follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #4999
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Stock recirculation valve is very soft. It opens early and closes late giving a sluggish throttle response. But, and this is important, it protects the compressor from surge. I have replaced my recirculation valve with an adjustable one (RKX from Amazon) and currently using it with the middle strength spring which opens later and closes earlier than the stock valve. This noticeably improved the throttle response. MAF reading and whistle sound shows that it still opens at idle. I can also confirm that when I release the throttle at high rpm valve opens again. I have just replaced my traction fluid after a little more than 2 years and 25K miles now, compressor is still safe and sound. Just my experience though.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've suspected that the behavior I was experiencing is due to the recirculation valve, whether it is faulty or not, and I'm fine with it being that way to seemingly conservatively protect against compressor surge. I might try a different recirculation valve though, if only to satisfy my own curiosity. How did you decide that the middle spring (what PSI?) was the right one? Throttle performance and MAF readings? Other indicators?
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vfrqqq For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #5000
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've suspected that the behavior I was experiencing is due to the recirculation valve, whether it is faulty or not, and I'm fine with it being that way to seemingly conservatively protect against compressor surge. I might try a different recirculation valve though, if only to satisfy my own curiosity. How did you decide that the middle spring (what PSI?) was the right one? Throttle performance and MAF readings? Other indicators?
Before I make any further comments, let me write this warning. Recirculation valve is there to protect the compressor from surge damage. It is soft enough to make sure compressor is not damaged. You can push the surge limits of compressor by replacing the recirculation valve. I just don't want more people coming here with broken compressors.

But most of are here for pushing the limits of our cars. So, here is my experience:

I started with the softest spring. It was working just like the stock recirculation valve. Tried the hardest spring next and noticed that the throttle response was quicker. However, I was worried that it was opening too late (at higher vacuum) to cause surge on the compressor. The middle strength spring gave still better throttle response but no noticeable surge. You can hear the surge when you quickly release the throttle. Same thing happens with rev limiter. The sound of valve opening and compressor surging are different. Warning again: Don't try too hard though, you can damage the compressor. I wish I had made a video to show the difference. It is like a whoosh sound with valve opening and a fluttering sound with surge. You definitely want to avoid the surge.

If my compressor fails, I will not be bothering Jackson Racing with warranty. I know the cost of Rotrex c30 and how easy it is to replace.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #5001
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Did anybody replace one or both of the cats after using with supercharger? I am wondering if the cats wear out earlier than stock engine.

Edit: I ordered a 2019 stock header (2017+ design), new oxygen sensors, and a dual resonator HKS front pipe. I will install and try with CARB tune first. Any problems, I will switch to Delicious tune with a new MAP sensor upgrade. I will post here how it goes.
Heh, replying to myself here.

I started with installing the HKS dual resonator front pipe between the stock header and HKS HiPower Spec L catback. The HKS front pipe is 2 pounds lighter than stock front pipe. It was nice to replace rusty stock pipe with this shiny stainless steel pipe and have HKS all the way after over pipe. Here are the highlights.
- After several days (1 tank 91 octane gas emptied and filled), JR factory tune is working; no problems, no CEL
- Power increased, engine definitely revs up quicker. Maybe gain is more noticeable when combined with my catback. Short of racing exhausts, this is one of the best flowing catbacks, just like N1. Now, I have all the way straight through from stock header to the end.
- Sound changed, not necessarily louder (maaaybe a bit), but much better sound tone. I like it. There are four resonators and two mufflers in this HKS exhaust system (and still ~20lbs lighter than stock)
- MPG increased 10% !!! That was surprising to me but it is true. I have never seen 33 mpg in the city before. When I drive normally, I enjoy gas savings. So, efficiency and power both increased.
- I don't notice any exhaust smell without second cat.

Next is replacing the header with 2017+ header which I have received already. I am not expecting much/any change with that but I will post another update when I do that ... in a couple of weeks. This will be interesting to know because I have not seen anybody installing the new stock header on a 2014 JRSC/AT before. Let's see how JR factory tune takes it. I think it will just work normally.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #5002
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Heh, replying to myself here.

I started with installing the HKS dual resonator front pipe between the stock header and HKS HiPower Spec L catback. The HKS front pipe is 2 pounds lighter than stock front pipe. It was nice to replace rusty stock pipe with this shiny stainless steel pipe and have HKS all the way after over pipe. Here are the highlights.
- After several days (1 tank 91 octane gas emptied and filled), JR factory tune is working; no problems, no CEL
- Power increased, engine definitely revs up quicker. Maybe gain is more noticeable when combined with my catback. Short of racing exhausts, this is one of the best flowing catbacks, just like N1. Now, I have all the way straight through from stock header to the end.
- Sound changed, not necessarily louder (maaaybe a bit), but much better sound tone. I like it. There are four resonators and two mufflers in this HKS exhaust system (and still ~20lbs lighter than stock)
- MPG increased 10% !!! That was surprising to me but it is true. I have never seen 33 mpg in the city before. When I drive normally, I enjoy gas savings. So, efficiency and power both increased.
- I don't notice any exhaust smell without second cat.

Next is replacing the header with 2017+ header which I have received already. I am not expecting much/any change with that but I will post another update when I do that ... in a couple of weeks. This will be interesting to know because I have not seen anybody installing the new stock header on a 2014 JRSC/AT before. Let's see how JR factory tune takes it. I think it will just work normally.
Got a log? Lets make sure your engine is running properly.

Most people tend to drive with less throttle when the car is louder!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #5003
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Got a log? Lets make sure your engine is running properly.

Most people tend to drive with less throttle when the car is louder!
Engine is working great up to 7000 rpm. But I will post the data log here anyway; just give me a couple days and thank you for offering to check the data log.

BTW, I now have 2017+ header installed as well. Based on one-day testing 20+ miles at a wide range of rpms so far, no CELs with JR factory tune. Sound is almost the same with old header. First 5-10 miles, I noticed ECU was relearning the new header. Apparently there is enough difference to learn. After that, it was very smooth. So, 2017+ header on a 2014 JRSC/AT seems to work great. I will post if I see any problems and or notice any change in performance.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #5004
redhalo

Drives: MY20 Hakone Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Engine is working great up to 7000 rpm. But I will post the data log here anyway; just give me a couple days and thank you for offering to check the data log.

BTW, I now have 2017+ header installed as well. Based on one-day testing 20+ miles at a wide range of rpms so far, no CELs with JR factory tune. Sound is almost the same with old header. First 5-10 miles, I noticed ECU was relearning the new header. Apparently there is enough difference to learn. After that, it was very smooth. So, 2017+ header on a 2014 JRSC/AT seems to work great. I will post if I see any problems and or notice any change in performance.
I haven't been following all of your journey, but may I ask, why did you go with a 2017+ header versus an aftermarket catless one? Not a criticism, just curious to learn from other's builds.
redhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #5005
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhalo View Post
I haven't been following all of your journey, but may I ask, why did you go with a 2017+ header versus an aftermarket catless one? Not a criticism, just curious to learn from other's builds.
We have emissions inspection in NY every year that requires CARB certified header. I also wanted to keep the JR CARB tune which will not work with a catless header.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:04 PM   #5006
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Hey JRSC owners;

I installed the factory tuned C38 kit on my 2013 FRS about 3 weeks ago. I noticed from the get go that when I let off the throttle I hear a fluttering sound. Its more apparent at higher RPM. I took a sound clip and sent it to JR but didn't get feedback so I figured I'd take a video with my gopro mounted front centre of the hood so it would pick up the audio a bit better than in cabin and see what the community feedback might be.

At about 3:15 I come to an intersection and once I turn its much easier to hear as I come on/off the throttle around 3:30 - 3:50.

The beginning of the video might give some insight as well. I find the general low rpm operating noise to be pretty significant, I guess 'silent operation' means different things to different people? My car has a completely stock exhaust system.

Thanks
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #5007
tfp

Drives: 2017 BRZ WRB with PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
I made 307/224 on a C30 running e70 with the PTuning Race Header and the JDL UQFP (catted and resonated) on a 90 degree day on PTuning’s Dyno Dynamics Dyno. For reference, I made 195/155 on that same dyno as NA with the JDL Catted Header and JDL UQFP. I can’t see you making THAT much more running the ACE A350. I also previously made 315/230 when running the C30 with a gutted cat JDL UEL and a JDL catless/resonated front pipe on e70 on a 40 degree day.

Just some data to help!
Was that power measured to the crank or wheel?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
tfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #5008
milanojess

Garage
@steved thats loudest of what I’ve heard. It seems each unit may sound somewhat different but that sounded loud to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to milanojess For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:27 AM   #5009
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
Hey JRSC owners;

I installed the factory tuned C38 kit on my 2013 FRS about 3 weeks ago. I noticed from the get go that when I let off the throttle I hear a fluttering sound. Its more apparent at higher RPM. I took a sound clip and sent it to JR but didn't get feedback so I figured I'd take a video with my gopro mounted front centre of the hood so it would pick up the audio a bit better than in cabin and see what the community feedback might be.

At about 3:15 I come to an intersection and once I turn its much easier to hear as I come on/off the throttle around 3:30 - 3:50.

The beginning of the video might give some insight as well. I find the general low rpm operating noise to be pretty significant, I guess 'silent operation' means different things to different people? My car has a completely stock exhaust system.

Thanks
All your panels are in place, and your underhood sound deadening in place? It should barely be audible.

Yours seems louder than the norm, but if there's no issues, it may be normal.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:29 AM   #5010
CSG Mike

@J1Avs

naturally aspirated dyno of an Ace A350 against another "big peak power" header.

The area under the curve is where it really shines; up top, NA, it's choked like any other well flowing header, by the engine itself. The dip on the orange line seems to be an anomaly on this specific graph.

Here's another set of dynos with just Ace header vs stock.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-13-2019), mistople (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #5011
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Finally got my car back, was on the dyno last night.

340 whp, 250 tq @ 10.2 PSI
Ambient: 90, 75% humidity
C38 + HBP
1,200 cc injectors, E-72
Nameless headerback

peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #5012
steved

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
All your panels are in place, and your underhood sound deadening in place? It should barely be audible.

Yours seems louder than the norm, but if there's no issues, it may be normal.
All panels in place except for the bumper wings that had to come off for fitment.

The only issue I'm concerned about is if the fluttering sound a sign of compressor surge, it's also a bit annoying to hear coming off the throttle every time.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote