follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #29
Kratzogram

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7MErUOXQqM"]Fredric Asbo's Scion TC | Tech Tour with builder Stephan Papadakis - YouTube[/ame]

check that vid out.

I love the 2AR and Papadakis's TC2 is my favorite car in FD. I don't know about your target hp for daily driving but hey it's your car!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #30
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
OK I'm done taking this conversation as a serious one.

Enjoy finding your "500hp just for fun" with your 2AR-FE or whatever else engine you want to dream of.

I have to agree on Alex on this -- It's hard to take things seriously when you are looking to make 500hp from anything less than an LS seem 'easy' and 'for fun'. Additionally -- Crawford Performance is the last place you want to go for reliable/cheap/big power.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
itsjustdavep (03-24-2017), Sportsguy83 (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #31
DrifterD

Drives: 15' Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Mustang seems more like the car for you
DrifterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #32
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FReSh-af View Post
Can anybody point me in the right direction with my idea for a 2AR-FE DD?
#1: i enjoy outside the box ideas and whatever you want to spend your time and money on is your business.

#2: that being said I can personally tell you that trying using the idea of Aasbo's engine is a bad one. I can personally tell you how many issues Steph and the crew had keeping that engine in one piece and how many times they had to swap it at an event. it's NOT a practical engine and there is a reason they ran it with the Tc and why they continue to run it today (because Toyota is providing support to the program = $$$$).

#3: 500hp is a huge engine build for a DD and is still a big number for any weekend drifter. there is a reason why the vast majority of weekend drifters just go the LS route. cheap and easy power and even they rarely get to 500hp.
I don't know what your experience level is as a drifter but unless it's well above amateur level, 500hp in an frs/brz is going to be a fun burnout/donut machine but getting it to drift is just going to be a handful.

I hope my post doesn't come off as too critical and again you are free to spend your time and money however you want but I encourage you to give it a 2nd thought coming from someone who has a pretty good handle on the drifting world.

cheers!

Last edited by e_lunatic; 04-03-2017 at 02:11 AM.
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #33
BRX

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sorry about reviving an old thread but I have grown an interest in this engine and I might have swapped it in my 86 instead of the 3UR if I heard about it before. Both engines have a lot if similarities, I see the 2AR as 1/2 of a 3UR if that makes sense. You can actually use the 2AR valve train in a 3UR.

Anyway it's "too late" to go back now but I'm planning to swap a 2AR in my 1977 Celica with a GT3076R for 300whp. And if or when it goes, I can just get another one from a junk yard for less than $1000. IMO this engine should have came in the twins from factory. Light, reliable, and a very good base to build on. If I ever get my hands on another 86/BRZ chassis I'll swap this in in a heart beat.
BRX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2arfe, 4 cylinder, daily driver, frs, swap