follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #141
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by engee View Post
THIS!!!

0.92 g on skidpad with Michelin Primacy HP 215/45-17.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Primacy+HP

Throw on some good tires and !
Just one more reason I wish the stock wheels were 16in. Would be able to save money on tires and be lighter in the process.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #142
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
What an awesome post! Thanks!

Just can't wait!
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #143
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Just one more reason I wish the stock wheels were 16in. Would be able to save money on tires and be lighter in the process.
Yea man. I already know of a light set of 17's I would pick up for the car though and a nice set of rubber. Hopefully reduce unsprung weight by 10 lbs per wheel with the difference between the stock wheels and lightweight wheels.

If 16's fit on this car, I would be in heaven!
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #144
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaveup View Post
That's fine. Stock tires, I get it. But given the price, you would think they wouldn't cheap out on tires no?
What the hell tires do you want on this thing?

these tires are STANDARD OEM TOYOTA PERFORMANCE TIRES!
Are they subpar for a performance tire? Yeah probably.
Are they horrible? No not really.

I bet you anything that when they were considering tire choice, they just looked in the parts bin catalog between Toyota and Subaru and said, hey these are PROBABLY the cheapest, highest performing tires we have available so we'll just toss these on.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #145
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seems like some people were expecting nitrogen filled michelin pilot super sport tires?

Toyota has said repeatedly - this car is a reaction to high power, turbo charged cars with wide sticky rubber. They wanted a car that needed none of those things to have fun. Mission accomplished.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #146
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Too bad there isn't a way to tag users as bench racers...

Quote:
I don't care who you are really, when you're trying to merge onto the highway and get overtaken by a camry that was behind you, your "sports car" won't seem so sporty.
Oh noes, some moron who bought an overpowered (but soul-less) FWD sedan is punching it. Whatever will I do?

My lowly '99 Miata (0-60 in 7.9-8.5 sec) has accelerated fast enough for every traffic situation I've been in (interstate or otherwise). The FT86's 0-60 in 6.4-7.3 sec will be plenty quick.

Quote:
Not to mention, those handling numbers, aren't that great really. All i hear people talk about is how good these cars are supposed to handle this and that, well, 69.1-mph slalom speed and 0.92g on a skidpad is a NICE handling car, it's just not as AMAZING as people seem to be making it.
I disagree whole heartedly. A 69.1 slalom and 0.92 skidpad on low-rolling-resistance tires is impressive (and better than I expected). More to the point is that, like the Miata, this car isn't about numbers. It's about predictability, responsiveness, toss-ability, smooth transitions (between below and above the limit), and driver involvement at a reasonable price.

Quote:
That's fine. Stock tires, I get it. But given the price, you would think they wouldn't cheap out on tires no?
They didn't.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #147
gaveup

Drives: 2010 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fanatic View Post
Seems like some people were expecting nitrogen filled michelin pilot super sport tires?

Toyota has said repeatedly - this car is a reaction to high power, turbo charged cars with wide sticky rubber. They wanted a car that needed none of those things to have fun. Mission accomplished.
Except when ever johnny drifter gets behind the wheel and puts these cars into a wall. I think the whole allowing you to break the rear lose is a cop out.

A performance car should be fitted with performance tires, or at least properly fit sizes.
gaveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #148
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

A Camry V6 can embarass a lot of cars BTW......

When your average family appliance has 270hp and does 0-60 in the low 6's and possibly breaking into the 5's, you know the horsepower wars doesnt hold alot of weight anymore.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #149
86fanatic

Quote:
Except when ever johnny drifter gets behind the wheel and puts these cars into a wall. I think the whole allowing you to break the rear lose is a cop out.

A performance car should be fitted with performance tires, or at least properly fit sizes.
All reviews so far say the car is very controllable. It's not about allowing you to break the car loose, it's that the car has an appropriate tire for the power, weight, and chassis of the car.

By comparison the S2000 came with Bridgestone Potenza S-02 tires, and plenty of people got into trouble with them, because they lacked the control-ability and steering feel of the FRS/BRZ.

No one is talking about drifting here.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #150
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Let me ask you, in regards to the frs/brz, how many of these cars will see a track? I'm going to guess 30% MAYBE? I'm just guessing here, but I see this car being a normal street car for the huge majority of owners, so they will have at least a little fun on the street. Does this mean 0-120mph sprints at every light? Of course not (although, I can see some people doing this..which in that case it's a good thing it'll take a year to get to 120mph).

I don't care who you are really, when you're trying to merge onto the highway and get overtaken by a camry that was behind you, your "sports car" won't seem so sporty.

Not to mention, those handling numbers, aren't that great really. All i hear people talk about is how good these cars are supposed to handle this and that, well, 69.1-mph slalom speed and 0.92g on a skidpad is a NICE handling car, it's just not as AMAZING as people seem to be making it.

The car, to me, is like the gencoupe when it came out. Had all the right potential to be a great car, but the few things it is lacking holds it back. That's 100% personally my opinion for what *I* want in a car.
Well then... I think you're more geared for a muscle car and there's nothing wrong with that. I don’t plan on leaving the BRZ stock forever, but someday I’ll add more power, adequate power I should say. And I confidently would eat a camry at the track, just saying, but that’s not the point. Anyway do you plan on modding or doing some work under the hood of your car or just stay stock, which is if you decide to buy the BRZ/FRS or any car of that matter?
If I wanted to I can go out right now and just be like anyone else and go for a big boat car or something high end that’s not really fun. I've been in various amount of cars to have an idea what will be fun and so far the BRZ sounds about right in the direction I'm leaning towards for.
And I guess I’ll leave the other repliers to your comment on handling since they are itching to take some people here and myself to school.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #151
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Man I wish Subaru would have put some RE92's on this thing.

(the abs would light up WAY too easily with those on my WRX! Strangely, the RE92A's that replaced them were worlds better.)

Can't wait to see what this car feels like stock vs UHP tires. That said, I will put about 4k miles/yr on the car, so I might not find out personally for a decade!
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #152
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Quote:

I dunno about you, but if some guy wants to overtake me on the highway, i let them overtake. You're probbaly thinking about the jackholes who just speed up as fast as they can past everyone to get to the front of the line. They can do wahtever the hell they want, i dont want any part of it.

So if you were driving down the highway in your lambo, cruising at the speed limit, and some **** in a Camry zooms past you ricer flyby style, do you get all raged up and zoom past HIM To 'put him in his place'?
Old 03-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #153
86fanatic

gaveup be trolling. No one seriously interested in this car would care about a Camry of all things being faster. Enjoy your muscle cars, they aren't for everyone and neither is the 86.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #154
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Suprised @Camry comment. It's usually about some SUV/Minivan.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote