follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
And tranzformer, the Colts would have owed Peyton 28 million.
I was just reading an ESPN article that said: "The decision to pass on the $28 million bonus owed to Manning and not to pick up the four remaining years on his contract means Manning will become a free agent."

I'm just curious what his yearly contract would have been?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #16
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I was just reading an ESPN article that said: "The decision to pass on the $28 million bonus owed to Manning and not to pick up the four remaining years on his contract means Manning will become a free agent."

I'm just curious what his yearly contract would have been?
I don't know exactly on the top of my head and was thinking $115 - 125 mil., so l looked it up and found out he signed a $90 million deal with the colts and was owed 7.4 million with a 28 million optional bonus this year if that helps.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #17
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I may be wrong but I think the $28M was separate from his regular salary which is probably in the 18-20 range.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
tranzformer

Quote:
I don't know exactly on the top of my head and was thinking $115 - 125 mil., so l looked it up and found out he signed a $90 million deal with the colts and was owed 7.4 million with a 28 million optional bonus this year if that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn248 View Post
I may be wrong but I think the $28M was separate from his regular salary which is probably in the 18-20 range.

Just read that Colts have until Thursday to pick up the remaining 4 years of the 5yr/$90million contract he signed. The Colts also have to release Manning by Thursday at 4ET or the bonus kicks in. So basically if they don't pick up the option on the remaining 4 years and don't release him by 4ET on Thursday, they will owe him the $28 million. So by cutting him the Colts are theoretically saving $28million + $72 million (remained of the $90 million contract) = $100 million. That is a bit of $$$ especially considering what happens if he can't come back to the same level he was at.

With the #1 draft and two quality young QB's, you have to plan for the future. I think it is the wise decision.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #19
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
And what if Peyton does comes back performing the way he did before he got injured?
Looking at the Colt's season this year and how it flipped from when Manning played before this past season clearly shows what they are without him.

Also it would be nice if Reggie Wayne decides to leave Indy and (wishfully thinking) the Pats sign him.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 AM   #20
tranzformer

Quote:
And what if Peyton does comes back performing the way he did before he got injured?
Looking at the Colt's season this year and how it flipped from when Manning played before this past season clearly shows what they are without him.
Sure. But we as the public don't have privy to the team physician's notes and recommendations. From my understanding Manning was "cleared" by his own personal doctors however not by the team docs

So who knows how well his body has healed. But to have 3 neck surgeries within 2 years tells you how severe his injury is. As you get older your body doesn't heal as well or as quickly. This isn't a Junior HS QB who will heal rather quickly. Also, Manning had muscle weakness and possible nerve damage in his throwing arm. That is quite serious for someone who uses that arm for their job.

$100million is quite a gamble on the hope that he will return after this serious injury. I would rather rebuild and pass along that risk to another team.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #21
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
Sure. But we as the public don't have privy to the team physician's notes and recommendations. From my understanding Manning was "cleared" by his own personal doctors however not by the team docs

So who knows how well his body has healed. But to have 3 neck surgeries within 2 years tells you how severe his injury is. As you get older your body doesn't heal as well or as quickly. This isn't a Junior HS QB who will heal rather quickly. Also, Manning had muscle weakness and possible nerve damage in his throwing arm. That is quite serious for someone who uses that arm for their job.

$100million is quite a gamble on the hope that he will return after this serious injury. I would rather rebuild and pass along that risk to another team.
I heard that Manning was cleeard but didn't hear that the Colts doctor's were not the ones that cleared him.

You see I if I was in the owner's shoes I'd try to help Manning out. I'd help him out by trying to get him another job via sign and trade. However to me that's still not enough for what he's done for Indy. To dump him like that especially to a Hall of Famer and not so long ago a Superbowl champion, is the wrong way to handle him.
And this is coming from a Pats fan and enjoyed that rivalry between the Colts and Patriots and wish it kept going.
If I wanted to be ruthless too like the Colts then yeah I would do the same in a hear beat but I have compassion.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #22
tranzformer

Quote:
And this is coming from a Pats fan and enjoyed that rivalry between the Colts and Patriots and wish it kept going.

I think you have your hands full with the other Manning.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #23
tranzformer

Quote:
You see I if I was in the owner's shoes I'd try to help Manning out. I'd help him out by trying to get him another job via sign and trade. However to me that's still not enough for what he's done for Indy. To dump him like that especially to a Hall of Famer and not so long ago a Superbowl champion, is the wrong way to handle him.

I should note that this is a business when it comes down to the end of the day. You need to learn to cut your losses and move on.

Payton will still get his payday (maybe if another teams takes a risk and if Manning takes the risk of further injury). No sense in signing him and then trying to trade him. Just let him walk and sign his own contract.

I also think the Colts have been fair with him. Basically writing off all of 2011-2012. They have examined him and probably have a better idea of what is going on than any of us. Their call. At some point you need to make the best decision for the team. Even if that decision is hard to make. Why burden yourself with an expensive contract if he will just sit on the sideline for 4 years at a rate of $100 million? Makes no financial sense.

Let another team see if they can catch lightning in a bottle with him. I really wish him the best as he has been a great player, but for the Colts this really is the best move.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #24
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
I think you have your hands full with the other Manning.
Ahhh now why would you go on and bring that up?

Now I'm getting a little tensed while typing this. I think I'm going to go and take my aggression out at the punching bag right now.

But hey like I said before I'd like to see Peyton in NY too, so maybe that would be bad for NE but keeps it competitive.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #25
tranzformer

Quote:

Now I'm getting a little tensed while typing this. I think I'm going to go and take my aggression out at the punching bag right now.

No need to. We just have different viewpoints and opinions. That is perfectly ok. :happy0180:
Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #26
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
I should note that this is a business when it comes down to the end of the day. You need to learn to cut your losses and move on.

Payton will still get his payday (maybe if another teams takes a risk and if Manning takes the risk of further injury). No sense in signing him and then trying to trade him. Just let him walk and sign his own contract.

I also think the Colts have been fair with him. Basically writing off all of 2011-2012. They have examined him and probably have a better idea of what is going on than any of us. Their call. At some point you need to make the best decision for the team. Even if that decision is hard to make. Why burden yourself with an expensive contract if he will just sit on the sideline for 4 years at a rate of $100 million? Makes no financial sense.

Let another team see if they can catch lightning in a bottle with him. I really wish him the best as he has been a great player, but for the Colts this really is the best move.
That's why they should have gone sign and trade. Colts would have easily gotten some decent young players or probably nice draft pics.

And believe me man I learned to not have any real friendships or to be like buddies with your employees. So it may become easier to let them go.
So hypothetically say I have an employee who's been working for me for 46 years and he's about 1 year away from retirement. Then he has a heart attack and has to undergo coronary bypass surgery. Should I let him go or let him work himself back into it and try to finish what he started?
I've seen it plenty of times and feel bad for those in that same or similar situation, but these bosses really don't care and I don't want to see myself be like that one day.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #27
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
No need to. We just have different viewpoints and opinions. That is perfectly ok. :happy0180:
Oh I'm not mad at you man, I'm mad that that PAT's and how they couldn't win once again against the giants, hmm. I'm okay now after a few combos though.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #28
tranzformer

Quote:
So hypothetically say I have an employee who's been working for me for 46 years and he's about 1 year away from retirement. Then he has a heart attack and has to undergo coronary bypass surgery. Should I let him go or let him work himself back into it and try to finish what he started?
I think that is an entirely different case. I doubt that employee would cost you $100million in wages while he sits and watches from his sofa.