follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Another Nexus 7 install: Clean and Easy

Hey everyone. I know there have been a few installs with the nexus 7, but I wanted to create a new one that entailed the following:

1) A stock look
2) I did not want to hack any metal bars
3) I wanted as many things as possible to be handled by the nexus 7 as possible

I will add more pictures later.

The following build requires the following parts:

1) First Generation Nexus 7 with Timur’s USB rom: approximately $130 or less

Your Nexus 7 needs to be rooted and flashed with the rom found here:
http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

Note: As of the writing of this post the Nexus 2013 does not support timur’s USBrom, and timur has declined porting this rom to the new nexus. There is hope though that someone else will continue his work.

UPDATE: Timur has a new kernal for the new Nexus 7 but it requires a donation before you can download it. Or you can wait until May for the public release.

2) JVC KD-x50bt head unit cost: $90
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006B1C88Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i05?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: JVC Bluetooth In-Dash Digital Media Receiver with Dual USB Ports: Car Electronics[/ame]

The reason I liked this head unit is that it had good sound quality with two usb outs. You can technically choose any head unit you like, but you will not see it so keep that in mind. Also you may want to look at the SONY x3100bt. This unit could be controlled by the nexus 7, but requires a button press on the head unit to sync with the nexus 7 (worthless in my opinion) hopefully a future iteration fixes this.

3) 2 amp usb charger to cigarette lighter (Needs to be 2 amps) $9
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00622AG6S/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: PowerGen 2.4Amps / 12W Dual USB Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices - White: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

4) Mini to mini headphone cable $4.00 or less
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G7O1PI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: StarTech.com MU3MMSRA 3 feet Slim 3.5mm to Right Angle Stereo Audio Cable - M/M: Electronics[/ame]

5) USB audio dac $7.00
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D69U1B0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Sabrent Usb 2.0 Virtual External 2.1 Surround Sound Adapter USB-AUDD: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

This was the cheapest usb dac I could find. This device carries high quality audio signals from the nexus 7 to the head unit. The sound quality is fantastic, and blows Bluetooth away.

6) Antenna wiring harness $12.99
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VYWSES/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Metra 40-LX11 Lexus Antenna Adaptor Cable 2002-Up: Car Electronics[/ame]

7) Speaker and power wiring harness $5.53
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEQJ8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i06?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Car Electronics[/ame]

8) Micro OTG y cable $7.98
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAC1ZW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i07?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Micro USB Host OTG Cable with Micro USB Power for Nexus 7 Galaxy S III & Galaxy Nexus: Electronics[/ame]

This cable allows you to connect a usb device to the nexus 7, and power the nexus at the same time. This is one of many special features that Timur’s USB rom contains. (Also you can connect a usb hub to the cable and run multiple devices.)

9) Metra dash kit $9.97
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K52CY2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i08?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Metra 95-8202 Toyota DDIN Multi Dash Kit: Electronics[/ame]

This kit allows me to cover the edges of the nexus so that there are no gaps on either side.

10) USB wiring harness $12.99
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAYYQDO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Axxess by Metra AX-TOYUSB USB Adaptor to Retain the OE USB in Select Toyota/Lexus Vehicles: Car Electronics[/ame]

This harness allows you to utilize the stock usb port. You can either run this to the radio, the dual port usb charger or a usb hub.

11) Bluetooth ODB2 reader $24 bucks
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]BAFX Products (TM) - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

You can go cheaper then this, but the reviews are great on this one, and I have no issues.

There are many posts about removing the head unit etc, but the only difference between my install and many others is that I am hiding my head unit behind the nexus 7.

1) When wiring your wiring harnesses to you after market radio make sure two special considerations are handled.
a. The antenna harness has a blue wire that needs to be spliced with the power antenna wire on the after market harness.
b. The orange black wire on the wiring harness from metra does not need to be used.

2) Connect the antenna wires and after market harness to the aftermarket radio.

3) Run the wire for where you want your microphone. (I chose the steering column since the oem location is noisy.

4) Connect the usb harness to the stock usb harness (grey connector). I ran this connector to my nexus 7 hub so that I use my phone as an internet hotspot.

5) Connect usb charger in glovebox cigarette lighter and utilize the nexus’s micro usb cord for power from the usb charger to where the nexus will be.

6) You need to remove the factory brackets off the stock radio, and set them up anyway you can so that the head unit is pushed as far back as possible. My head unit ended up being in an angle, but that didn’t affect anything.

7) Before doing anything else set the source to auxiliary input, setup your Bluetooth for your phone to the head unit, and set the volume to 30.

8) Connect USB OTG cable to nexus 7. Attach usb dac to the y cable and power to the y cable as well.

9) Connect mini headphone plug from usb dac to auxillary in on the head unit.

10) The nexus 7 fits fairly well in the dash trim piece found on the BRZ and FRS. I just needed to remove/trim the top connector to give more space for the nexus.

11) Cut/dremel one side of the metra dash kit so that the mounting portion is cut off.

12) Glue/Tape whatever you want. This trimmed piece onto the dash trim.

13) I used foam around my nexus to offer a little more protection to the unit, and as a happy consequence locked my nexus in place on the dash headu nit trim. (You don’t need this step, as the nexus is pretty much locked into position once installed.)

14) Installing the nexus into the trim is just about holding in place while you push the trim into the dash. Make sure you keep the nexus in a position where the metra dash kit is covering any gaps.

15) Sit back grab a beer and enjoy your work.

A few things of note:

Timur’s Rom included a lot of neat features. One is standby mode. When my car turns off the nexus goes into a super low power mode, so as not to drain the battery. When I turn on the car the nexus wakes up, and everything is back to normal.

When I get a call the head unit switches to the call, and then after the call switches back to my music.

I am not using my head unit behind the nexus for music or radio, but rather I utilize spotify and apps for local radio.

I use a hotspot from my phone to connect to the Internet.

I am using the torque app to connect to the Bluetooth odb2 adapter. This reads and sends car diagnostics to the tablet while I am driving.

Holy crap this thing is awesome. I’ll be adding pictures later, to help others with their installs.
Attached Images

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel

Last edited by Sojhinn; 02-10-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
asher187 (11-08-2013), blackfireball5 (04-15-2014), CARNZ (11-10-2013), Choco (12-26-2014), CxG (04-01-2017), DAEMANO (11-08-2013), DarrenDriven (12-17-2014), ducks (04-16-2014), ike44 (11-09-2013), jimmillion (04-04-2015), Namuna (02-10-2014), normancw (11-08-2013), PineappleFriedRice (11-08-2013), quality_sound (11-21-2014), styl3z (02-16-2014), ts87 (04-19-2014), vaderbloke (03-09-2016), waterbison777 (11-08-2013), WRXGuy1 (04-22-2014)
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
PineappleFriedRice
Truuu

Drives: 2013 FRS, 88 EF Civic, 05 Matrix
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wish I would've known about the metra dash trim kit...would've saved so much time over doing fiberglass work...

GARRET .60 TRIM-UEL HEADERS-1150cc INJECTORS-DW FUEL PUMP-RACESENG CAM PLATE-PERRIN 3" CATBACK-ULTIMATE RACING 2.75 OP/FP-FBM CATCHCAN-SINGER 275AMP ALTERNATOR-MEGAN TRACK COILS-MEGAN F/R STRUTBARS-AXLE EXCHANGE ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT-ACT 6 PUCK-ANARCHY MOTIVE SHIFTKNOB-XXR 535-HANKOOK VENTUS EVO V2-CS LIP KIT
Build Thread - FA20FAIL Archive
PineappleFriedRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineappleFriedRice View Post
I wish I would've known about the metra dash trim kit...would've saved so much time over doing fiberglass work...
Yeah I was trying to avoid that. Figured 12 bucks was worth a shot and it came out great.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
ike44

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Any way you can get a better pic of how you utilized the dash kit? I have a piece of black cloth covering the sides of my gaps and I am curious what yours looks like in better light.
ike44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike44 View Post
Any way you can get a better pic of how you utilized the dash kit? I have a piece of black cloth covering the sides of my gaps and I am curious what yours looks like in better light.
Yeah. I can do that tomorrow. But basically from the driver side it looks flush with the nexus. Where as from the passenger side there's about an 1/8 in gap between the piece and the front of the nexus. You can't see behind the install though at all.

I was thinking about adding a hinge to the trim piece so I could flip it open and utilize the remote. I'll update if I do that mod.

Installed Mods:
Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Ammonia

Drives: Whiteout FRS, Audi A4, 135i (sold)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
So if you want to say, add a tune, you can just unplug the Bluetooth OBDII adaptor and do your flash, and then put it back? The BT OBD reader stays plugged in all the time for real-time updates right?
Ammonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
So if you want to say, add a tune, you can just unplug the Bluetooth OBDII adaptor and do your flash, and then put it back? The BT OBD reader stays plugged in all the time for real-time updates right?
Yup!

Installed Mods:
Old 11-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike44 View Post
Here are some more pictures. I modified my install a little further. For those that are more adventurous.

When cutting the metra dash trim pieces cut them so that the visible side of the plastic will be flush with the dash. I epoxied these pieces onto the dash and it came out great. No more gap!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384039962.253326.jpg
Views: 18144
Size:  245.8 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384039998.469824.jpg
Views: 19726
Size:  106.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384040029.069995.jpg
Views: 22073
Size:  119.7 KB

Installed Mods:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (11-09-2013), ike44 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Oh and by the way. Don't use super glue. This plastic does not like it. I learned that the hard way.

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
glorydays (12-13-2013)
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Brought this to the front since a few people were asking about this install recently.

Installed Mods:
Old 02-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
In regards to the Timur ROM...

Here's the link if you want to read-up on what's been happening as far as updates or others' updates to the functionality of the Timur ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2469140

And more specifically, the link to the info about the Timur ROM for N7 2013 (Due for release in May 2014, you can join the BETA program now for a donation fee):
https://timur.mobi/timurs-kernel-n7-2013/
Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
dz93

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
im a complete noob when it comes to wiring and well, anything cars.
so i just have a couple questions to clear this up for me cause i cant wrap my head
around your setup...

the nexus audio is connected to the hidden head unit
which is connected to the speakers amplifiers.

1)so whatever sound the tablet makes it goes through the head unit>amps> then speakers.
2)is your music stored on your nexus or streamed via bluetooth
3)can you plug a usb with music stored on it into this setup
4)is streaming music from smartphone to nexus even possible
4)could a rear view camera be connected in this set up easily
5)what usb ports are available to plug into
6)as for navigation, maps etc. does this require constant internet connection?

sorry for all the questions, i had read this thread before but didnt understand it. i had a moment where i think i understand it more and turns out this might be what i have been looking for all along.

Thankyou and amazing work!!!
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #13
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Another Nexus 7 install: Clean and Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post
im a complete noob when it comes to wiring and well, anything cars.
so i just have a couple questions to clear this up for me cause i cant wrap my head
around your setup...

the nexus audio is connected to the hidden head unit
which is connected to the speakers amplifiers.

1)so whatever sound the tablet makes it goes through the head unit>amps> then speakers.
2)is your music stored on your nexus or streamed via bluetooth
3)can you plug a usb with music stored on it into this setup
4)is streaming music from smartphone to nexus even possible
4)could a rear view camera be connected in this set up easily
5)what usb ports are available to plug into
6)as for navigation, maps etc. does this require constant internet connection?

sorry for all the questions, i had read this thread before but didnt understand it. i had a moment where i think i understand it more and turns out this might be what i have been looking for all along.

Thankyou and amazing work!!!

I'll try to do my best...

1) yes all music goes through the nexus 7 to the head unit to the amp and speakers

2) I store my music on my nexus 7

3) with timurs rim you can add an external usb or hard drive to use with your nexus

4 a) you can stream to the head unit with your phone through the bluetooth to the head unit if you are so inclined

4b) I haven't tried but I heard of someone who did setup a webcam with it. Not sure how well it worked.

5) I have 1 usb available right now but you can connect a hub to it.

6) I use my phones hotspot for an internet connection when I use google maps on the nexus 7. There are ways to download areas of maps with google maps and the nexus 7.

Keep asking questions!

Installed Mods:
Old 03-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post

4b) I haven't tried but I heard of someone who did setup a webcam with it. Not sure how well it worked.

Keep asking questions!
I've got the same issue with my N7 build. I think the easiest solution would be to use a rear view mirror that accepts the camera input. Trying to make it play nice with the tablet looks like too much of a pain.