follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
^ Subaru engines don't have particularly high VE like the F20C.
@Sportsguy83 we're not talking about replacing a bendy, shitty, stock exhaust with 2 cats. We're talking about the difference between two high performance exhausts where one includes a high flow cat and the other has the same diameter/routing, but lacks the cat. It's NOT a big deal. It won't make significantly more power. Will it pick up 10-15whp? Probably.

And yes, I haz degree. Listen to me, peasants!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,683 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
^ Subaru engines don't have particularly high VE like the F20C.
@Sportsguy83 we're not talking about replacing a bendy, shitty, stock exhaust with 2 cats. We're talking about the difference between two high performance exhausts where one includes a high flow cat and the other has the same diameter/routing, but lacks the cat. It's NOT a big deal. It won't make significantly more power. Will it pick up 10-15whp? Probably.

And yes, I haz degree. Listen to me, peasants!
That is an all encompassing answer. So you are saying even at 750whp a 200 cell cat will not restrict power? I just do not agree...

Ok, that might be a little extreme but at what point do you say having a high flow catalytic converter will work? It is definitely air flow defendant and below a certain threshold it will work fine, but once you hit that threshold you will definitely be limited.

What is that limit? Well that is up to the professional tuner who might have a degree or two themselves and what they have experienced from tuning easily 1000+ Subaru engines over say a 15+ years or longer.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I like this post.

Less restriction is less restriction, period.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
What is that limit? Well that is up to the professional tuner who might have a degree or two themselves and what they have experienced from tuning easily 1000+ Subaru engines over say a 15+ years or longer.

Cheers,
William Knose
Listen to this guy. He haz a couple degrees.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #19
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
That is an all encompassing answer. So you are saying even at 750whp a 200 cell cat will not restrict power? I just do not agree...

Ok, that might be a little extreme but at what point do you say having a high flow catalytic converter will work? It is definitely air flow defendant and below a certain threshold it will work fine, but once you hit that threshold you will definitely be limited.

Cheers,
William Knose
That would depend on the actual diameter of the cats...

I've seen cats that are 10+ feet wide in diameter in testing cells, and these engines were making 750+ whp. Those cats were a 600 cell too
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #20
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

Cheers,
William Knose
I'm not disagreeing with you - I think it's a minimal gain for the trade-off, especially given the street-driven nature of the car and the power goals. I don't think what I said is unreasonable, but I acknowledge you're also correct.

My opinion is that a street car should have at least one cat and the pursuit of power in a street car shouldn't eliminate every cat, that's all. Let's just amicably agree to disagree; it's the OP's and tuner's choice anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Listen to this guy. He haz a couple degrees.
But is he superior???
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Jesse@JDLAutodesign (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
Jesse@JDLAutodesign

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What effect does the cats positioning to the turbo effect things? Being in the front pipe its quite a distance from the turbine outlet on most setups. I think this helps compared to some cars that place a cat directly after the turbo.
Jesse@JDLAutodesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you - I think it's a minimal gain for the trade-off, especially given the street-driven nature of the car and the power goals. I don't think what I said is unreasonable, but I acknowledge you're also correct.

My opinion is that a street car should have at least one cat and the pursuit of power in a street car shouldn't eliminate every cat, that's all. Let's just amicably agree to disagree; it's the OP's and tuner's choice anyhow.

But is he superior???
I would agree with you that a daily driver of sorts; having at least one catalytic converter is definitely worth while. Most customers will want it, for a multitude of reasons.

Cheers,
William Knose
Old 01-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #23
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
That would depend on the actual diameter of the cats...

I've seen cats that are 10+ feet wide in diameter in testing cells, and these engines were making 750+ whp. Those cats were a 600 cell too
Completely on point. Here is something we came up with at HG Motorsports for a Subaru STI running a GTX30R rotated turbo kit. He really wanted to stay clean but make power and we found on one high flow 200 cell cat it was just too restrictive, so we put in two. By doing this we were able to add another 50whp and 50wtq.

Also the further the catalytic converter is placed away from heat, the better it will flow. Because as air cools, the molecules slow and can flow a lot easier through small holes.

Cheers,
William Knose
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (01-22-2014), Jesse@JDLAutodesign (01-24-2014), shaunsweeney (01-23-2014), Sportsguy83 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #24
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Did some research and realized something with the 2 cars @PrimeMotoring

Quote:
Here is a list of mods:

P&L Stage 1 Turbo Kit
ACT Heavy Duty Street Clutch Kit
Prime Motoring Flex Fuel
Tomei Expreme 80mm Cat-back
P&L Overpipe
ID 1000cc Injectors
DW65c Fuel Pump

Feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

Quote:
P&L Stage 1 Turbo Kit
ACT Heavy Duty Race Clutch Kit
Prime Motoring Flex Fuel Kit
Ultimate Racing 2.75" Exhaust System w/HFC
ID 1000cc Injectors
DW65c Fuel Pump
Crawford AOS

@PrimeMotoring care to chime in ?
Because the only difference i realize is the exhaust system with the two cars ! Is it all from the HFC ? or was the driver of the second car asking for less power ?
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmsAlSuwaidi For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #25
PrimeMotoring

Drives: FRS with 2jz, 2015 STI 9.68@147
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
Did some research and realized something with the 2 cars @PrimeMotoring

@PrimeMotoring care to chime in ?
Because the only difference i realize is the exhaust system with the two cars ! Is it all from the HFC ? or was the driver of the second car asking for less power ?
The exhaust system and HFC definitely had an effect on the numbers because we did get the catless car up to 480 at one point and it could have made more if we pushed but limited it down for drivetrain's sake. Also the ethanol content in the e85 slightly varied from each car so that would account for a bit of power as well.
PrimeMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #26
Michaeljp92

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I own the second Prime turbo FRS posted above (424whp). The first turbo one that made 480whp was running e66 fuel last I checked and he was catless. I was running e55 fuel and have a high flow cat (Ultimate Racing Exhaust). I could not afford to go catless being as in the town I live in and the surrounding towns, you simply cannot get away with catless anymore. They have "sniffer vans" that do on-spot inspections and it's a $5,000 fine PER CAT that is missing, but that fine is only issued if the vehicle is COMPLETELY catless, so my car is still legal. I'm going to ask my next set of questions to help you figure out if it worth it or not to actually put the time into removing that cat in your exhaust...

What are your power goals?
What kit are you running?
Is this a street driven car?
Can you easily get away with catless where you live?

I can tell you right now, my tuner told me that if I were able to have dumped actual e80~ series content in the tank, I could've broke over 500whp, same goes for the other car too, e66 still is not ideal for making a ton of power. Both of our cars were stock motor, stock trans builds, so neither of us wanted to go over 500whp because you're gonna risk blowing it to pieces. At the end of the day, a cat will rob you of horsepower, no argument there. What I'm trying to get at is, are you shooting for a mild 400whp street build? If so, then a cat really isn't going to affect you. Are you trying to build a 700whp+ build? Then you may want to go catless just to squeeze out the extra available horsepower.

- Mike
Old 01-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljp92 View Post
What are your power goals?
What kit are you running?
Is this a street driven car?
Can you easily get away with catless where you live?

- Mike

Thank you very much for the reply mike !

Power goals are sub 500whp for sure i will be very very happy with 450whp

I will be running @MAPerformance 's new kit with a gtx3076

Yes/no, i dont drive it every single day even though its my only car i sometimes ride a bike to school

I no, California laws are strict as hell and could get me screwed over if i get caught but hey what ever

Sent from my IBrick
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
Michaeljp92

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
Thank you very much for the reply mike !

Power goals are sub 500whp for sure i will be very very happy with 450whp

I will be running @MAPerformance 's new kit with a gtx3076

Yes/no, i dont drive it every single day even though its my only car i sometimes ride a bike to school

I no, California laws are strict as hell and could get me screwed over if i get caught but hey what ever

Sent from my IBrick

For your goals then, I would just leave the cat in there, you'll be completely fine, also keep in mind the dyno numbers posted above are Mustang Dyno numbers, reads a lot lower than Dynojet. You're gonna love the gtx3076 by the way, that thing punches HARD and you'll easily clear 450whp with that thing catted or not lol. Also being as you're in Cali, I would stay catless as they have the same sniffer vans and even more severe punishment if you violate the smog laws. To me the $10,000 total fine wasn't worth another few horsepower, that I couldn't use anyways because I'm on a stock motor. Enjoy the car though and make sure you post up a build thread for it, I'd love to see the outcome!