follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #295
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I think what we have seen is the guys that want more power and did something about it don't feel they ruined the car. The guys that are fine with the power but still understand why other want it also don't think it ruins the car. Not really sure that there were many trying to hide their desire.

All in all it simply boils down to what you want out of the car. There is nothing that can ruin it if that is what that certain owner is after. A 300HP stripped down drag beast would definitely "ruin" the car for my needs but mine would totally suck for the dude that wants to go faster but isn't worried about a back seat, air conditioning, replacing tires due to wear, the risk of reliability issues, etc, etc. One person's "ruined" is another's perfect.
Right, the beauty of the aftermarket. The discussion always circles back around to why wasn't it this fast to start with? The factory should have done such and such. That always seems very simple, but I can assure you Toyota and Subaru have TEAMs of people to make sure each car is optimized for the marketplace. Can it be improved? Sure, but you are going to give up something in return.

This is an enthusiast site, just about everyone on here modifies their car at least a little, but I wonder how many overall remain 100% stock.
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SCQTT For This Useful Post:
8RZ (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #296
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think what we have seen is the guys that want more power and did something about it don't feel they ruined the car. The guys that are fine with the power but still understand why other want it also don't think it ruins the car. Not really sure that there were many trying to hide their desire.

All in all it simply boils down to what you want out of the car. There is nothing that can ruin it if that is what that certain owner is after. A 300HP stripped down drag beast would definitely "ruin" the car for my needs but mine would totally suck for the dude that wants to go faster but isn't worried about a back seat, air conditioning, replacing tires due to wear, the risk of reliability issues, etc, etc. One person's "ruined" is another's perfect.
300HP is not enough for drag strip, not even close. Make it more like 400+ to be taken seriously there. And, I have never intended to do a drag car modification. I chose JRSC so that I could keep the handling/performance characteristics and avoid taking high reliability risks.

I am not sure what you mean by back seat, air conditioning, or tire wear. I assume those comments are about a drag car. Regarding your reliability comment, it would be a irrelevant to discuss the reliability of a drag car so I will comment about the reliability of my daily driving FR-S. Sure, the engine is strained more than stock. But there has not been any sign of a reliability issue after more than 12000 miles. If there is, I am sure I can fix it. The advisors and technicians in the Toyota dealer are ecstatic when they see the car every time. I receive comments from multiple advisors when I go there. Although I only talk to a single advisor for my other cars, technicians also come over to talk and comment about the supercharged FR-S. I have never heard anything from them other than a pleasant chat about the supercharger. I have specifically asked them, if they were willing to provide service. The advisor said "sure".

We seem to be both happy, just like you said. That makes a happy world
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #297
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Right, the beauty of the aftermarket. The discussion always circles back around to why wasn't it this fast to start with? The factory should have done such and such. That always seems very simple, but I can assure you Toyota and Subaru have TEAMs of people to make sure each car is optimized for the marketplace. Can it be improved? Sure, but you are going to give up something in return.

This is an enthusiast site, just about everyone on here modifies their car at least a little, but I wonder how many overall remain 100% stock.
I have been preaching this ^ for 4 years.

Doesn't matter what they do to improve it anyway. They make the handling better guys will still change all the suspension. They make the 300hp beast that so many scream for people will bump it up to 500. They put the best sticky tires with the lightest wheels ever made on it and many will have them changed to something else before 100 miles are up.
The whole idea of modding a car is to get what you as an individual want out of it so looking for conscientious on what is good or bad is a fools game where there will never be a winner.

New ones probably have more that stay stock (or very close to stock). This forum does not represent the majority. Used ones probably get heavier duty mods since prices open the car up to a larger market.
8RZ (05-03-2018), Dadhawk (05-03-2018), RToyo86 (05-03-2018), Sapphireho (05-03-2018), SCQTT (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #298
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Don't most car parts bolt on?
Seems like a good portion of the parts on our cars snap on with shitty plastic clips that break.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #299
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
300HP is not enough for drag strip, not even close. Make it more like 400+ to be taken seriously there. And, I have never intended to do a drag car modification. I chose JRSC so that I could keep the handling/performance characteristics and avoid taking high reliability risks.

I am not sure what you mean by back seat, air conditioning, or tire wear. I assume those comments are about a drag car. Regarding your reliability comment, it would be a irrelevant to discuss the reliability of a drag car so I will comment about the reliability of my daily driving FR-S. Sure, the engine is strained more than stock. But there has not been any sign of a reliability issue after more than 12000 miles. If there is, I am sure I can fix it. The advisors and technicians in the Toyota dealer are ecstatic when they see the car every time. I receive comments from multiple advisors when I go there. Although I only talk to a single advisor for my other cars, technicians also come over to talk and comment about the supercharged FR-S. I have never heard anything from them other than a pleasant chat about the supercharger. I have specifically asked them, if they were willing to provide service. The advisor said "sure".

We seem to be both happy, just like you said. That makes a happy world

I think you may have been misunderstand what I was saying. None of what I said was a critique or dismissal of power mods. I was simply pointing out why they are not what I want at this point in time. You are defending your personal choices when I was actually agreeing with you.

I was just throwing the commonly used number out there I know 300 would not cut it. I just used drag car as the extreme it was not intended to encompass all heavy modded cars or imply they all hit a strip.

Yes, I was talking about people that strip their cars down. Not saying not to or it is wrong just saying that for ME it would defeat the purpose for which I bought it. To pull all of the things that keep it practical for my needs out to save a bit of weight and increase speed a tiny bit would not make sense to ME. I rarely get to open it up and use what power it has as it is so don't need to go looking for more.

There are loads of guys that have totally reliable FI cars but each individual success story does not mean there is not increased level of risk. I am not prepared to take that risk. I need my car road worthy every day with the lowest possibility of failure possible. Even if there is an problem and I can fix it (or have it fixed) I would rather reduce the risk of an issue to start with. The definition of "daily driver" is also very different for some people. Don't know how much you drive daily but for me 12,000 miles was done in my first three months of ownership.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #300
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Seems like a good portion of the parts on our cars snap on with shitty plastic clips that break.
A good portion of parts on all cars made in the last 10 or so years snap on with shitty plastic clips that break. I wish I had seen that coming as I would have started the SPCTB fastener company and would be a millionaire by now.
Dadhawk (05-03-2018), extrashaky (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #301
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
+1

@Tcoat beats me to the punch on this one, that is almost exactly what I was going to add to the discussion.

Mods (owner or factory) never "ruin" a car, it just may give it a different mission as long as done purposeful and with complete consideration.

Yes, 200HP to a stock 86 with no other changes would probably make it unsafe to drive, but if you modify the remaining parts to accommodate the HP the car would handle it fine. The question is do you want to spend the money to do everything that needs to be done?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #302
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't think adding more power will ruin the car. In fact, I think the only people it would ruin it for, are those who don't actually own said modded car!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #303
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I don't think adding more power will ruin the car. In fact, I think the only people it would ruin it for, are those who don't actually own said modded car!
Implying that everybody should want more power?
Old 05-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #304
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Implying that everybody should want more power?
No.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #305
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I'm feeling ornery, so I'll say it.

Enough of these cars show up wrapped around trees or otherwise destroyed by people that can't handle the car as it sits... more power would not help. I like my insurance rates being higher than I like, but still affordable... I've seen them go up simply because the vehicle has been categorized as higher risk already...

Everything out there would do well with a good deal less power.
8RZ (05-03-2018), PhyrraM (05-03-2018), Tcoat (05-03-2018), Yoshoobaroo (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #306
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I'm feeling ornery, so I'll say it.

Enough of these cars show up wrapped around trees or otherwise destroyed by people that can't handle the car as it sits... more power would not help. I like my insurance rates being higher than I like, but still affordable... I've seen them go up simply because the vehicle has been categorized as higher risk already...

Everything out there would do well with a good deal less power.

THIS is the real curse. I saw it happen with the original WRX in North America. 2002, same insurance as a Civic (or base Impreza). 2004 "sports car" insurance rates.
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #307
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I think the Twins need a little more power.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Hahaha
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-03-2018), Yoshoobaroo (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #308
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just give us a improved header with more torque please!
Even offer one through TRD.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote