follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #267
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Did you see I mentioned it doesn't have the "reliability" stigma associated with it compared to a Toyota? Sorry, I'll take a Toyota reliable motor over some dudes opinion on the badge on the front of the car.
yeah i ignored that because in japan subaru is more known for quality build than toyota is. regardless that's not even a good point because even though there are disadvantages, there are still some serious advantages to the boxer that make even some toyota guys willing to overlook the subaru badge. what are the engineering advantages to having to be a scion?

Quote:
I think you overlooked what I was saying because I didn't say you were wrong for not liking the image. I was conveying that imo...the "purist" are not about "being purist". They are pretending that, that's what it's about, when it's about the image. Just saying, keep it real...
scion has an image of not keeping it real. and purists hate that. why is that so hard to understand?
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #268
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
yeah i ignored that because in japan subaru is more known for quality build than toyota is. regardless that's not even a good point because even though there are disadvantages, there are still some serious advantages to the boxer that make even some toyota guys willing to overlook the subaru badge. what are the engineering advantages to having to be a scion?

Are you saying Toyota forgot how to make a great engine? Subaru makes better engines than Toyota? Yea sorry man, have to agree to disagree there. I don't live in Japan, so can't comment on that. I live in the states.

I can think of quite a few, but those would be my opinions and I'm sure you would differ and we would just go back and forth stating our opinions and neither would be wrong or right...in our own eyes.

Quote:
scion has an image of not keeping it real. and purists hate that. why is that so hard to understand?
Everyone has an opinion, that's not hard to understand.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #269
Garage1217

Drives: 93 mr2 turbo, 00 avalon, 08 xD
I for one am pleased. I have owned both subarus and countless toyotas over the years. I love the boxer motor / the ej series I ran and they were every bit as reliable as the toyotas I have owned. And I also have purchased 2 scions new / still own one. You guys literally have zero clue as to what pure price is and how it works when purchasing a car. If this thing came out a toyota, you would be paying $5K+ premiums for the first 2 years or the dealer would not even bother with you. That and all the dealer BS about hooking you up below invoice after prices drop makes me laugh my ass off lol dealers can hose you 40 ways from Sunday and 99% of you think you still got a deal of a lifetime. I would actually never buy a new car again from any dealer unless it was pure price after the last 2 purchases.

And seriously? You guys thought this would come out as a Toyota? Did most of you read about the vision of this car? It was practically written on the wall that it would be a scion in the us as toyota itself is no longer an enthusiast company and scion, whether you like it or not has drawn a massive amount of enthusiasts from all walks, many of which are why you stereotype scion. That and the tC2 is pretty much a hideous flop and the iQ just does not make sense to most of us, so either they put a kick ass ride up for sale to re-gain some ground or scion ends up folding. Do any of you know what the name scion actually means? "descendant of" and when a car is set to be the so called re-incarnation of an ae86... well sort of fit to brand it as such. Also, during the unveiling of the xB2 and xD in Miami where scion flew 300 of us owners out to party for a few days / had that rapper guy ludicrous or whatever his name is play a private gig for us, the engineers on site were already hinting about a RWD scion to be one of the next cars they were planning to have in the scion lineup, well that was the direction they wanted to go. So when many of us in the scion community first came across the new RWD / subaru powered project... We pretty much all knew they would never brand it as a toyota.

Anyways, get over the name and enjoy the ride! Cannot wait myself
Garage1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #270
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #271
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
I'm come to realize that with the FT-86 being a low volume car, that most dealers won't see a whole lot of them at any given point...meaning a waiting list....meaning dealer markup because other turds will pay the premium to have it first.

Scion can't do that.

When I worked at a yota dealership there was a waiting list for the tC of buyers who were set on buying the car. Everyone paid the same price though.
Mute point here. Just sign up for one of the SOA VIP Partners. Wait 6 months. Then get your Subaru 216a for ~$1300-3300 off MSRP with no haggling and no waiting. You walk in with your piece of paper and they sell you what is on the lot or will order exactly what you want. No haggling. No waiting in line. Nada. PLUS you get any SOA cash back or incentives on top of that. Can't beat that. Just sign up with one of the partners. Have 6 months of being a member, you are eligible. Depending on the partner you sign up for I think annual cost could be as low as $50. Leave No Trace is a great program. Donate $50 and save upwords of $3000 in the process.

http://www.subaru.com/company/partnerships/index.html

I can almost bet that the added options on the Subaru (and added price) will be offset by this VIP deal almost to the level of the Scion fixed price. Screw Scion and go Subaru all the way! Subaru power!
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #272
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Quote:
Are you saying Toyota forgot how to make a great engine?
i really don't see how you can draw that conclusion from my posts.

just because i think subaru makes good engines doesn't mean i think that toyota can't. look at the 1LR-GUE, possibly the best production N/A engine ever.

i am also a toyota guy and like toyota engines, but i'm not enough of a brand whore to not be able to recognize the upsides of a subaru boxer. i think the motor has potential to be really good but we won't know until the car comes out.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #273
Dragonitti
Banned

^^LOL...Time for a Rodney King video.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #274
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
can you show me where you found out those details??? (directed at tranzformer)
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #275
Dragonitti
Banned

Quote:
i really don't see how you can draw that conclusion from my posts.

just because i think subaru makes good engines doesn't mean i think that toyota can't. look at the 1LR-GUE, possibly the best production N/A engine ever.

i am also a toyota guy and like toyota engines, but i'm not enough of a brand whore to not be able to recognize the upsides of a subaru boxer. i think the motor has potential to be really good but we won't know until the car comes out.

You didn't see the message in my original post. It was about the "purist" claims more than anything else. Just saying, don't fake the funk. It's about the image, not about the Purity of being a Toyota.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:16 PM   #276
tranzformer

Quote:
I for one am one of those people, but I was more focusing on this forum/thread here of all the "It's about Toyota Heritage" people. I don't see them creating a petition for replacing the engine. It's a petition for replacing a badge...lol. So, as much as they would like to pass this off as "it's about the Toyota purity and getting to it's roots", it's really a displeasure for the cars "image". Has nothing to do with history. If those people were that pure, they would be putting in more energy into getting a Toyota powerplant. Not pissed about a completely different companies heart beat, but you are pissed about being branded as a sibling to Toyota. The sibling is Toyota. I get it now...lol
This makes no sense at all. The new FT-86 is suppose to be the new Hachi-Roku. The new incarnation if you so will for the 21st century. If you wanted Toyota purity in the equipment sense you would expect a car based on 80s technology, same as the original. This new incarnation is still true to the Toyota purity. That purity is not in the physical sense per-say. But in the thought process behind the design and creation of the car. Toyota is building this car to be reasonable priced, nimble, well handling, balanced, fun to drive...etc. However they are not putting themselves in a box inregards to how they can or can not accomplish that. Luckily Toyota saw that FHI had something that could very well make the new FT-86 that much better. I'm not sure why you write off the boxer engine. It has many benefits over any of the 4 cylinder engines Toyota would have put in themselves. The combination of Toyota, FHI and Yamaha is a great combination of great minds combining their strengths to create something different.

Toyota's purity is in the design and thought process behind the car. Not what engine it came with. Luckily they are willing to think outside the box to create something great.

Quote:
I would prefer not to be to high on the compression. As long as it holds the boost and has that Toyota reliability, I'm good.... Guess we shall see.
If it is NA (as it probably will be) I want it to be high compression. Give me that 14:1 please.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #277
BanningFT
SeX

Drives: 06' Nismo Frontier, 06' xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Great in what aspect? I don't like the xB just as much as I don't like the Kia Soul, the Nissan Cube and Honda Element! They are ugly cars w/0 appeal. They are underpowered for a reason; to get good gas mileage.

You can't really respect a car that looks horrific!
Yeah tell that to AE86 drivers. Great cars, that the average unenlighted person think look like methed out piles of 80's sheet metal.

While I'm not comparing an 86 to a ff xb, I love my wifes xB. So ugly it's cute, zippy enough for freeway driving, handles well and has been sending 41mpg our way. Also it hauls everything.

Can we wait to test drive this car?? Fanboys are fanboys.

It was a struggle to switch from a Tacoma to a Frontier (How dare I leave Toyota after our long history together), but after I did I realized the Frontier was better in many ways. An Infiniti G is a JDM Skyline, A Lexus ES is a glorified Camry.
Come on people.

Drive the dang car first, then come to a conclusion. Saying, "I WILL NEVER DRIVE A SCION", just shows ignorance and likely a lack of vehicle experience.

A: "I hate sushi."
B: "Have you ever had sushi?
A: "No, but it's gross."
B: *walks away* *Enjoys sushi*

MB 06' Nismo VQ40DE
BanningFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #278
tranzformer

Quote:

Well said!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #279
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
can you show me where you found out those details??? (directed at tranzformer)
Which details? The Subaru VIP program is no secret. On current models the discount is ~$1300-3300. That is no secret either. Just depends on the car model. No idea about the discount for the 216a but it will fall in there somewhere.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #280
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Quote:
You didn't see the message in my original post. It was about the "purist" claims more than anything else. Just saying, don't fake the funk. It's about the image, not about the Purity of being a Toyota.
manufacturers paying shops lots of money to make a rwd version of an FF for drift competition is faking the funk.