follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What do you foresee for future FR-S models?

2014 2015?

As far as options.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
For stock, I hope it stays the same with the exception of fixing the little bugs (crickets, water, CEL, etc.). No need to add more weight to the base car.

I would like to see more options available ie fog lights, HIDs, leather, etc.

IMO no need for more power with the exception of making it an option (To keep the price point). The car is (arguably) fast enough as it is. Those serious enough will be doing their own upgrades anyways.

And anyways, I already got one. Whatever Toyota decides will just make me more jealous
Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
IMO no need for more power with the exception of making it an option (To keep the price point). The car is (arguably) fast enough as it is. Those serious enough will be doing their own upgrades anyways.

And anyways, I already got one. Whatever Toyota decides will just make me more jealous
I don't know why people always say this. It's as if they think voiding a factory warranty is no big deal. People that want more power might always still want that factory warranty.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I don't know why people always say this. It's as if they think voiding a factory warranty is no big deal. People that want more power might always still want that factory warranty.
The issue is that Toyota must balance longevity and power. Can they release the car with more power? Of course. But doing so can decrease the engine life and in turn also increase more potential under-warranty repairs. It is a risk analysis and only Toyota knows all that data. Keeping the price down and the horsepower numbers conservative is a happy balance for everyone.

Note that I am fine with it as an option, just not standard.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
foglights for sure. Probably will have brake packages and exhaust packages availible like most of the scion line up. maybe a few years down the road HID will be a dealer option too because of their growing popularity
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Umairk89

Drives: Scion Frs Firestorm,
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How about a stock turbo?? HId lights fog lights better speakers and headunit. More storage space. Just a few of the top of my head
2013 Scion Frs, Trd Exaust, Trd Intake, 30/5/20% Tint, 12" Kicker l7 sub and Orion 2500d Competiton Amp w Pioneer double din headunit, Interior-Trunk-Reverse-High beam all upgraded LEDs, Carbon Fiber steering wheel trim, shift knob trim, door handles, air vents
Umairk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
FRSfan111
Sideways and smiling!

Drives: First 86 FRS 5/8/2012 (second US)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umairk89 View Post
How about a stock turbo?? HId lights fog lights better speakers and headunit. More storage space. Just a few of the top of my head
That's a wish list, not what any1 really expects besides head unit lol.
Although we all wish toyota would do FI!
FRSfan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Umairk89

Drives: Scion Frs Firestorm,
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSfan111 View Post
That's a wish list, not what any1 really expects besides head unit lol.
Although we all wish toyota would do FI!
It does kinda sound like a wish list but turbos are not that much of a big deal these days. It can happen just not sure when.. as for the headunit they have to do something when I bought my new frs the sound was horrible and speakers are OK.. I upgraded headunit and it sounds much better with the stock amp and door speakers off
2013 Scion Frs, Trd Exaust, Trd Intake, 30/5/20% Tint, 12" Kicker l7 sub and Orion 2500d Competiton Amp w Pioneer double din headunit, Interior-Trunk-Reverse-High beam all upgraded LEDs, Carbon Fiber steering wheel trim, shift knob trim, door handles, air vents
Umairk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
chickdigger802

Drives: 1997 Geo Prizm
fr-s? Not much. it's still a scion, so 1 trim 4 life. Ditch the stand audio box for something better (which they are doing this year). Replace speedo with some other gauges of more use.

A sun roof? Idk... Maybe redesign the backseats in someway to make them more usable without affecting anything else?
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
2Brnt2BRZ

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ premium
How about a Flex Fuel E85 Ethanol option?
2Brnt2BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2Brnt2BRZ For This Useful Post:
enouf (05-14-2013), Sonolin (05-13-2013), Tujin (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #11
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Do you think they can squeeze anymore HP out of this engine?

My lease is up May 2015. I was hoping to get another FR-S.......one that had

1) Leather seats.
2) A body Kit
3) 235 HP?

I might buy my next one. The reason I leased was I was expecting the year 3 or 4 car to be kind of different than year one.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
Shim
Dismember

Drives: FR-S & JSW
Wish list:
1. Mr. Fusion
2. hover conversion
3. fog lights (safety feature)
4. E85 flex fuel (power)
5. supercharger (power)
6. Electrochromic tint (cool/cool)
7. Side markers to blink with headlights, just like JDM (safety feature)

Last edited by Shim; 05-16-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Shim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shim For This Useful Post:
Joeprelude (05-16-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umairk89 View Post
It does kinda sound like a wish list but turbos are not that much of a big deal these days. It can happen just not sure when.. as for the headunit they have to do something when I bought my new frs the sound was horrible and speakers are OK.. I upgraded headunit and it sounds much better with the stock amp and door speakers off
Creating an FI version is an expensive endeavor, maybe some industry insiders can give some hard numbers but I'd venture to say the r&d/regulation/separate testing of the kit may not provide a significant enough return of investment for a what may be a relatively small pool of buyers. You're already pandering to small audience with a $25k driver focused eco car; making it $30k with a turbo is an even smaller demographic. Plus Subaru runs the problem of cannibalizing sales due to the new WRX which would cost less and offer AWD. It isn't like an aftermarket kit to just bolt on the turbo with a tune and go; crash safety standards need to be met, *engine longevity, hot/cold temperatures, abuse, supplier contracts, etc. Not to mention the allure of the green culture; KERS style super capacitors helping meet better CAFE standards et al.

Do I want them to offer FI? Sure! But I want them even more to focus on creating the best Toyobaru as simply as possible and get the most out of their investment into it. After they've done that, they should go nuts! :happy0180:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
The issue is that Toyota must balance longevity and power. Can they release the car with more power? Of course. But doing so can decrease the engine life and in turn also increase more potential under-warranty repairs. It is a risk analysis and only Toyota knows all that data. Keeping the price down and the horsepower numbers conservative is a happy balance for everyone.

Note that I am fine with it as an option, just not standard.
Piggybacking off my point above - I do believe Toyota can turn out a 230 hp version of this engine without seeing drastic decrease in longevity. There are folks here that have cracked the 200whp (~240 crank hp) mark with breathing mods and a tune alone. And to no offense to any of the fantastic tuners; Toyota has WAAAAAAAAAAY more resources at their disposal to create a bulletproof package*. I won't bring up hp/liter argument because I acknowledge it's case by case but without a doubt the current 200 hp is a rightfully conservative mark. Now, offering two output versions is rare (although VW is doing with the GTI in Europe but doesn't look that'll be the case here in the States) because of some points mentioned above. It doesn't make sense to go through all the testing twice. With that said, extra power doesn't hurt - I could see incremental (10hp) bumps every 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlewistan View Post
foglights for sure. Probably will have brake packages and exhaust packages availible like most of the scion line up. maybe a few years down the road HID will be a dealer option too because of their growing popularity
And this is what I really like and hope takes off more [springs, struts, brakes, bars, etc.]. I don't mind paying more of the cost to get the car Toyota can build. Should they offer this from the get-go? Yeah, probably. But it's a business to make a profit and I get that. I'm strangely attracted to the idea of building up an all TRD'd out FR-S!

I can't help but wonder if the Toyobaru will suffer the same fate as the Mazdaspeed Miata. Folks will clamor for a factory FI version for years, Toyota will go against their judgement & cave in and build it, and then it's met with ho-hum results only to be axed 2 years later. I doubt this will be the case but who knows.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #14
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I see Scion folding back into Toyota, making the FR-S become the Toyota GT-86 and the introduction of the trim levels and options for future models.

Well, in my dreams anyway. Toyota would probably axe the car altogether when Scion folds, with our luck.