
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
Annahra (04-15-2014)

Closed Thread

Tags
camaro vs crickets, pushrodslol, trollmageddon, where's my popcorn