follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #43
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post

Just say no to cheap tires.
Thanks for adding to the thread, and to the O.P. for his reply, too.

I'm a strong believer in saying no to bad tires, but my experience hasn't always been that inexpensive results in bad, nor that expensive results in good. I'm hoping to find something good that is inexpensive, that's all. Michelins are good tires.. and also expensive. Rikens are made by Michelin (or a least owned by them, and made in some the same factories.. Indonesia, I believe), but don't have the Michelin "surcharge" for the name. Just hoping they might have some of the Michelin quality.... ?

Sorry for the thread drift.. this thread was about the Raptor HR, which is an all-season "grand touring" tire, and I was asking about the Raptor ZR, which is a very different summer performance tire. I've attached pics of both, and am still wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the ZR, specifically.. maybe I should start a new thread.

Thanks..
Attached Images

Last edited by MuseChaser; 12-12-2017 at 12:33 PM.
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:21 AM   #44
thecarfilmer
IG: @nickwiththefrs

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post

I'm a strong believer in saying no to bad tires, but my experience hasn't always been that inexpensive results in bad, nor that expensive results in good. I'm hoping to find something good that is inexpensive, that's all. Michelins are good tires.. and also expensive. Rikens are made by Michelin (or a least owned by them, and made in some the same factories.. Indonesia, I believe), but don't have the Michelin "surcharge" for the name. Just hoping they might have some of the Michelin quality.... ?

Sorry for the thread drift.. this thread was about the Raptor HR, which is an all-season "grand touring" tire, and I was asking about the Raptor ZR, which is a very different summer performance tire. I've attached pics of both, and am still wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the ZR, specifically.. maybe I should start a new thread.

Thanks..
I ordered the ZRs in 235/40/18 a few weeks ago and they seem fine to me. Haven't noticed anything odd ever since they were mounted.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #45
Slammillionaire

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post

Thanks..
I was looking at the ZR's too and came accross this thread that scared me a bit:

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...en-raptor.html
Slammillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #46
MuseChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammillionaire View Post
I was looking at the ZR's too and came accross this thread that scared me a bit:

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...en-raptor.html
Thanks.. just read the thread. It's from 2009, and lots can happen in eight years, but given the importance of tires in the whole driver-to-road interface, and the desire to keep people alive who are in and around my car, it probably makes little sense to "take a chance" or experiment with tires that aren't a known-good commodity. I'll probably pass on the Rikens. Of course, for every horror story I'm sure there's hundreds of contented Riken owners who don't feel the need to post positive comments.

See.."Drove today.. did not crash."
Old 12-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #47
MuseChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfilmer View Post
I ordered the ZRs in 235/40/18 a few weeks ago and they seem fine to me. Haven't noticed anything odd ever since they were mounted.
Thanks. Would be very interested in following up with you once you get a few thousand on them.
thecarfilmer (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #48
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I never buy junk tires but when I first leave the tire shop on brand new tires it always feels floaty. I’ve alway writen it off as the old tires having fatigued sidewalls over a long period of time where you don’t notice and then when you get new tires you feel the dramatic change. New tires are very rigid and give a more direct feel. After a week or so this sensation usually goes away for me.

The pulling left and right is probably alignment assuming the tire pressures are even. When the alignment is off on a car the tires typically wear unevenly which often masks the bad alignment. Throw some new tires on and the bad alignment isn’t masked anymore. I’d be willing to bet the OP’s used tires were corded on the inside.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #49
Slammillionaire

UPDATE:
I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on over the weekend and holy shit, what a difference. Feels like a brand new car.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slammillionaire For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-06-2018), JohnJuan (09-11-2018), JonAvalon (09-06-2018), jubella2 (09-06-2018), kch (09-06-2018), Leonardo (09-06-2018), Tcoat (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #50
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
UPDATE:
I put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on over the weekend and holy shit, what a difference. Feels like a brand new car.
Yep, I (begrudgingly) got some AS3s when I moved up here to Seattle and was surprised at how good they felt for an all-season tire.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #51
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
UPDATE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Yep, I (begrudgingly) got some AS3s when I moved up here to Seattle and was surprised at how good they felt for an all-season tire.
I have been running the AS3+ for two years now. I love them for the type of driving I do. A lot of guys don't like them though.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #52
Slammillionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have been running the AS3+ for two years now. I love them for the type of driving I do. A lot of guys don't like them though.

Having one set of wheels for the foreseeable future and living in NJ pretty much forced me to get these over the PS4s, but these things have more grip than any other A/S tire I've used before. Why don't people like them?
Old 09-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #53
Tcoat

Quote:
Having one set of wheels for the foreseeable future and living in NJ pretty much forced me to get these over the PS4s, but these things have more grip than any other A/S tire I've used before. Why don't people like them?
Mostly because they have more grip! Some also don't like the slightly softer sidewall but the softness is one of the compromises for an AS tire.
I use mine up until we start getting consistently freezing nights and then switch over to actual winter tires. They are called all season but they really are only three season tires. Don't push them hard in deep snow or very cold temperatures.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #54
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Mostly because they have more grip! Some also don't like the slightly softer sidewall but the softness is one of the compromises for an AS tire.
I use mine up until we start getting consistently freezing nights and then switch over to actual winter tires. They are called all season but they really are only three season tires. Don't push them hard in deep snow or very cold temperatures.

How much snow do you think they can handle if any? 3-5 inches? I'm looking to replace my summer PS2s with all seasons so I can prolong the time till I need blizzaks each season
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #55
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
How much snow do you think they can handle if any? 3-5 inches? I'm looking to replace my summer PS2s with all seasons so I can prolong the time till I need blizzaks each season
They tested fine in one inch but I have personally never tried them in the snow. I would think OK in a couple of inches if not real cold out and sticking to city streets. In temperatures much below freezing they just get too hard and slippery. They have been prefect for me until I switch to the full winters.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #56
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
They tested fine in one inch but I have personally never tried them in the snow. I would think OK in a couple of inches if not real cold out and sticking to city streets. In temperatures much below freezing they just get too hard and slippery. They have been prefect for me until I switch to the full winters.

Good to know
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote