follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2016, 03:08 AM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
If you have a mustache, you are golden. When I was buying this car, I totally didn't trust the salesman because he didn't have a mustache.
I don't have one so you shouldn't even believe anything I'm saying here.
Well, I don't have a mustache, but I do have a bit of a pot belly, like to wear sweater vests (which hides my suspenders), have quite an assortment of white socks and, as you know, can tell stories about the good old days for hours on end .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 03:08 AM   #30
Watch Me Run

Drives: Celica
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
If you have a mustache, you are golden. When I was buying this car, I totally didn't trust the salesman because he didn't have a mustache.
I don't have one so you shouldn't even believe anything I'm saying here.
LOL
Old 10-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #31
ToyotaFan84

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There's really nothing I can add that hasn't already been said here, but here's my 2 cents nonetheless.

1) Buying a new car is very much a novelty experience. I feel that the only conventional way to offset the depreciation is to hold onto the car for a very long time and get your money's worth out of it. You can put a price on the tangible components of the car, but you can't put a price on how useful and enjoyable the car has been to you.

2) Any relatively cheap sporty model car is going to attract young men that will drive the car hard and mod it. Our cars definitely fall into that category and none of these things look particularly good to a potential used car buyer that is primarily concerned with cheap reliable transportation. The twins are targeted to a niche demographic and that isn't going to expand, especially as our cars age. When our cars depreciate enough, guess which group of people are going to be the most interested in these cars? The young men/boys of today that can't afford it right now.

The twins that retain their value the best are going to be the ones that were left stock and are still in great condition years from now (e.g. the clean Type-R Integras with low miles that you see today). So regardless of whether you use the car a lot or barely touch it, a new car owner will have to hold onto the car for a long time to really get the value of it.
ToyotaFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToyotaFan84 For This Useful Post:
darthpnoy1984 (10-30-2016), why? (12-07-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 02:51 PM   #32
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan84 View Post
So regardless of whether you use the car a lot or barely touch it, a new car owner will have to hold onto the car for a long time to really get the value of it.
Factoring inflation into it, you have to keep a car you bought new about 50 to 60 years before the value exceeds what you paid for it. And even then, you don't actually make any money because of the costs of storing and maintaining it all those years and the cost of restoration if you weren't able to keep it in pristine original condition, which is next to impossible outside of Arizona.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
ToyotaFan84 (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 02:54 PM   #33
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan84 View Post
There's really nothing I can add that hasn't already been said here, but here's my 2 cents nonetheless.

1) Buying a new car is very much a novelty experience. I feel that the only conventional way to offset the depreciation is to hold onto the car for a very long time and get your money's worth out of it. You can put a price on the tangible components of the car, but you can't put a price on how useful and enjoyable the car has been to you.

2) Any relatively cheap sporty model car is going to attract young men that will drive the car hard and mod it. Our cars definitely fall into that category and none of these things look particularly good to a potential used car buyer that is primarily concerned with cheap reliable transportation. The twins are targeted to a niche demographic and that isn't going to expand, especially as our cars age. When our cars depreciate enough, guess which group of people are going to be the most interested in these cars? The young men/boys of today that can't afford it right now.

The twins that retain their value the best are going to be the ones that were left stock and are still in great condition years from now (e.g. the clean Type-R Integras with low miles that you see today). So regardless of whether you use the car a lot or barely touch it, a new car owner will have to hold onto the car for a long time to really get the value of it.

Stock ITR's and GSR are unicorn these days hell I even see the salvage ones fetches $$$$. Supply and demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
funwheeldrive (10-31-2016), ToyotaFan84 (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #34
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
54k miles, 2013, will have completed 4 years of ownership in January of 2017.

kbb is predicts just a bit more than $14k private party resale, $12.5k dealership trade in.

According to Edmunds estimation on the prior page a 4 year old car is worth 49% of what I paid for it, at $25k sticker price the car should be worth ~$12.5k

If I include tax title license that would be ~$28k depreciated to $13.7k

So it's actually BETTER than industry averages from where I'm sitting, and I don't think I'd have any problem finding a buyer at >$15k given that I know the car is solid.

No, it doesn't hold value like a Corolla or Tacoma, but you bought a sports car which usually get hit by depreciation WORSE than a more popular body style, cheap ones even more so. The fact that this thing is matching and even beating industry averages is a fucking miracle.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-30-2016), extrashaky (10-30-2016), Mim (10-30-2016), unhappymeal (10-31-2016), why? (12-07-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #35
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
So it's actually BETTER than industry averages from where I'm sitting, and I don't think I'd have any problem finding a buyer at >$15k given that I know the car is solid.
I don't know about that, like I said, I'm having trouble selling my 34k mile car in the Bay Area. I think around here, enough people have enough money that they see the 25k sticker price on a new car and just go for it. I could let the car go for 15k through various car buying services, but at that price I might as well trade in to a dealer and with sales tax discount, effectively get ~15.5k for the car. Only problem is I have no place to park another car, even if I want one.

One thing I've noticed is that automatic twins are extremely hard to sell. The dealer I got my FR-S from had accidentally listed the car as automatic and could not get rid of it for over 2 months, and was clearly desperate to unload it. I talked them down over 1.5k IIRC.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #36
darthpnoy1984

Drives: 15 ZN6 Asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I don't know about that, like I said, I'm having trouble selling my 34k mile car in the Bay Area. I think around here, enough people have enough money that they see the 25k sticker price on a new car and just go for it. I could let the car go for 15k through various car buying services, but at that price I might as well trade in to a dealer and with sales tax discount, effectively get ~15.5k for the car. Only problem is I have no place to park another car, even if I want one.

One thing I've noticed is that automatic twins are extremely hard to sell. The dealer I got my FR-S from had accidentally listed the car as automatic and could not get rid of it for over 2 months, and was clearly desperate to unload it. I talked them down over 1.5k IIRC.

Funny how much hate the auto gets at least I know where I can bargains at lol 😂😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #37
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Honestly, the depreciation is the reason I bought one. Before I bought mine, I missed a 2013 with 35k miles that a DEALER was asking 16 grand for. Somebody snatched that up pretty quickly. At that point, you're looking at a lightly used car that's actually fun for the price of some new econo, turd appliance. Really, the only reason not to get one is if you need something more practical.

As far as depreciation, I was looking about six months waiting for a good example locally. In that time, I looked at an aweful lot of garbage vehicles. Plasti dipped emblems that they didn't bother to actually coat properly or remove all the overspray, cheap crappy HID kits, smoked-in interiors. Poorly taken care of paint was a pretty common one. I don't know if a lot of that would have been apparent to the casual car buyer but I was amazed how many of these things were coming up for sale in shit tier condition, and with fewer than 40k miles no less. Remembering what the golf I bought new looked like at 40k miles, I struggle to understand how someone can manage to destroy a car so quickly.

Crappy condition on that large a scale makes it into the blue book calculators one way or another since actual sale prices are a factor in their estimates. Combine that with the fact that it is a niche vehicle and fairly impractical and I could see how major depreciation occurred. I'm not complaining though. Buy in at the right time like I did and you can get your self a lot of car for your money.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
darthpnoy1984 (10-30-2016), Mr.Impreza (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #38
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I always estimated resale vs age as 1st yr -20%, then -10% per year for the next few years. Seems consistent with most brands. Higher end North American cars can drop as much as 1/3 in the first year.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #39
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
We seem to be a little luckier in Australia well at least for BRZ's. I searched a bunch of online car sites like www.carsales.com.au and (on average) BRZ prices are staying pretty high. Looking at similar MY15's to my own, the depreciation after two years appears to be around 20~25%.

In following Wheels and Motor magazine's for the past few months, BRZ sales have totaled 8 a month in July and August and a big fat zero in September. Perhaps people are holding off for an MY17, but these lower numbers are keeping used prices pretty high.

Interestingly at the back of one of the two publications they listed the BRZ as their #3 most likely to become a cult car in the years to come due to their rarity relative to the number of 86's out there. Food for thought for people looking to buy the fantastic looking MY17 update.

As much as people are bitching and moaning about our twins not getting FI from the factory with each years update, this stance has led to far more stable re-sale prices. Imagine what your NA cars would be worth used the moment a factory released FI version lands?

As for the 86's their prices were only a few k off the BRZ's I was seeing used.

TL;DR Our cars are holding their value perfectly fine and in fact, far better than anyone ever expected.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB

Last edited by Mim; 10-30-2016 at 07:13 PM.
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #40
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Me Run View Post
2017's are so much better in interior quality, really overshadows the 2013 in many respects.
It's not that nice.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #41
Pacific Auto
Master Installer

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sorry guys but our twins are on the below than average spectrum.

Anyways here's a quick list of similar vehicles. Most are cheaper/worst cars getting higher resale values. And no I didn't choose the highest prices ones, there was dozens similar to these.

'13 WRX $21k https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/5816572213.html
'12 WRX $19k https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...850269848.html
'13 Miata $20k https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/5849535607.html
'12 miata $20k https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...839266502.html
'13 370z $20k https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ctd/5822089388.html
'12 TC $16k https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5850912755.html
'13 Genesis Coupe $17k https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/5846410498.html
'12 Mustange V6 $18k https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/5815839491.html

KBB is just a guide. In my experience their prices are 9/10 times way lower than the actual market is.

It is what it is. All you can do it learn from your mistakes and try not to repeat them in the future. Just a shame that my 06 Tacoma is worth almost the same as my twin.

Last edited by Pacific Auto; 10-30-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Pacific Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:58 PM   #42
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
As far as depreciation, I was looking about six months waiting for a good example locally. In that time, I looked at an aweful lot of garbage vehicles. Plasti dipped emblems that they didn't bother to actually coat properly or remove all the overspray, cheap crappy HID kits, smoked-in interiors. Poorly taken care of paint was a pretty common one. I don't know if a lot of that would have been apparent to the casual car buyer but I was amazed how many of these things were coming up for sale in shit tier condition, and with fewer than 40k miles no less. Remembering what the golf I bought new looked like at 40k miles, I struggle to understand how someone can manage to destroy a car so quickly.
My paint looks like absolute shit to anybody who cares to look at it. The only way these things will have good looking paint 5+ years after they roll out of the factory will be the cars fortunate enough to spend most of their time in a garage and those with anal retentive owners from day one.

A good detail can probably bring mine up to 8/10 minus the places where it's lifted, but I'd have to put some serious effort into fixing the dings and scrapes that have accumulated.

I'm glad I don't plan on selling it and worrying about resale.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
why? (12-07-2016)