follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
Flow

Drives: DGMBRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Flow's dark grey BRZed

Bought as a weekender before moving to the Bay Area, now my dd. This will be a long, slow build for me, as its the first time I've started modding, and other than a little experience with my Dad when I was a kid, I haven't worked on cars before. So, I'm making one change at a time, studying and learning about each system before changing it, and making changes based on what I think she needs. I've taken her to the track once with HOD. Awesome. Will go again.

Next up

Considering soon:
  • Mild sound proofing
  • Turbo/SC/ESC - Jarrett @WORKS gave me a test ride in their Stage 2 Turbo BRZ. No lag. Wonderful pull and sound. Might be too much for my mainly DD, street driving use case.

Things I've done:
  • OFT - definitely improved sound and I feel performance, by a little bit.
  • Diff & trans fluid changes. Motul 300. Haven't noticed any effect in shifting.
  • Perrin Steering Brace - Just got this put on by @WORKS - thanks guys. I noticed an immediate improvement, removing the ~1.5" of travel in the steering. No additional NVH on the 1.5 highway driving back.
  • Switched to MPSS 235/45/17. Added a 1/2 inch of height, so I'd stop scraping on my driveway, but, I also like the slightly softer ride, although the softer (taller) sidewall has worsened stability in corners. At a lower height, I felt the wheels should have been a bit further out. Probably something to do with scrub radius, but, *shrug*, maybe its confirmation bias. Do love that they fill the wheel wells more. Ideally, I think I'd be at 17x9 245/40 or 45's.
  • Exhaust Tips. Some cheapie replacements.
  • Third Brake Light Relocation & Replacement. Wheelhaus did fantastic work with this: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74299
  • Silver Reverse Lockout Pull
  • GrimmSpeed Intake. Jumped to the top of my list of favorite mods. Sound, power both improved.
  • Debadged
  • Tom's Clear Taillights
  • MTech Red Stainless Steel Brakelines
  • Replaced brake fluid with high temp racing.
  • Wedsport 17x8 TC105n, w/ MPSS 225/45/17's Finally got around to getting my wheels on: 17x8 TC105n, +42. -5.5 lbs? Michelin PSS 225/45/17 +1.7lbs? -3.8lbs total per corner? Whatever it is, I feel it. The stance is better. I wouldn't mind it a little wider, but it still feels more and very stable. The ride is nicer for the lack of weight. Bouncier for the tires.
  • Convex side mirrors (heated, blue) for better visibility.
  • Sound tube cap. I love this.
  • Front & Rear plate frame - Subaru thin black steel.(My first 'mod'.)
  • Front License Plate holder (Under bumper mount from Skene Design).
  • Phone mount.
  • JDM Clear Side Markers
  • Perrin Stainless Steel Fat Shift Knob (big fan of this. I feel the shifts better, they're smoother.)
  • OIBD2 reader, but just starting to mess around w/ torque app
  • OEM (czech-made) Armrest
  • Clutch pad adjustment. Still loving this, and would like to shift the clutch engagement point lower too.
  • JPM Coachworks Gauge Custer cover
  • JPM coachworks Dash Panel Cover
  • Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20. Love it.
  • 108s fumoto valve: quality construction. easy install.
  • GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace: good for what it does, but $exp
  • Replace RallyArmor Mudflaps with OEM mudguards
  • Finally replace OEM brake pads. They still have life (at least 6mm), but starting to squeak, and I'm tired of waiting to use them up. StopTech Street Performance pads, already bought. Also, really love how the master brake brace and stainless steel lines firmed up braking, so hoping for a bit more tightness with the replacement pads.
Attached Images

Last edited by Flow; 09-11-2016 at 02:16 PM. Reason: cuz
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flow For This Useful Post:
bedabi (03-16-2014), WORKS (09-12-2016)
Old 03-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Flow

rsv'd
Old 06-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
Flow

rsv'd.

Last edited by Flow; 06-08-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Flow

You can see from the pictures below how small my garage is. My driveway is also very steep, like 20 degrees.

Just looking for some opinions on whether it would be possible to jack/work on my car in that small of a space... or somehow on a steep driveway... as in, has anyone else done it, or how would you go about it...

Since I don't have many tools, I don't want to buy everything if I'm just going to have to take the car to a shop to get any work done.

Tia for any opinions.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
That's a tight space for sure, how skinny are you, lol?

I look forward to more updates...especially if you get that driveshaft
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
ModBargains

Drives: FRS, M3
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Aww its in a box. Lets get this thing out and race
ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains View Post
Aww its in a box. Lets get this thing out and race
Ha. Needs a bow. Seriously, I want to get it out and race again, but need new brake pads and a fluid flush. Any thoughts on working in a space that small?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Flow

Updates.

JPM Coachworks gauge cluster hood cover & OEM armrest.

I picked up a jack, jackstands, and wheel chocks, and have new brake pads coming (Stoptech street performance ... for $110 total, I figured I'd see how dif streets pads felt) and will 'try' to install them myself this week, in my tiny little garage.

Next up will be the JPM Coachworks dash panel, and a master cylinder brace.

edit: oh.oh.oh, I finally got around to doing the clutch pad adjustment. Awesome: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040. It's amazing what a small change (~10mm?) makes. The positioning just feels so much more natural now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Flow; 07-20-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
Flow

After oil change to Pennzoil Ultra Plat 5w-20. 5l replaced. Engine sounds so much better. She purrs now. Also added the fumoto 108s valve.

Master brake cylinder brace is next weekend. Starting to think about taillights, carbon fiber drive shaft, brake, trans and diff fluid changes. May need ramps.
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #10
Flow

Still plugging along. A bunch of changes made since last update, like stainless steel brake lines, racing brake fluid, reverse lock-out, but no pics. Trying to figure out what to do with my spoiler/trunk now, so I removed the OEM one (which I hate). I might just purchase a new trunk and go spoilerless. I love the fat ass on my girl (pic 1). But, also bought a cheap ebay rep of the TRD spoiler, to evaluate whether I want to use one of the few spoilers that covers the BRZ trunk holes (pics 2 & 3). And, finally, I installed Wheelhaus' fantastic brake light (pic 4).
Attached Images

Tags
sup flow