follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM   #15
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
WTF???

Well, on the bright side, Calty also deigned the last gen Celica, which was a pretty hot design, so it's not as if this will be a fugly turd...

Looking forward to seeing this thing already...
Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
Holiday Auto is a Japanese car mag that, much like Best Car Magazine, often reports made up rumors. However, these mags do get their scoops right every once in a while. i personally am not thrilled about the idea and hope they release it as close to the concept as possible.

ps: calty is also the studio that designed the last gen celica. their designs are hit and miss at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
say it ain't so!!!

that overhang would be the biggest turn-off to me compared to the Tokyo concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
Eww, a higher profile with increased overhang. Just eww. Granted, we'll need to see how it officially comes out but damn, the concept was perfect. No need to change it.

ED2 design for the win. I'll wait and see what Calty has to offer, but so far I think the ED2 design is perfect as is (It even draws heavily on Calty's FT-HS design). That outline is not confidence inspiring.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #17
casualsurfer

Drives: 2006 Porsche Cayman S
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
Kenji

Drives: RX8
I have my doubts about this being true. I mean why would Toyota go to all the trouble and cost to put out a physical concept car based on the ED2 design, have it very well received, only to kill the design and go with another one?

Wouldn't they have already gone through this design selection process before putting any FT-86 concept car out there? If true though, what they did was completely backwards.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #19
DrunkenMime

Drives: IS300
everybody keeps saying they hope they keep it as close to the concept design as possible but already we have two DIFFERENT concepts: the one from the european arm and the G-sport which has totally different front end body work. Which concept are you talking about?? There are supposed to be two different concepts we haven't even seen yet so i don't think everyone should begin tying themselves to just one idea yet. It's WAY too early in development. This thing will change quite a bit I'm guessing....
Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #20
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
WTF???

Well, on the bright side, Calty also deigned the last gen Celica, which was a pretty hot design, so it's not as if this will be a fugly turd...

Looking forward to seeing this thing already...
i hated the last gen celica look lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMime View Post
everybody keeps saying they hope they keep it as close to the concept design as possible but already we have two DIFFERENT concepts: the one from the european arm and the G-sport which has totally different front end body work. Which concept are you talking about?? There are supposed to be two different concepts we haven't even seen yet so i don't think everyone should begin tying themselves to just one idea yet. It's WAY too early in development. This thing will change quite a bit I'm guessing....
The G sport isn't that big of a difference from the standard FT86. Not only that, it's labeled at "G-Sport". They weren't saying that concept would be labeled as the standard Ft86. This rumor however is saying the standard Ft86 is being changed from the original plan.

I'm hoping the production doesn't come out anywhere near the way that picture looks. The front bumper makes it look like an eclipse.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #21
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
I'm not so crazy about all this but will see, I'm not closing the door yet on the FT86 as far as I know calty designed the FT-HS concept, venza and the scion chassis

here is the FT-HS back in 2008
http://www.notcot.com/archives/2008/...as_calty_d.php
http://www.core77.com/blog/business/...ning_11167.asp
more concept
http://www.notcot.com/archives/2008/...a_calty_de.php
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #22
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gost View Post
i hated the last gen celica look lol.
same here that thing is butt ugly.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #23
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Soooo...nothings changed.

No news on rescending making it a light weight, RWD coupe.

/shrug

Thats all that matters to me.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #24
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
I posted this today on 3 different sites. It sounds like the majority of people familiar with the magazine this is sourced from are saying this could very well be a hoax. There's even a guy on one of the sites that thinks he may be able to get some inside info, he apparently knows some people that work inside toyota. It's probably the fact that I love the Euro design so much, but I just can't accept that they would show the euro design, then show a G-sport of the euro design, get rave reviews for both, make a GT5 video with a working model of the euro design(not to mention GT5 won't be out until the end of '10), and then yank the thing. It sounds like there may be more to this. As soon as I find out anything else I will post it here. Stay tuned to this thread, because this news has all 4 sites I go to, buzzing on the verge of death threats...(ha, ha)

Last edited by Nemesis; 02-09-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
Franisco

Drives: D31a
Don't f this like throttlegate
Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #26
Axel

Drives: '13 BRZ
We could live with frozen throttles and brake software reliability problems... but if Toyota releases an ugly FT-86 when they have this beautiful EDē design...

I think I'd wait for a new Silvia!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #27
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
i wish their is a way to vote what the potential owners will like, but hope nemisis is right just a bad hoax
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #28
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
Latest....

OK, The guy I told you guys about before that apparently has decent connections at one of the studios and email connections with someone at another gave me this update. I believe he is a reporter of some kind in Japan, he has posted very reliable info thus far. Anyway, here it is(keep in mind I am not putting his name here as I did not get his permission to do so):

So I did talk to someone inside the industry and who would probably know the answer. Ofcourse he cannot tell me but what he did say is that...

Quote:
Just remember the FT-86 was still called a “concept” meaning that nothing is set in stone. ED2 and Calty are the two design studios outside of TMC that are responsible for advanced concepts. They compete for designs all the time. This car is no different I’d imagine. Anyway, makes for some great anticipation, huh?
Once again I can't say who but they do build concepts for CALTY many of which I am sure you have seen So looks like we have to wait in anticipation till the finally product comes near. Sucks as I do lack patience... ;(

BTW I did also email one of the designers from ED2 but I doubt I will get any info. I will keep you posted if I do!

Closed Thread

Tags
ft-86, ft-86 forum, ft-86 info, toyota ft-86