follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2022, 05:29 PM   #617
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
god, they look so fragile

how would they hold up in the winter time?

are they even designed for prolonged exposure to the elements without cleaning? Maybe put on a ruber-condom type thing on the fronts for harsh winters?

yes i winter drive my car, cuz i'm a badass.
Ohlins at Scandinavian and supply great dampers for Yamaha snowmobiles.
Winter survival is the least of your worries.
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:30 PM   #618
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
god, they look so fragile

how would they hold up in the winter time?

are they even designed for prolonged exposure to the elements without cleaning? Maybe put on a ruber-condom type thing on the fronts for harsh winters?

yes i winter drive my car, cuz i'm a badass.
Ohlins are Scandinavian and supply great dampers for Yamaha snowmobiles.
Winter survival is the least of your worries.
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #619
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's less winter/temperatures, that are aggressive to shocks. It's roadsalt that is commonly used on roads, that may ask for more more resistant shock finish. Thus not sure, if snowmobiles are right thing for argument, as they simply drive on clean snow, not on salted tarmac. At least cars last much longer without rust/corrosion in areas where they don't use road salt in winter.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (10-17-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 01:11 AM   #620
Lucky21
vroooooooom

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-JDM View Post
I installed my Ohlins this past weekend. I ended up not leaving well enough alone and ordered 5k Swift springs for the rear and used the 4k that came with the Ohlins up front. I got some new Pedders tophats off the forum.

I set the pre-load on all four per the instructions while watching the final four on Sat. And got them all installed on Sunday.

Ride height wise I ended up at exactly what the 4k instructions said in the front. 349mm (23") from fender lip to wheel centerline. The instructions from Ohlins are written differently for the 5k, they don't give the overall target. Just what the drop should be. I was already lowered and don't know what stock ride height was. I ended up at 597mm (23.5").

My car has whiteline end-links and TRD bars. I used the 10mm spacers up front. I did hear a knocking or something, not sure yet, need to inspect. Everything should be tight and the end-links were in good shape and not worn out or loose when I had it apart. It may not even be sway bar related, but I heard it when the suspension cycled in compression more so than rebound.

First drive, the car is so much better now. My alignment is obviously off, but not enough that I can't drive it around town to let it settle. I noticed one of the front springs popping when I was parking. Should I have slathered some anti-seize on the spring seats? Or do people live with it? Or will it stop?

TIA for any additional info.
Hi, I have trd lowering springs and stock shocks as well and I just picked up a set of mp20s. Is there really a huge difference in ride comfort compared to the trd springs?
Lucky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:09 AM   #621
NJ-JDM

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky21 View Post
Hi, I have trd lowering springs and stock shocks as well and I just picked up a set of mp20s. Is there really a huge difference in ride comfort compared to the trd springs?
I just bought my car back in Dec. For the most part the comfort side of the TRDs was fine, around town, smoother roads. But if my stock dampers were original at 84k miles, then they were having a tough time "controlling" the spring. The car never bottomed out or scraped, but it you hit a bridge transition on the interstate the rear in some cases would crash and bottom out on the bump stops. And then pogo back up. You could tell something wasn't right.

I've had Koni yellows on an FD RX7 and NA Miata with stock springs. And stock dampers with progressive Eibachs on a Fox body and a BRZ. Without a doubt the high end Ohlins with a decent set of springs matched to their valving range are better for sure.

I hit an even bigger bridge transition at 78mph the first longer drive out with the Ohlins, it went over it with no drama at all.
Lucky21 (04-28-2022)
Old 06-03-2022, 11:10 PM   #622
Lucky21
vroooooooom

Got the MP20 kit installed and my ride seems pretty bouncy in the street. I followed the recommended pre load in the user manual and have tried various damping settings. Is there anything I can do about this?
Old 06-04-2022, 10:47 AM   #623
grumpysnapper

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Got the MP20 kit installed and my ride seems pretty bouncy in the street. I followed the recommended pre load in the user manual and have tried various damping settings. Is there anything I can do about this?
Definately shouldnt feel "bouncy", good dampers should ideally make your car feel more "settled" on the road.

If you are able to find a local trusted suspension guy, a little bit of money/time with them tuning your suspension will be worth every cent.

Good luck (and they are a great choice in damper, I loved mine)
grumpysnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:26 AM   #624
marco_mc22

Drives: Toyota 86
Quote:
Define bouncing…anyway using 6kg springs might “fix” the rear lack of travel but still delivers you too high frequencies for a road car, 5kg is the maximum in my opinion.
How many clicks? Ride height?
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:29 AM   #625
Lucky21
vroooooooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpysnapper View Post
Definately shouldnt feel "bouncy", good dampers should ideally make your car feel more "settled" on the road.

If you are able to find a local trusted suspension guy, a little bit of money/time with them tuning your suspension will be worth every cent.

Good luck (and they are a great choice in damper, I loved mine)
The person who installed the coilover insisted that we should follow the recommended pre load in the manual resulting in the poor ride quality.He claimed adjusting it incorrectly would result in a blown damper.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:30 AM   #626
Lucky21
vroooooooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
Define bouncing…anyway using 6kg springs might “fix” the rear lack of travel but still delivers you too high frequencies for a road car, 5kg is the maximum in my opinion.
How many clicks? Ride height?
i currently have 12 clicks on mine as it is the most acceptable ride so far but still bouncy. Ride height is about an inch drop.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:32 AM   #627
Lucky21
vroooooooom

Quote:
i currently have 12 clicks on mine as it is the most acceptable ride so far but still bouncy. Ride height is about an inch drop.
Just to update this car rides fine now, the coilovers was rebuilt improperly and the recommended preload was too bouncy for our roads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucky21 For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (07-04-2022), new2subaru (07-04-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:27 AM   #628
RacingredGR86

Drives: 2022 GR86
@Lucky21 - what spring rates are you running on your R&Ts? I'm considering going with Ohlins and wanted to get some info from current users. Thnx
RacingredGR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 05:16 AM   #629
ffh2303

Drives: BRZ 2013
Quote:
Just to update this car rides fine now, the coilovers was rebuilt improperly and the recommended preload was too bouncy for our roads.
Hi, can you share the preload settings you used?
ffh2303 is offline   Reply With Quote