follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #225
cocoy_labuyo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've had General Altimax studded and got through 5 winters without issues. I've driven with these in snow storms, slush, packed snow, 5-7" of fresh snow and never got stuck or had a problem getting through it. Now I need to buy a new set of winter tires and saw Westlake SW606 in other forums and got good reviews. Has anyone here tried those or just stick to Generals?
cocoy_labuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #226
NeatRo

Drives: White One
I agree, Blizzaks are probably the best, but Michelin Ice XI3s are not far behind. And if I’m not mistaken XI3s are cheaper too. Look at the difference between them: http://topautotools.com/bridgestone-vs-michelin-top-two-brands-compared/
NeatRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #227
bradtwurst

Drives: 14 limited
WRX wheels and 205/60/16

First winter with my new-to-me '14 stock brz.

I have a set of X-Ice3 205/60/16 from a previous vehicle that are still in great shape, and I'd like to reuse them. I see that they are not the 'recommended' 16-inch size. Any issues that I need to watch out for (besides the speedo error)?

I can pick up a set of used wrx oem wheels for about the price of a single steelie.

Any issues with fitment? According to the calculator at wheel-size.com, it appears that I'll get a 10 to 12 mm of negative scrub. What would I be getting myself into with this setup?

Thanks,
James
bradtwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #228
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtwurst View Post
First winter with my new-to-me '14 stock brz.

I have a set of X-Ice3 205/60/16 from a previous vehicle that are still in great shape, and I'd like to reuse them. I see that they are not the 'recommended' 16-inch size. Any issues that I need to watch out for (besides the speedo error)?

I can pick up a set of used wrx oem wheels for about the price of a single steelie.

Any issues with fitment? According to the calculator at wheel-size.com, it appears that I'll get a 10 to 12 mm of negative scrub. What would I be getting myself into with this setup?

Thanks,
James
You're good. I run 215/60-16 in the same size wheel with 20mm spacers at all 4 corners. I'm a huge fan of that setup. Considering going with 215/65 this year for a dash of extra height/sidewall. I also run 3/8" strut top spacers, which are not required to fit the tires.

As you can see, PLENTY of room for all dat meat!

SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #229
bradtwurst

Drives: 14 limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
You're good.
I got them mounted last night as the first snow fell yesterday.

The wheels came plasti-dipped with some of it rubbed off, but not too concern 'cause winter.

I didn't use any spacers. They are a small bit closer to the springs than the oem's by about a 1/10" or 2/10".

Next step is to mount the scion oem 'splash guards'.

Thanks for the response.

James
Attached Images

bradtwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #230
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtwurst View Post
I got them mounted last night as the first snow fell yesterday.

The wheels came plasti-dipped with some of it rubbed off, but not too concern 'cause winter.

I didn't use any spacers. They are a small bit closer to the springs than the oem's by about a 1/10" or 2/10".

Next step is to mount the scion oem 'splash guards'.

Thanks for the response.

James
That'll work great. You'll love having dedicated winters with this car. A small bag of sand in the spare tire well, a milsurp folding shovel, and some 'zip tie chains' are my basic preparations for this car in winter. I live in western MA where a foot of snow is pretty standard fair. When the storm looks like it'll be 2 feet I take the Forester XT instead.

Go out and drive the car 'spiritedly' just to make sure you don't have any clearance issues rubber to spring. I didn't have any with my RS wheels but they have a slightly lower offset, and I ended up running them with spacers anyway.

Also, those wheels are from the second half of 05, it was a slight update and a less common wheel, (I think they look better...)
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #231
redfred

Drives: Red BRZ
For the past couple of years I've been running Goodyear Sport GTs year-round, an all-season performance tire. I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and the tires performed well enough in the winter. We did have mild winters, and I did not try to drive in deep, fresh snow. On icy and plowed roads there was not too much drama with these tires. If I was stuck, it was coming up the driveway and turning-off T/C helped me get free. I was never stranded.

This year I'm in Cleveland, OH and commuting about 20 miles. I've just mounted Michelin PS3+ A/S tires, in 225 width. So far I like them in wet & dry conditions, but no snow yet.

Will update in the spring, hope this helps.
redfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #232
Marty Bonesaw

Drives: 17 BRZ W/ PP
Just installed continental winter contact with 225/45/17 yesterday at work. They are definitely a lot louder than the primacys. I'll be sure to update when we get some real weather to try them out.
Marty Bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Bonesaw For This Useful Post:
JSube (12-19-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #233
Roth

Drives: 2013 Gt86
Recently mounted a set of studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta, 215 45 17. Great on snow and ice, very noisy and "soft-sided" on all other conditions.
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #234
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Roth: noise-wise hint from me also driving studded hakkas (205/55/16 though). Don't drive at highway speeds with rear seat lowered, which will amplify noise many-fold. Had once to do that to fit skis and drive for few hours .. it was horrible tiring experience. Lot of fun at some drifting when got on snowy roads near mountain though
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #235
Roth

Drives: 2013 Gt86
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Roth: noise-wise hint from me also driving studded hakkas (205/55/16 though). Don't drive at highway speeds with rear seat lowered, which will amplify noise many-fold. Had once to do that to fit skis and drive for few hours .. it was horrible tiring experience. Lot of fun at some drifting when got on snowy roads near mountain though
Highway for me is a no-issue, as the closest hw to me is at 450km distance

And you're right, lot of fun on snowy roads. I'm impressed how well this car handles on ice. The front end seems glued to the road, and the back slides only when you want it.

* I see that you live in Riga. Amazing city, I've been working-studying in Lithuania (Kaunas and Siauliai) for a couple of years, and took many trips to Latvia, where I have some good friends. Boy it was a great time
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #236
served

Drives: 2017 BRZ pp
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 215/45/17

Bridgestone's 'performance' winter tire did very well for me for 2 seasons on my 135i, even through some big snowstorms. They still had plenty of tread so I swapped them onto my BRZ PP wheels earlier this week. Had a chance to try them out in a snowstorm yesterday and I'd say for this car they are pretty lacking in poor weather traction. Lots of fishtailing, also couldn't make it up a hill at one point in some icy mix. I think the 135i was just better in the snow all around due to the extra 500 lbs of weight. Threw some sandbags in the back so I'll see if that helps with the traction issue.

On the plus side they are fantastic in cold, dry conditions. Firm and grippy. I actually think they have more cold dry grip than the stock primacys have in warm weather.

For this car, sadly I don't think I would go with these again as they are sorta sketchy when the weather is poor.
served is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #237
Marty Bonesaw

Drives: 17 BRZ W/ PP
Got the first good snow today. Continental winter contact Si 225/45/17. After having them on for a couple weeks and a couple snows I am pretty happy with them. They make a lot of noise, especially above 70mph, but in dry are defiantly better with traction than the stock primacy’s. Snow traction is great, we got about 4 inches today and I haven’t had any issue on hills or turns. The only time I’ve lost traction was when I wanted to, or obviously would. I got a terrific deal on the tires so with that considered I couldn’t have done better. Had I paid full price for them I’d still be satisfied. For reference my previous car was a fiesta st that I ran 185/60/15 general Altimax arctic in winter.
Marty Bonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:17 AM   #238
neilr

Drives: 2018 Cayman, 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had these on my RWD 228i and found them to be very reassuring. I've seen other cars slip (presumably on an ice patch), yet had no issues when I reached that part of the road. They're noisy, but I don't think they were noisier than my MPSS in the summer.

I'm hopeful that I'll get my winter wheel setup squared away before we see snow in Portland. Just ordered some wheels for my BRZ to mount the Contis on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Bonesaw View Post
Got the first good snow today. Continental winter contact Si 225/45/17. After having them on for a couple weeks and a couple snows I am pretty happy with them. They make a lot of noise, especially above 70mph, but in dry are defiantly better with traction than the stock primacy’s. Snow traction is great, we got about 4 inches today and I haven’t had any issue on hills or turns. The only time I’ve lost traction was when I wanted to, or obviously would. I got a terrific deal on the tires so with that considered I couldn’t have done better. Had I paid full price for them I’d still be satisfied. For reference my previous car was a fiesta st that I ran 185/60/15 general Altimax arctic in winter.
neilr is offline   Reply With Quote