follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Bushhy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post If You Have Had Your Throw-Out Bearing Go Bad!

I am trying to compile a list to use in my arguement with Subaru about getting this issue resolved and hopefully a recall put out about it.

Please post below in this format and I will add you to the list.

Month And Year Issue Happened:
Build Date/Year:
How Many Miles:
Did Warranty Cover:

Thanks everyone!

1. Stang70Fastback -- 34,000 Miles -- Covered Under Warranty
2. SLVRSRFR -- 84,150km -- Covered Under Warranty -- August 2012

Last edited by Bushhy; 10-24-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Bushhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm not 100% sure it was the throwout bearing causing the creak, but mine was replaced at ~34,000 miles, along with the pressure plate, clutch disk, and flywheel. All done under warranty. More details here:

http://www.seriesblueadventures.com/...nder-warranty/
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
You do know that TSBs are only a document to say how to fix something not a document that says it needs to be fixed, right?

I do wish you luck though.
SLVRSRFR (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I just had mine fail last Sunday. 84,150km approximately. My car is an August 2012 build.

Throw-out bearing and pressure plate fully covered under 5-year/100k powertrain warranty, although the service manager told me directly he may have to pull some strings and deal with some resistance from Subaru for the claim. I had the car back in my hands by Thursday (Subaru had it for 3 days total, and it was finished on Wednesday, but I couldn't get there to pick it up before they closed that day).

Clutch and other components were not damaged by the bearing failure and I elected to leave them as is for now (55% left on clutch).

Month and year: October, 2016.
Mileage: 84,150km (approx.)
Warranty covered: Yes.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 10-24-2016 at 01:46 PM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SLVRSRFR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
Bushhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
I just had mine fail last Sunday. 84,150km approximately. My car is an August 2012 build.

Throw-out bearing and pressure plate fully covered under 5-year/100k powertrain warranty, although the service manager told me directly he may have to pull some strings and deal with some resistance from Subaru for the claim. I had the car back in my hands by Thursday (Subaru had it for 3 days total, and it was finished on Wednesday, but I couldn't get there to pick it up before they closed that day).

Clutch and other components were not damaged and I elected to leave them as is for now (55% left on clutch).

Month and year: October, 2016.
Mileage: 84,150km (approx.)
Warranty covered: Yes.
Man this makes me mad. Not at you, but at subaru. Im at 32,000 miles, but im a 2013, and they refuse to cover the bearing. No matter what I say.

Can you PM me the work-order so I can take it to my dealer?
Old 10-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushhy View Post
Man this makes me mad. Not at you, but at subaru. Im at 32,000 miles, but im a 2013, and they refuse to cover the bearing. No matter what I say.

I'll see if I can do that.

Could be a difference between Canada and US? Shouldn't make a difference though, but maybe. My work-order may not help your cause because I'm in Canada and your dealer might use that as another excuse to not do it.

I will say that, going into this, before I had even dropped the car off at Subaru (failure happened on Sunday, when they were closed, so I didn't drop the car off until Monday), I had already assumed that it wasn't going to be covered, based on all of the research I had done online, and after reading many threads similar to this. I had fully expected and prepared myself for it to not be covered, and expected to be staring down the barrel of a large repair bill. Needless to say it came as a shock when he called me to say it was covered. A nice shock, but a shock none-the-less!

I should also mention that I am well-known at the dealership that I service at, and the service manager has "helped me out" before with a warranty claim that I also didn't think would be covered...as mentioned earlier, he said to me directly this time that he would probably have to fight some resistance from Subaru to get the claim approved, but said "that's my problem" before handing me the keys.

This is why I will be a life-long customer at this particular dealership. Customer service like this goes a LONG way.

EDIT: you should add a line for people to post the year/build-date of their vehicle as well. My car is a 2013 model year, but an August 2012 build, so I must have one of the early cars.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #7
Bushhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
I'll see if I can do that.

Could be a difference between Canada and US? Shouldn't make a difference though, but maybe.

I will say that, going into this, I had already assumed that it wasn't going to be covered, based on all of the research I had done online, and after reading many threads similar to this. I had fully expected and prepared myself for it to not be covered, and prepared to be staring down the barrel of a large repair bill. Needless to say it came as a shock when he called me to say it was covered. A nice shock, but a shock none-the-less!

I should also mention that I am well-known at the dealership that I service at, and the service manager has "helped me out" before with a warranty claim that I also didn't think would be covered...he said to me directly that he would probably have to fight some resistance from Subaru to get the claim approved, but said "that's my problem" before handing me the keys.

This is why I will be a life-long customer at this particular dealership. Customer service like this goes a LONG way.

EDIT: you should add a line for people to post the year/build-date of their vehicle as well.
Smart idea on the Year/Build-Date. Thanks man
Old 10-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushhy View Post

I have read a pile about the TOBs and it seems about 50% were covered under warranty. Seems to be left pretty much up to the dealer's discretion. If you had any clutch modes (swapped master, removed spring, etc) and the dealer spotted it they very well may not repair under warranty. Technically it is a "wear" item and isn't covered by most car manufacturers.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Mine went out at around 50k on my '13 brz. I just replaced it myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote