follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #43
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
...............Or think of it as a positive, drive your car as is. When you eventually start to see a leak from the timing cover or what have you. Take it in for the recall get those leaks fixed. The recall does not expire, so take it as a discount on future work in fixing leaks or avoiding labor costs with replacing the clutch or TOB. …..
Now, THAT sounds like a good plan -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
venturaII (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #44
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
@DandoX Subaru dealers order the parts per vehicle, they don't have them in stock ready to go. If a problem arises while the recall work is being done it gets documented and sent in to SOA and then they order the parts to solve that issue. My dealer told me the other day when I called to get the process started that it will be 1-2 months for the parts to arrive and when they get the parts they will call me to schedule the time to bring the car in. At that point I will be leaving the car for 10-15 days and it will go into the queue. They leave 5 days for the work to be done even though it's only supposed to be 12 hours of labor because they test drive the car a few times after they've done the work to ensure that there isn't a problem. I said I'd rather they didn't spend so much time driving my car and was told I could take it somewhere else if that was a problem. They don't want cars brought back and they're being pretty thorough. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it but considering that I do 1500 miles or more a week and end up in some pretty remote places I'd rather not be stranded with a blown motor so I guess it's good that they want to catch it first.

Not sure on the process that Subaru goes through, but I called around different Toyota dealerships and some said they have to order parts and others said they stocked parts for things that can fail from the recall. I would be less concerned for Subaru owners since they are doing so many of the same recall, tossing in a BRZ is no sweat since they are doing tons of their cars. Still I would still advise traveling to a better dealership vs going to a mediocre close one.

I would be concerned with the Subaru dealer you mentioned, being back ordered on parts and having a long que is understandable considering how many of their vehicles are affected. However the taking 5 days to do the service and multiple test drives is a red flag. It should be two 10-15 min test drives one before and one after. The work shouldn't take that long and it means the mechanic isn't comfortable enough to knock it out confidently and efficiently in a day or two. I would be weary of that dealership.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #45
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Not sure on the process that Subaru goes through, but I called around different Toyota dealerships and some said they have to order parts and others said they stocked parts for things that can fail from the recall. I would be less concerned for Subaru owners since they are doing so many of the same recall, tossing in a BRZ is no sweat since they are doing tons of their cars. Still I would still advise traveling to a better dealership vs going to a mediocre close one.
Subaru dealers are doing less of the same recall. There are less BRZ than FRS.

The other Subaru models that are impacted by the Valve Spring recall have a different parts list and do not require the front cover to be removed.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-21-2019), Tcoat (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #46
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Subaru dealers are doing less of the same recall. There are less BRZ than FRS.

The other Subaru models that are impacted by the Valve Spring recall have a different parts list and do not require the front cover to be removed.

I didn't know that. More reason to be cautious and thoroughly go through those steps. I think that gives the best chance of a problem free recall procedure.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
BigTuna (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #47
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I didn't know that. More reason to be cautious and thoroughly go through those steps. I think that gives the best chance of a problem free recall procedure.
The benfit is that subaru works on the FA and FB Motors lots more, so they have had way more training on these motors regardless. Are they doing 4 a day with valve cover R&R, no. I know my local dealer has done 4 BRZs so far, no issues to date. However, its also winter so some may have just went back into the garage.

The service manager at the knows me well, texted me the day it was official and was like guessing we won't be seeing you're car for a couple months on this recall? I was debating even waiting until next year as nothing is leaking on mine yet. Figure, may as well leave it sealed nicely.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #48
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I would be concerned with the Subaru dealer you mentioned, being back ordered on parts and having a long que is understandable considering how many of their vehicles are affected. However the taking 5 days to do the service and multiple test drives is a red flag. It should be two 10-15 min test drives one before and one after. The work shouldn't take that long and it means the mechanic isn't comfortable enough to knock it out confidently and efficiently in a day or two. I would be weary of that dealership.
When I stopped in on Tuesday afternoon they had 11 cars waiting to be done. Mostly Imp's and Crosstreks but there were 2 BRZ's. They did say that they haven't had a single car come back with problems after being done so that sounds good. The parts have to be ordered because it goes by VIN so they can't just keep them in stock.