follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #2913
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Pat: I wouldn't say that camber plates make BIG difference over camber bolts if you dial in same amount of camber. They often do allow more camber to be dealed in and are much easier to adjust (at much higher price of plates themselves of course), but if you are not aiming for lot of camber and if you are not the one doing alignment, where is difference then?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #2914
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
I have the Tarmac IIs waiting to be installed. I figure I'm going to have to order some rear LCAs anyways. What do you guys recommend for something that will be STX legal and can stand up to some sporadic track use?
Whiteline, RS*R, Velox are the ones I can think of.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (05-12-2016), strat61caster (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #2915
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidonsu View Post
I have the Tarmac IIs waiting to be installed. I figure I'm going to have to order some rear LCAs anyways. What do you guys recommend for something that will be STX legal and can stand up to some sporadic track use?
I haven't seen failures on any of the LCA's on this car out there, they all appear safe for hard use, STX legal cuts you down to 5 options:

SPC w/ a replacement bushing for the spherical bearing
Whiteline appears legal in it's current config with the pressed in bushing
Racer-X
RS*R, honestly forgot about this one until Okie mentioned it
Velox, most expensive, lightest

I've got the Racer-X, pretty happy with it, I like how accessible the adjuster is, the rest are tucked into the subframe and you have to locate each threaded end asymetrically it looks like. Whichever you choose make sure it's got a polyurethane bushing, not metal per STX rules. Local events nobody should care, but if you start competing at a national level it's an easy disqualification.

Threaded adjustment on the RacerX, rsr, velox are convenient and makes things nice and repeatable if you're doing your own alignment, the cam adjustment on SPC/Whiteline will be a little less precise but no less effective, if you don't plan on doing your own alignment I'd pick the SPC/Whiteline.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #2916
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
this is a brake question, but do you guys know the reasoning/logic for some manufacturers placing the brake caliper on the "front" of the rotor (towards front of car), while some place the caliper on the "rear" of the caliper (towards rear of car)?
Old 05-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #2917
MaximeT

Drives: GT86-ACE-JRZ-RPF1-Essex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
this is a brake question, but do you guys know the reasoning/logic for some manufacturers placing the brake caliper on the "front" of the rotor (towards front of car), while some place the caliper on the "rear" of the caliper (towards rear of car)?
One solution is cheap, the other one is good for weight distribution.
8R6 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #2918
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeT View Post
One solution is cheap, the other one is good for weight distribution.
so it's not related to the braking performance itself? thats what i couldnt figure out. like if it mattered where on the rotors the pads clamped down on the rotor and was just wondering if there was some fancy physics thing that i just have no idea about lol
Old 05-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #2919
MaximeT

Drives: GT86-ACE-JRZ-RPF1-Essex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
so it's not related to the braking performance itself? thats what i couldnt figure out. like if it mattered where on the rotors the pads clamped down on the rotor and was just wondering if there was some fancy physics thing that i just have no idea about lol
Race cars and expensive road cars are mounted inside. I guess it might be more expensive to do for some packaging reasons.

Maybe easyer to do with double wishbones.
strat61caster (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #2920
strat61caster
-

Don't forget cooling.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
8R6 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 02:51 PM   #2921
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I haven't seen failures on any of the LCA's on this car out there, they all appear safe for hard use, STX legal cuts you down to 5 options:

SPC w/ a replacement bushing for the spherical bearing
Whiteline appears legal in it's current config with the pressed in bushing
Racer-X
RS*R, honestly forgot about this one until Okie mentioned it
Velox, most expensive, lightest

I've got the Racer-X, pretty happy with it, I like how accessible the adjuster is, the rest are tucked into the subframe and you have to locate each threaded end asymetrically it looks like. Whichever you choose make sure it's got a polyurethane bushing, not metal per STX rules. Local events nobody should care, but if you start competing at a national level it's an easy disqualification.

Threaded adjustment on the RacerX, rsr, velox are convenient and makes things nice and repeatable if you're doing your own alignment, the cam adjustment on SPC/Whiteline will be a little less precise but no less effective, if you don't plan on doing your own alignment I'd pick the SPC/Whiteline.
Thank you for the thorough response. I'm leaning towards the RacerX as this point. I just emailed them to see the actual weight. The velox does look really nice, just not sure if it's $100 nicer.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #2922
OkieSnuffBox

If you could find a way to replace the rod end on the SPL arm with a bushing, that would hands down be the best solution to me.

Based on the reputation, and the ability to tune shock/sway ratios, and also get some lowering while maintaining travel with the lower shock mounting holes.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #2923
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Based on the reputation, and the ability to tune shock/sway ratios, and also get some lowering while maintaining travel with the lower shock mounting holes.
That's actually illegal and why I didn't consider RS*R at first, so they're out too unless you verify everything is going back in the same hole.

Quote:
14.8.H.5. The replacement arms or mounts must attach to the original standard mounting points. All bushings must meet the requirements of Section 14.8.B. Intermediate mounting points (e.g., shock/spring mounts) may not be moved or relocated on the arm, except as incidental to the camber adjustment. The knuckle/bearing housing/spindle assembly cannot be modified or replaced.
http://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
Old 05-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #2924
OkieSnuffBox

Good point. I quit paying attention to SCCA Auto-X rules a few years ago.

However, in reality, if you aren't looking to trophy at Nationals I doubt anyone would care.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #2925
PedoJim

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I did an alignment on my car like a month ago, the front is perfect but the back is a bit too low. Id like to raise it a bit (1 finger). Will this affect the toe at the back? I dont remember seeing a place to adjust the toe at the back. (stock btw, only coilovers)
PedoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:18 AM   #2926
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedoJim View Post
I did an alignment on my car like a month ago, the front is perfect but the back is a bit too low. Id like to raise it a bit (1 finger). Will this affect the toe at the back? I dont remember seeing a place to adjust the toe at the back. (stock btw, only coilovers)
Yes. Adjustment is there. Raising changes camber and toe. Someone even posted some numbers recently iirc.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote