follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Yousend

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Intermittent overheating on one brake

Ever since I installed my winter tires (on OEM wheels) my brakes have been overheating intermittently. First day I got the tires, I was in stop and go traffic, then when I reached about 50kmph for the first time, I started feeling heavy vibration that disappeared after I slowed down. So I shrugged it off as a tire balancing issue. Brought them back, got them balanced again.

From Thursday until Saturday, everything went fine. Today I drove for about 20minutes then right as I'm about to arrive at my destination I feel the car shake. We assumed it was the road since it happened so abruptly. When we left, it happened again except it sounded like I had a flat tire. We stop, check tire pressure everything is fine. Nothing looks fishy yet.

We resume again, get on the highway, everything is fine. Get off the highway onto the service road and it happens again, it shakes but no "flat tire" sound. We stop in a parking and inspect the car. There's smoke coming out of the rear right wheel well. There's slight discoloration on the rotor on bottom part, the one attached with bolts. No issues with the discs, they're not warped.

What could the issue be? I have driven multiple times longer distances without issues since I first experienced the issue. It seems really random. I replaced the pads and rotors in September.

https://imgur.com/a/5SecrGk

Last edited by Yousend; 10-21-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Yousend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
Ever since I installed my winter tires (on OEM wheels) my brakes have been overheating intermittently. First day I got the tires, I was in stop and go traffic, then when I reached about 50kmph for the first time, I started feeling heavy vibration that disappeared after I slowed down. So I shrugged it off as a tire balancing issue. Brought them back, got them balanced again.

From Thursday until Saturday, everything went fine. Today I drove for about 20minutes then right as I'm about to arrive at my destination I feel the car shake. We assumed it was the road since it happened so abruptly. When we left, it happened again except it sounded like I had a flat tire. We stop, check tire pressure everything is fine. Nothing looks fishy yet.

We resume again, get on the highway, everything is fine. Get off the highway onto the service road and it happens again, it shakes but no "flat tire" sound. We stop in a parking and inspect the car. There's smoke coming out of the rear right wheel well. There's slight discoloration on the rotor on bottom part, the one attached with bolts. No issues with the discs, they're not warped.

What could the issue be? I have driven multiple times longer distances without issues since I first experienced the issue. It seems really random. I replaced the pads and rotors in September.
Well, if I had to guess, I would guess that the caliper on the right rear wheel is sticking.

I'd suggest you have it inspected and replaced if necessary.

I'd do that sooner than later.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (10-22-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
Yousend

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, if I had to guess, I would guess that the caliper on the right rear wheel is sticking.

I'd suggest you have it inspected and replaced if necessary.

I'd do that sooner than later.

humfrz
I will have my brother inspect it on Tuesday at his work, but I'm concerned for now. I added an image of the one that was smoking.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousend View Post
I will have my brother inspect it on Tuesday at his work, but I'm concerned for now. I added an image of the one that was smoking.
OK, but, between now and when your brother does the inspection, I'd suggest you not drive the car unless its necessary.

After you drive it to your brothers work, after you arrive, I'd check all the rims and or calipers to see it that one is hotter than the rest.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Yousend (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd also in beginning of drive would try to drive at lower speeds in 1st & 2nd gear (for noises to not drown in louder engine/road/tire noise at speed) with windows down, sometimes one can hear when one of brakes drags.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Yousend (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Did you take the wheels off and inspect yet? Check BOTH sides and make sure none of the brake lines are bent or crushed or pinched or anything.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 AM   #7
Yousend

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Did you take the wheels off and inspect yet? Check BOTH sides and make sure none of the brake lines are bent or crushed or pinched or anything.
I did not have a chance to take the wheel off yet. My work is less than 3km away, so I walked to work today. I had a small errand to run last night and when I drove, there was a sound from the rear passenger side as if something got dislodged. I am suspecting something may have been between the brake pads and rotors.

I will have my brother check the lines tomorrow make sure they're not pinched. Last week we assumed it was a balancing issue so he probably did not check the lines when rebalancing.

Note: He did not balance and install the wheels on Wednesday, his coworkers did so I will have him check to make sure they did not touch the lines for whatever reasons.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Not with my car now, but is the E-brake inside the center working like a drum brake?
If so. stuck cable?
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
This happened to me the first year I owned the car in temps under 30 degrees f. E-brake sticks, stop using it if you are. See if that helps
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #10
Yousend

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Finally did, there was a crack in the rotor and the drum is not round anymore, it's a bit bent. I hope once it is replaced it will fix the vibration issue.

https://imgur.com/a/jJtiPJG
The Following User Says Thank You to Yousend For This Useful Post:
guybo (10-26-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 05:17 PM   #11
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
You will still need to check the cable as a stuck cable could have overheated the drum section and caused the crack.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Yousend (10-25-2018)