follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Agreed, Hi Spec is better than the Std Spec, hence the price variance. (And its not much, reasonable). But the core reason you would be buy this vehicle is not for leather seats or cruise control....if you want the BEST of that...get a 3 series BMW, or C Class...etc

If you want a INCREDIBLE driving experience. Get a Hachiroku. Hi or Low. You will SMILE with either.

(And if you get a Low spec, use the R30k price variance to get a performance exhaust, intake and rims). Which would be more value to me than cruise control or leather seats.

But each to their own.

Lets not start a Low Spec Vs High Spec war here. :-D
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #16
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_86_SM_GP View Post
Lets not start a Low Spec Vs High Spec war here.
Why not? We haven't had a good battle here for a while... LOL

On a more serious note - looking at sav's list, the only thing I really miss is the digital speedo.
Sav said "Analogue speedometer is not the easiest to read quickly" - how polite. What a gentleman and a scholar he is.
It's actually a total POS that's worse than useless.

I use an old Android phone, ELM327 and Torque Pro for a digital speedo and oil temp gauge.
Not a great solution, but it's OK for me.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #17
KapteinBos

Drives: Toyota 86, Pearl White, Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds3ire View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. im not sure how to put in a thanks yet.
I dont mind either one. The reason im open to paying a bit more for the high spec is the cruise control as i regularly travel over 400 km. And who doesnt want enlightening HID's.

The valuations are a bit on the low side but thats what my budget will allow me. Ive seen std(race) specs for 225k and 230 k but none in white. Will keep looking. If i can haggle Kapteinbos down by 10k then maybe i will take his. Thanks for the link. And please keep an eye out for any other offers.

P.S. im in KZN but i will go anywhere for her...
sent you a pm. please let me know asap as time is running out and she will soon retail for R260k or more at a Toyota dealer...
KapteinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #18
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post

On a more serious note - looking at sav's list, the only thing I really miss is the digital speedo.
Sav said "Analogue speedometer is not the easiest to read quickly" - how polite. What a gentleman and a scholar he is.

I use an old Android phone, ELM327 and Torque Pro for a digital speedo and oil temp gauge.
For interest you can exchange the cluster to a high spec.
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan86 For This Useful Post:
Fish Eagle (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
Ds3ire

Drives: Toyota 86
Theres some amazing information here. Thanks guys for all the responses. I think sav has made a good case. Theres a lot more stuff there for 30k(new). For me the most appealing is the cruise control as i just find it a chore to keep hovering around 120kph for the entire trip between JHB and Durban and the way back. I do travel almost once a month so this feature will make life a lot easier.

Hopefully i can find a hi spec for around 260k.
Somebody please find me a car that i can get into!!!
Ds3ire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Alang

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0 Std.
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
LOL, sorry but no - race spec would be the one with the bigger and better brakes, shift light and those kinda RACE goodies...HIGH SPEC FTW!!!
Race drivers don't need flashy lights to tell them when to shift, they use something called instinct!!!
Also not sure if a bum warmer or cruise control can be considered race goodies?
On a happier and more unbelievable note did @Ryan86 just agree with you??? What the hell is going on here is it 1 April?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #21
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post

LOL, see I can be PC and nice when needs be.

Seriously though, they should at least have added the digital speedometer as standard. Look at the BRZ - std spec cluster with the digital speedometer if I'm not mistaken. Or maybe it was the FRS?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #22
Ds3ire

Drives: Toyota 86
Quote:
1) Black 86's - I had my sights set on a white 86, but ended up getting a STD Black Hachiroku - The colour has grown on me and I do not regret it for a single day. My little batmobile. Women also like the black sports car vibe I cannot complain
Enjoy

Howzit bro,

Did you buy yourself a 2nd hand 86?
What did you pay for it?

I was wondering if the 2nd hand ones available are those that are messed up, by frantic driving, and the guys are getting rid of them. Its a sports car so that was my first impression. And who would want to get rid of one of these beauties besides the practicality issue? So i was just wondering how you did your research to ensure that you got one in prime condition.

Just fears of ending up with a tortured soul of a car...
Ds3ire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alang View Post
Race drivers don't need flashy lights to tell them when to shift, they use something called instinct!!!
Also not sure if a bum warmer or cruise control can be considered race goodies?
On a happier and more unbelievable note did @Ryan86 just agree with you??? What the hell is going on here is it 1 April?
ROTFLOL!! Sometimes you just can't argue against facts.

I do agree though, you will enjoy both, it's also about what you're used to. Coming from a Citi Golf, std spec would obviously be great - folding mirrors and electric windows FTW!! But for me it would have been a step down and as they say - onwards and upwards!

Good thing we get different specs - different needs for different breeds, I love my race spec 86.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #24
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Quote:

(And if you get a Low spec, use the R30k price variance to get a performance exhaust, intake and rims).
BTW
That is assuming he's buying cash. Unless you could somehow convince the dealer to add a performance exhaust, intake and rims to the finance package.

If it's going to be financed then the difference is going to be a couple hundred bucks/month.
The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:
FT_86_SM_GP (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #25
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Howzit bro,

What did you pay for it?

I was wondering if the 2nd hand ones available are those that are messed up, by frantic driving, and the guys are getting rid of them. Its a sports car so that was my first impression. And who would want to get rid of one of these beauties besides the practicality issue? So i was just wondering how you did your research to ensure that you got one in prime condition.

I understand your concerns. And that was the reason I went for a Std Spec. ( I was also paranoid to an extent)

I managed to get it from Gateway Toyota, it was used my a sales manager for 1 year, hence being a demo model with 6000km on the clock,PLUS, I have a relative that works for Toyota Gateway (New Cars Sales Manager), and it was his buddy that drove it, so I had piece of mind. I paid R257,000 on the road. This also included extending the warrenty for an extra 3 years.
(This price was also negotiated with the principle dealer)

(-Moral of the story- Demo model - Dealership that you trust - Extend warrenty)

I think having a warrenty on these cars are important. I am still an articles clerk, so when I start earning real money, I plan on also extending the service plan.

Before I bought my car, I viewed allot of 86's in JHB, and to be honest if you want a showroom condition Hi Spec, be prepared to pay +-R300k
(I could not afford this)

I did view a Red High Spec at Toyota in the South of JHB, it if I can remember it was advertised for approx R270k, - The bumper had work done on it(Touch ups), scratches on the rims, tires were burnt on the edges(Signs of drifting), dents on the roof, and signs of a fork lift that damaged the metal on the underneath of the car. The dealer said they will sort all issues out. But even if they gave me that car for R257k, I would have still chosen my current Std spec in the condition that I picked it up.

So forgoing showroom condition, is an opportunity cost for the High Spec.

Unless you increase your budget to R300k for a High spec, your scenario is: (Remainging at your R260k budget)

(Showroom condition Std Spec) Vs ('Handled' High Spec with +30,000km mileage)

Im sure you had a look in the following websites:

Theres a few red high specs that are looking worthwhile for R285k, which would turn out to cost around R290k on the road.
http://www.autotrader.co.za/makemode...tude=-26.05447

http://www.gumtree.co.za/s-toyota+86/v1q0p1

http://www.carfind.co.za/showroom.aspx
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #26
Vic_RSA
The voice of reason...

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 6MT Standard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The eternal battle rages on!

We will always support the one we bought. But one plus that Alang will agree with is the std model's heater works a treat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
ROTFLOL!! Sometimes you just can't argue against facts.

I do agree though, you will enjoy both, it's also about what you're used to. Coming from a Citi Golf, std spec would obviously be great - folding mirrors and electric windows FTW!! But for me it would have been a step down and as they say - onwards and upwards!

Good thing we get different specs - different needs for different breeds, I love my race spec 86.
Vic_RSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #27
Freedom

Drives: PEARL WHITE GT86 TRD
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Howzit bro,

What did you pay for it?

I wouldn't worry about hard driving for this car, it was made for it (unless it has been driven into a wall or taken 4x4ing on farm roads ). Just ask the guys that have super chargers .
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #28
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_RSA View Post
The eternal battle rages on!

We will always support the one we bought. But one plus that Alang will agree with is the std model's heater works a treat!
Who needs a heater, we barely have winters in SA.