follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #29
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Agreed!! I've driven 240SX conversions with SR20DET and LOVE that car.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #30
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Lexus IS 200/300. You can pick-up your female class-mates, while the car is still sporty and fun to drive. It has one the best best engines possible after a boxer engine: I6. It sounds very good and is reliable.
if inline sixes were that good i would imagine more people would still use them. the IS is barely a sports car. nice cars though imo.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #31
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
if inline sixes were that good i would imagine more people would still use them. the IS is barely a sports car. nice cars though imo.
Haha! Don't tell that to me. Tell that to BMW. I personaly was and yet am against the FI I6 in the new M3/M4. I wanted it to be the FI V6.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #32
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Haha! Don't tell that to me. Tell that to BMW. I personaly was and yet am against the FI I6 in the new M3/M4. I wanted it to be the FI V6.
bmw does not use them because they are the best. they use them because that was the configuration of some of their most legendary cars. there is no denying that the i6 are long and force extra engine in front of the wheels. like the boxer, i think the i6 is a cool design but it typically provides packaging issues.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #33
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I6s are long, so they need more space compared to V6s. But as long as being mounted far back and the rest of the engineering is good. No problem with weight balance.. Due to length, not usable for FWD cars..
As far as I know, the main reason manufacturers have gone away from it are because of space (packaging under the hood as mentioned).If you want the most practical car for its length, shorter engines are better.

The straight six SOUND and the smoothness of a great balanced engine are the main selling points for I6s. BMWs are known for their straight six engines, and have managed to hold on to them. Something which makes them even more unique in this day and age.
Maybe they will even have an production advantage in the near future? I3 are basically an I6 cut in half.. :p
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
I6s are long, so they need more space compared to V6s. But as long as being mounted far back and the rest of the engineering is good. No problem with weight balance.. Due to length, not usable for FWD cars..
As far as I know, the main reason manufacturers have gone away from it are because of space (packaging under the hood as mentioned).If you want the most practical car for its length, shorter engines are better.

The straight six SOUND and the smoothness of a great balanced engine are the main selling points for I6s. BMWs are known for their straight six engines, and have managed to hold on to them. Something which makes them even more unique in this day and age.
Maybe they will even have an production advantage in the near future? I3 are basically an I6 cut in half.. :p
with the focus of the auto industry shifting i cant see them going back to them. that is okay with me because it retains the allure/nostalgia feel of the old supras and skylines. the i3 thing is technically half an i6 but it doesnt have that whole balance thing about it but that is what makes those old triples so cool.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #35
RaceR

Quote:
with the focus of the auto industry shifting i cant see them going back to them. that is okay with me because it retains the allure/nostalgia feel of the old supras and skylines. the i3 thing is technically half an i6 but it doesnt have that whole balance thing about it but that is what makes those old triples so cool.
Straight six.. Cool...
Cut it in half.. Yeah, still cool!

I have high hopes for the I3s. I only see lots of good things about them.
Lower weight, great weight distribution, great efficiency, probably great sound, prototypes already sounds pretty good if you ask me. Lower production costs..
I expect them to sound better than I4..
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #36
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
Straight six.. Cool...
Cut it in half.. Yeah, still cool!

I have high hopes for the I3s. I only see lots of good things about them.
Lower weight, great weight distribution, great efficiency, probably great sound, prototypes already sounds pretty good if you ask me. Lower production costs..
I expect them to sound better than I4..
imo the triples sound better in bikes but i dont know how that translates into car sized engines. either way, im glad people are finding out
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
RaceR

Quote:
imo the triples sound better in bikes but i dont know how that translates into car sized engines. either way, im glad people are finding out
OP, sorry.. Me and fatoni are just "bumping" you post a little so people notice it.. :p

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GE6SGcT_eI"]BMW Dreizylinder-Testfahrt als Turbo-Benziner mit 130 kW, verbaut im 1er F20 - YouTube[/ame]

Hard to judge from a video. But sounds pretty good for a 3 cylinder prototype in my ears..Better than I4 in my opinion.

BMW I8 will probably have 1.5L I3 producing around 225hp (+ electric motor) Would be strange if it sounded bad in a sportscar of that caliber..
The Following User Says Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
fatoni (12-18-2012)