follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #57
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
They're updates that need to eventually roll out.

FWIW, the Solo 1 was a total shitshow for years when it first came out.
That sounds about right...Hey-ah, it's-ah an Italian Company-ah! We fix it later-ah? You getting your times, no? Get outta here-ah I'm on holliday-ah! My espresso it getting cold here!
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #58
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesurf79 View Post
Have you updated the firmware recently? I think one of the updates was to help improve the battery life.

Not sure if it worked though, if mine's in the car it's plugged into the OBD2 port which powers it.

I have not since mid summer. My season is over, unless I send it out with someone going out of state this winter.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #59
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Anyone run RS3 and RS analysis on a Microsoft Surface? I'm considering picking up a Surface Go for this purpose.

I figured for this and travel it would work fine, I have another laptop, which I'd rather not lug to the track, for other tasks (such as video).
Old 11-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #60
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I don't own a surface, but yes, I've used a surface for it many times.

The high resolution is fantastic for it.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
redlined600 (11-29-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:54 PM   #61
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Does anyone's Solo 2 battery still drain even if it is turned off? Had mine go all the way down to 0% after a week or two. Having to remember to charge it before an event is a PITA.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #62
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
They do slowly discharge over time

FYI there was another firmware update last week.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #63
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Man, I really don't like the new Solo. I feel like it's harder to read and has more glare or something.

How on earth do they not use those lights on the side better? It would be AWESOME if they went red to green for predicted. Then I could go through a turn and quickly see "oh, thats better/worse" when I do __________ .
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #64
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
Man, I really don't like the new Solo. I feel like it's harder to read and has more glare or something.

How on earth do they not use those lights on the side better? It would be AWESOME if they went red to green for predicted. Then I could go through a turn and quickly see "oh, thats better/worse" when I do __________ .
I've got my Solo2 set up to have the LED's indicate +/-0.1s from either my best lap of the session or best lap of the day (red for worse and green for better), I like that better than predicted times and it tells me in real time if I'm faster or slower.

There are also a few options for the backlight which might help with glare, I put my Solo2 on the front quarter window so it's just above the vent on the left side of the steering wheel. That keeps it out of the any glare and as a bonus I can use it as an extended handle to help shut the door.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:49 PM   #65
Brzerker

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Quote:

The LEDs does that, as I did lap after lap. Like 14stu said, you can configure it to light up sequentially when you're +/- 0.1 sec.

But yeah, the display isn't the best under sunlight...I do prefer the old solo when it comes to the display
Old 12-05-2018, 12:28 AM   #66
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think you are missing what I’m asking for. I want it to go read when my predicted is increasing and green when it is decreasing.
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #67
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think you are missing what I’m asking for. I want it to go read when my predicted is increasing and green when it is decreasing.
I'm pretty sure that's what the LED's do in the setting we're talking about.

For example: if I go around a corner and watch the lights, if I'm faster the lights are green and if I'm slower they're red. Now, as long as I keep the same number of lights on, I'm not gaining or losing time. If I get fewer red or more green lights, I've going even faster.

The lights predict how much better/worse you'll be than your reference lap (fastest of the session, fastest of the day, or I believe you can just load/leave your fastest lap as the reference).

I was on the 1.7cw at MSR-C Saturday, and since I have so few laps in that direction I was still experimenting with different lines through multiple corners throughout the day. The LED's immediately told me if a line was faster or slower and by how much (to the nearest tenth). I've found that this type of data is much more helpful than "theoretical best times" for making improvements.

I'm not sure how this is different from what you want. My best guess is that you want to save your PB and have the lights tell you if you are improving sections time compared to your PB. I believe that you can set the Solo2 to do this by setting your PB as your reference lap, but I haven't tried (my opinion is that conditions vary enough that using the best time of the day/session is the best way to get faster, but I also always study my PB before and compare after a trackday).

PM me if you want to share BRZ data for the local tracks (I'm BRZ4Science on TrackJunkies.org, btw).
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #68
gkubed

Drives: 15 ZN6, 97 NA8, 87 AE82, 78 MX32
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I was looking at the user manual and under the display settings (page 24) it has a screen shot of a OILP (oil pressure) being displayed in BAR.

https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...de_101_eng.pdf

This is something I was very interested in, and while the Solo does appear to support it, our cars do not. We'll have to monitor oil pressure via a sandwich plate beneath the oil filter or an unused gallery plug on the block. I don't own a Solo 2 DL, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to "add" this value to the unit if not by OBDII. Anyone who is more familiar with the unit may correct me if that's false.

While this product looks really cool, I think it's just not worth the trouble for me at this price point (for now). Maybe down the road it will make more sense.
gkubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #69
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkubed View Post
This is something I was very interested in, and while the Solo does appear to support it, our cars do not. We'll have to monitor oil pressure via a sandwich plate beneath the oil filter or an unused gallery plug on the block. I don't own a Solo 2 DL, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to "add" this value to the unit if not by OBDII. Anyone who is more familiar with the unit may correct me if that's false.

While this product looks really cool, I think it's just not worth the trouble for me at this price point (for now). Maybe down the road it will make more sense.

Yup, I did learn that the car itself doesn't support OilT. This was on my list for my t4 build but I already have the original Aim Solo and since I got the Innovate combo OilP/OilT gauge and a WaterT gauge I figured the new DL2 was unnecessary.

Down the road I may add it because it could be a good substitute for the dash and the other data it gathers from the computer could be a valuable analytical tool. However, when that time comes it may just be worth spending a few extra $$ to buy the MXM or MXS.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #70
gkubed

Drives: 15 ZN6, 97 NA8, 87 AE82, 78 MX32
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Yup, I did learn that the car itself doesn't support OilT. This was on my list for my t4 build but I already have the original Aim Solo and since I got the Innovate combo OilP/OilT gauge and a WaterT gauge I figured the new DL2 was unnecessary.

Down the road I may add it because it could be a good substitute for the dash and the other data it gathers from the computer could be a valuable analytical tool. However, when that time comes it may just be worth spending a few extra $$ to buy the MXM or MXS.
Not to nitpick but you mean OilP not OilT, right? I was under the impression that oil temperature was available via OBDII but I may be incorrect.

Not to go too off topic, but how do you like that Innovate combo gauge? I've taken a peak or two at it a couple times over the past few weeks, and I think it may be in my favor to pick one of these guys up.
gkubed is offline   Reply With Quote