follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
norsamerican

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tansey86 View Post
You just have to search for more narrow wheels. People who put such narrow tires on wide wheels are just....silly(being nice about it) A 265 belongs on a 9.5, not a 245. I dont understand why people feel the need to add more weight by buying an unnecessarily wide wheel.

For this car and what most people want out of it, a 245 or even a 255 tire out back will be all you need for sufficient grip, while people doing higher hp builds will find more use out of a wider tire.

We share the same bolt pattern as wrx's and early sti's and given that they are AWD do not need wide tires. There are several narrow wheels for narrow tires out there in this bolt pattern if thats what you are looking for. It all comes down to that, what you want.
Dont forget about forged wheels. Lots of people purchase wider wheels that weigh the same or even less than stock.
norsamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm running 225s on a 7in. wheel (dw on motegi traklites)
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #31
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Wider wheel, wider contact patch. Proven to be faster (in most cases), given identical cars and tires.

Stretching out of spec not included of course.
Yeah, after thinking about this for the last couple of years any time i'm ready to buy wheels and tires.. I think i finally see the logic.

Though I would tend to say it a little differently.. I think the static contact patch would probably be the same with 235 on 8" as it would with 235 on 9"... but under cornering load i think the 235 on 9" would be larger.. at least that is what the kindergarten physics model in my brain is telling me