follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got a headlight or foglight question? ASK here.

If you have a question regarding headlights, fog lights or other external lighting feel free to post here. I have been building custom lights for over 13 years now. And would be more than happy to answer your questions. Retrofits, additional lighting, color temps, leds, you got a question about it and I can probably answer it.

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Pho20

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would like highbeam wigwags how would I go about doing that
Pho20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
HeresMyMind

If you are referring to them flashing back and forth like an emergency vehicle you can buy lots for them. If you have HID bixenon lights (brz) I would not recommend them since they will be constantly activating the high beam shields on/off.

-B
Old 12-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Where is a good place to see all the custom BRZ variants? I always just find 1 or 2.
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
How easy is it to swap projectors out in a headlamp assembly. The only bulbs left in my car that aren't LEDs are my headlights, and I would like to one day swap my current projectors for LED projectors.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have a 2017 BRZ that is lowered to 64-65 cm. I have after market SPL LCAs that have the slot for the auto level headlight sensor. The sensors are installed, however my headlights are basically aimed at the floor. Any recommendations to get the headlights back to its regular level?
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust View Post
I have a 2017 BRZ that is lowered to 64-65 cm. I have after market SPL LCAs that have the slot for the auto level headlight sensor. The sensors are installed, however my headlights are basically aimed at the floor. Any recommendations to get the headlights back to its regular level?

there are places you can use a phillips head screw driver to aim them higher manually. even with the oem ones, you can aim them manually.

what i do is set the height to 2, (There are 6 total settings) on the switch then. aim them the proper height using a phillips head screw driver on the headlight itself. (park 25ft (10m)from a wall on flat ground. the height of the left side of the cutoff should measure 2" (5cm) lower than the height from the ground to the center of the headlight).

then while driving you have a good range to adjust the height using the leveling wheel in the cabin. I aim them lower when driving through the city and higher when going through the country side.

-B

this is the back of your headlight, if you look at the top of the small grey box (the leveler motor) there is a spot to insert the screwdriver on the top. OR you can use an 8mm wrench/socket.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
How easy is it to swap projectors out in a headlamp assembly. The only bulbs left in my car that aren't LEDs are my headlights, and I would like to one day swap my current projectors for LED projectors.
IF you have a BRZ you had HID bulbs, do not change them out for LED bulbs. the optics are incorrect and your output and cutoff will suffer greatly.

If you have an FRS, you can purchase RX350 bixenon projectors, or RX350 non-afs projectors which are HID projectors and they will be a direct swap in the headlight once you open it up, using the pre-existing philips screws.

-B
The Following User Says Thank You to HeresMyMind For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (12-10-2018)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #9
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoops View Post
Where is a good place to see all the custom BRZ variants? I always just find 1 or 2.
I dont think there is a place that has them all posted, you should start a thread in this section so people can post them there kind of like the master wheel/tire thread.

-B
Old 12-20-2017, 07:26 AM   #10
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
IF you have a BRZ you had HID bulbs, do not change them out for LED bulbs. the optics are incorrect and your output and cutoff will suffer greatly.
You misunderstand my question. I want to swap out the entire HID projector unit for the LED projector from a 2017.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
HeresMyMind

Quote:
You misunderstand my question. I want to swap out the entire HID projector unit for the LED projector from a 2017.
Ah I apologize for misreading that.

If you are reffering to just swapping the projector from the insides:

The LED projectors will be a different mounting bolt pattern. if you are creative you may be able to do it with a few small custom brackets.

But IMO this is downgrade. The LED projectors have much less of an output vs our OEM hid projectors (Same as rx350 bixenons).

If you want to upgrade your stock headlights output there are 3 options.

1) install a clear lens on the projector. ~40$ and 2-3 hours of work if you've never taken headlights apart/out of a brz. I attached a photo of my personal headlights with a clear lens swap / tune on the OEM projector.

2) upgrade your bulbs, HID bulbs dimminish brightness over time. I swapped out my 2013 stock bulbs 1 month after owning it (it had 45k miles on it when i bought it). and the brightness difference was crazy.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...66440-cbi.html

If you want a "whiter" output. Purchase Osram CBI D4S bulbs from www.theretrofitsource.com. After about 20-25 hours of usage they break in to a true 5500k output and are the 2nd brightest OEM bulb on the market.

3) Upgrade to 50 watt ballasts, this improves performance about 30% but diminishes the lifespan of the bulbs. You also have to swap to D2S bulbs and change ballasts as well because our cars use D4S. And you have to cut a small tab off the bulb holder on the projectors.

If you want to swap the entire headlight assembly, it looks similar but I dont know how the wiring would be as I dont have one in hand to test.

-B
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to HeresMyMind For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (12-10-2018)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresMyMind View Post
But IMO this is downgrade. The LED projectors have much less of an output vs our OEM hid projectors (Same as rx350 bixenons).
Seems weird that the OEM 2017 headlights would be dimmer than the previous models. Are you sure about that?

The Osram bulbs are exactly what I had been looking at in the meantime, so it's good to see another recommendation for them.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Seems weird that the OEM 2017 headlights would be dimmer than the previous models. Are you sure about that?

The Osram bulbs are exactly what I had been looking at in the meantime, so it's good to see another recommendation for them.
I get where your confusion would be coming from. LED technology is still very new and not nearly as good performing as HID tech since it has been out much longer.

The brightest HID projectors are from 2004-2010 era.

LED tech is still catching up, but will take over in the long run because it is much more environmentally safe and will have longer lifespans.

Our D4S bulbs are the most up to date bulbs for HID projectors and are mercury free.

LED tech will catch up but it will take awhile. Look at the lexus led headlights they use 5-6 led projectors PER headlight to achieve that brightness.

The LED projectors in the BRZ are the same as the new Crosstreks and the Prius. They are Bi-LED Kioto 3" projectors.

-B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeresMyMind For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (01-12-2018), Stang70Fastback (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I installed a set of fog lights on my '13 FR-S, but would like them to operate as fog lights should; they should turn on only when the fog light switch is activated AND the low beams are on, and should go off automatically when the high beams are switched on or when the headlights are turned off. Right now, they're controlled just by the pushbutton dash switch. The relay, fuse, and power for the lights themselves are connected to the battery.

Right now, the fog light switch draws power from the ignition wire. Where exactly is the low beam wire to which I should attach the fog light switch wire?

Thanks... asked this a few times over the past two years, and haven't been able to figure it out yet.
HeresMyMind (12-20-2017)