follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #43
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
Let's come together, stroke our ****s, and tell ourselves what a good decision we made by buying this car.
I prefer stroking my gearbox. It's a short throw, but I got the mtec springs so it's very very stiff.

Fwiw it didn't help toyobaru that the yen suddenly appreciated considerably. This car could've been cheaper with the same quality if it came out just a year or two earlier, but it might not have been as polished/developed as it is

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #44
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If the 86 is relegated as the entry level 25K sportscar. The upcoming (who knows) FT-1 will be the middle level 50-60K car. What fits in the middle (30-40K)? A lexus? Curious if a boosted 86 could fit into that 30-40K arena. I guess the problem is Subaru .... but is that really Toyota's problem?
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #45
FyeaFRS

Drives: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type-M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
haha ok.

FyeaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FyeaFRS For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (11-06-2014), Sideways&Smiling (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #46
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
If the 86 is relegated as the entry level 25K sportscar. The upcoming (who knows) FT-1 will be the middle level 50-60K car. What fits in the middle (30-40K)? A lexus? Curious if a boosted 86 could fit into that 30-40K arena. I guess the problem is Subaru .... but is that really Toyota's problem?
Subaru won't significantly improve it because that would compete with their WRX and STI, which handily fill up the 30-40K market.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #47
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
The Blue edition is worthless. "Oh look, we put in different fabric and added a couple of trim pieces to it." Woo.
The sad part is (refereeing back to your prior post) that was what the marketing people figured the consumer wanted after their lurking and mega bucks research!
Old 11-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #48
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The sad part is (refereeing back to your prior post) that was what the marketing people figured the consumer wanted after their lurking and mega bucks research!
And that shows the marketing disconnect I was talking about. If you hang out on this forum for a few months and actually read through it and the main thing that sticks out to you is "Let's put a lip kit and blue seats on it," then you have no idea what you're doing and shouldn't have your job. I'm willing to bet the guys at Heuberger Motors know more about what people want for this car than the actual manufacturers, because they're involved at this level.

edit: I don't think anyone has ever sat back on this forum and said "This car is awesome, but you know what it really needs? Blue seat inserts. That would be swell."
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #49
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
And that shows the marketing disconnect I was talking about. If you hang out on this forum for a few months and actually read through it and the main thing that sticks out to you is "Let's put a lip kit and blue seats on it," then you have no idea what you're doing and shouldn't have your job. I'm willing to bet the guys at Heuberger Motors know more about what people want for this car than the actual manufacturers, because they're involved at this level.

edit: I don't think anyone has ever sat back on this forum and said "This car is awesome, but you know what it really needs? Blue seat inserts. That would be swell."
Ha Ha
Actually there were several threads saying almost exactly that for the FRS!
There are even DIYs for changing the insert and thread colours.

I am in 100% agreement with you on the marketing guys missing the mark though!
Old 11-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #50
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
I didn't gather anything from this, what the hell? Why such a long essay, the reason is probably the same as to why the Corolla never got turbo.
You likely understand the market and business in general. This is probably directed at those who don't.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #51
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltramarineLuck View Post
To be fair, Toyobaru already has you, so they care less about you and more about the potential consumer. They also most assuredly spend a bazillion dollars in market research each year on each project to make sure they're cranking out cars that will sell (wonder where all those upper-appointment, performance un-enhanced trims came from?). Enthusiasts make up such a tiny segment of the overall customer base that it's not really surprising that a juiced version of the car has not come along yet.
Not to mention that if they have any plans to put the FT1 into production, they can't bump the 86 to higher power levels, as I can bet you the FT1 likely be the same in terms of Horsepower/$ ratio. It'll have something like 350 and cost more than a Mustang GT, and people will whine the same way they do with this car, but only after they buy it.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #52
UltramarineLuck

Drives: Ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Except that there are probably plenty of consumers in the segment that have. There's a reason cars like this, the Miata and a number of others that compete are referred to as "hair-dresser's cars." What Toyobaru have that we don't are a lot of money, boatloads of information and their purchase demographics.

They're not doing a great job of marketing the car, but this forum represents a very small minority of the overall ownership (and they already have us locked in). And let's face it, interior upgrades are FAR cheaper to "R&D"/implement and likely command better margins, anyways.
UltramarineLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #53
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltramarineLuck View Post
Except that there are probably plenty of consumers in the segment that have. There's a reason cars like this, the Miata and a number of others that compete are referred to as "hair-dresser's cars." What Toyobaru have that we don't are a lot of money, boatloads of information and their purchase demographics.

They're not doing a great job of marketing the car, but this forum represents a very small minority of the overall ownership (and they already have us locked in). And let's face it, interior upgrades are FAR cheaper to "R&D"/implement and likely command better margins, anyways.

Not sure they have us locked in. Current owners can 1: sell their car; 2. return the car if leased (my situation) or 3. trade -up to another possible next gen 86. Of course .... some owners will keep their car, but for how long? The point is Toyota should be looking to KEEP these owners in next gen 86s or some other Toyota such as the FT-1. Business 101: you succeeded in getting the customer .... now KEEP the customer.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #54
lastexile1987

Drives: Lightning Red '13 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Not sure they have us locked in. Current owners can 1: sell their car; 2. return the car if leased (my situation) or 3. trade -up to another possible next gen 86. Of course .... some owners will keep their car, but for how long? The point is Toyota should be looking to KEEP these owners in next gen 86s or some other Toyota such as the FT-1. Business 101: you succeeded in getting the customer .... now KEEP the customer.
How many other car companies in this price range follow that mentality though? I can't think of any other car company that listened to the consumer unless there was a recall.

I'm sure people have been clamoring at Toyota to build another supra and we are finally seeing something coming out that might fill that spot. Subaru found a niche they wanted to stick with with their awd and 4wd cars. I'm sure each company heard from countless people about changes they should make but it just wasn't feasible.

I feel that the auto manufacturers have been putting out what they feel will make the most people happy and unfortunately, the people that want 250, 300, 350hp gt86s are the minority
lastexile1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #55
Jond63

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I don't understand why this is even a debate -- it was pretty well stated from the start that this car was to be a simplified, lightweight nimble handler that would be cheap enough for young enthusiasts to buy and modify in any way they see fit.

If this car had come from the factory with a turbo I would not have been able to buy it brand new which for myself made this car even that much more exciting. If I had more money I would probably buy a Cayman S or wait for the FT-1.

As it is though I hope to get it paid off soon and when warranty is up add FI.
Jond63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #56
bodayguy

Drives: 2016 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
ARG. No one is arguing that the 86 should not have been offered as is, I am just saying they needed to plan a TRD/STi version with a turbo. Sort of like base Mustang, GT Mustang. Base Cayman, Cayman S. etc.

I am with Braces above: I am planning my next car purchase and as it stands, Toyota or Subie has nothing for me. The WRX should not compete with a Toyobaru sports car because that's a sedan with chunky styling. Different beast.
bodayguy is offline   Reply With Quote