follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #169
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I've spent the last week doing swap research only to be highly disappointed. After I pay $5k+ for Pure's Motec package how do I legally drive my car on the street?

So the real question still is when is someone going to figure out how to swap these cars and have them be actually inspect-able for all of us who live in states that have an OBD2 inspection, which is getting to be more and more states/counties, including the state Pure Auto is working in.

Yes I'm aware that waivers are a thing, for now...
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #170
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
So I've spent the last week doing swap research only to be highly disappointed. After I pay $5k+ for Pure's Motec package how do I legally drive my car on the street?

So the real question still is when is someone going to figure out how to swap these cars and have them be actually inspect-able for all of us who live in states that have an OBD2 inspection, which is getting to be more and more states/counties, including the state Pure Auto is working in.

legally, you can only do something like a California carb legal swap. There's no real other way. Unless the car is registered in a state without testing
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #171
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:

Like he said, in places with the same or similar laws as Califor, you can swap a replacement engine, or any newer engine from any make or model as long as all emissions equipment is unmodified and present. The two hardest things are not modifying the headers or cats in any way to fit, and to not modify the ECU/wiring completely and having a working car.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #172
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

As far as I know you can only "legally" swap to a newer engine and you have to maintain all of your emissions gear. Not sure if that is from the donor vehicle or the original chassis. Probably donor. So really you just have to figure out how to get a Honda emissions setup to work with the chassis
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #173
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
As far as I know you can only "legally" swap to a newer engine and you have to maintain all of your emissions gear. Not sure if that is from the donor vehicle or the original chassis. Probably donor. So really you just have to figure out how to get a Honda emissions setup to work with the chassis
Beat ya
Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #174
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Like he said, in places with the same or similar laws as Califor, you can swap a replacement engine, or any newer engine from any make or model as long as all emissions equipment is unmodified and present. The two hardest things are not modifying the headers or cats in any way to fit, and to not modify the ECU/wiring completely and having a working car.
I'm not sure that there headers would need to be unmodified, but the cats will have to be intact. Might have to use a CARB certified header and try to modify that just enough to make it work? I think so long as you don't mess with the cat or the visible part of the tube above the cat you should be ok there. ECU, I dunno. You could argue that it's an integral part of the emissions system but really (for example) if you flashed a new tune on your stock ECU it's not really the same anymore so I don't see a reason you can't use an after market ECU so long as your tune is clean. I find it hard to believe anyone will look at the ECU itself to check if it's OEM if you pass the sniff test.

Obviously it's going to be at least some more work/aggravation getting the car approved. You could always just fly casual and don't tell the inspector that it's the wrong motor.

Or buy a different car/mod the FA20. Obviously not ideal but if you don't think you can get it approved, don't start the project because you'll lose a fortune when you try to sell it
Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM   #175
Ashikabi

Quote:
Beat ya
Apparently
Old 03-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #176
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
legally, you can only do something like a California carb legal swap. There's no real other way. Unless the car is registered in a state without testing

Quote:

I'm fully aware of Cali law, which in many ways might be an advantage of sorts, you can take your functioning swap to a referee, prove it's as it should be and go on your way, no OBD2 nonsense required. Unless I misunderstand the process. (I'm not suggesting that's overtly easy, but it's doable and has been done).

Quote:
I'm not sure that there headers would need to be unmodified, but the cats will have to be intact. Might have to use a CARB certified header and try to modify that just enough to make it work? I think so long as you don't mess with the cat or the visible part of the tube above the cat you should be ok there. ECU, I dunno. You could argue that it's an integral part of the emissions system but really (for example) if you flashed a new tune on your stock ECU it's not really the same anymore so I don't see a reason you can't use an after market ECU so long as your tune is clean. I find it hard to believe anyone will look at the ECU itself to check if it's OEM if you pass the sniff test.

Obviously it's going to be at least some more work/aggravation getting the car approved. You could always just fly casual and don't tell the inspector that it's the wrong motor.

Or buy a different car/mod the FA20. Obviously not ideal but if you don't think you can get it approved, don't start the project because you'll lose a fortune when you try to sell it

My issue here is that the in MOST states that do inspect it's a simple OBD2 scan test on anything from 96 up. If you can get the the OBD2 to function properly you're in business, regardless of exact configuration (unlike cali). You pull in, plug in and go, if the VIN pull on the ECU matches and the monitors are good you're good.

Is anyone working on getting the OBD2 "working" enough to pass that test?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #177
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Is anyone working on getting the OBD2 "working" enough to pass that test?
You won't find much help, as it's illegal to "fool" in any way the OBD2 systems.

Moving to a non testing county or state is your best bet
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #178
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This swap has me droolin...

Are you guys going with a K20A or K20A2 head?
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #179
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
You won't find much help, as it's illegal to "fool" in any way the OBD2 systems.

So long as you aren't turning off codes you should be fine. I'm curious if a standard code reader will still operate with the standalone ECU though. I know the Nemesis at least works partially because you can take it to the dealer for problems with the ABS and SRS systems. Things that aren't controlled by the primary ecu
Old 03-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #180
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
So long as you aren't turning off codes you should be fine. I'm curious if a standard code reader will still operate with the standalone ECU though. I know the Nemesis at least works partially because you can take it to the dealer for problems with the ABS and SRS systems. Things that aren't controlled by the primary ecu
The hardest part is getting the "readiness tests" to be all active and display properly.

With Motec ABS, SRS work off independently and can still be accessed through OBD2.

No standalone provides obd2 monitors CEL or readings for the engine ecu.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #181
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Quote:

I'm not trying to fool it, I'm trying to get it functional enough to work for the purpose of state mandated OBD2 testing on MY96+ vehicles.

Your other statement doesn't even merit anything more than an acknowledgement that it was made and it was pointless.

Quote:
The hardest part is getting the "readiness tests" to be all active and display properly.

With Motec ABS, SRS work off independently and can still be accessed through OBD2.

Again, completely aware that a standalone won't work, which is why it's incredibly odd to me that it's being hailed as "The SOLUTION" to all our swap ills when it's very clearly not. It's just a really expensive motorsports solution that works well for motorsports. I don't want a track only car, I want a BRZ with a K24 that I can use just like I use my BRZ now.

Has anyone done ANY swap that will pass an OBD2 inspection test?
Old 03-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #182
Ashikabi

Quote:

Then this part alone will be the hardest part of getting it certified. I don't see any DOT official being happy about looking at YOUR laptop to "prove" everything is running like a stock car. HOWEVER, using a Honda computer with the MRS adapter might work. Or alternatively you could use a Honda computer and harness, forego CAN integration and either mod a Honda cluster or use aftermarket gauges.
@s0sl0w
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Four_wheel_drifts (11-07-2021)