follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #141
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Not sure I am seeing the problem here. Sounds like the funds for two vehicles are in place. So a sensible family car and the FRS for you and the occasional trip for you and junior when the Mama is somewhere else.

Worked for me when my daughter arrived; first ten years she was shuttled around in my Miata. This June I took her to the prom with her friends..
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #142
midnightfrolic

Drives: Scion FRS A/T raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
sorry to hear OP. I had planned this a while back in case we were to have a child.

We would get a 4door sedan first, THEN a sporty car. She wanted a sports car first. A BMW Z4 no less! But I knew it'd be tough to taxi a child and car seat around. Especially since she cannot lift worth a darn. LOL. We ended up with a nice Acura TSX, then came the FRS....in the same year.

Keep the FRS with mods and get an affordable 4door banger to putt around like a Nissan Versa or even a Chevy Spark! Both are fuel efficient enough. You'll regret ever having to part with the FRS, I assure you. I am kicking myself for not letting her get the Z4 now. LOL. But maybe in a few years. She plans to trade it in for a new BMW Z4.
midnightfrolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #143
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The reality is that unless you are a midget compared to your 5'11" wife, a rear facing car seat does not fit in the FR-S. Once they flip around to forward facing, it works. I have 2 carseats in the back of mine. Fortunately, I am vertically challenged at 5'6" and my youngest fits behind me. My wife is even more vertically challenged at 4'11" and my eldest fits behind her. Once they get a little bigger and they move into booster seats, they will actually fit better. When my daughter was born, I made a decision to switch from my Acura RSX to a Corolla XRS. I now have since replaced the Corolla with the FR-S. Getting over the initial hurdle for about 2-3 years is the hard part. I have the additional advantage of my wife's car which has grown from Mazda Protege 5 to become Mazda 5 (aka the miniature minivan) and now we have a Sienna SE (aka the swagger wagon). Anytime we need space we have always had her car and my car has always been the smaller of the two (especially now). Congrats on your future son/daughter.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #144
2013GTRNate

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
This is very good advice in the post quoted below.

To the OP: A little sacrifice now will go a long way later with you and your wife. I am hoping that you guys can find a workable solution that doesn't require selling the FR-S since you have found a way to make it unique and you stand to lose some cash...

But if you value your marriage you need to do what is right for both of you. I have been married for over 12 years and my wife and I have never made a large financial decision without the others buy in. This has served us well and I now have my dream car shown in my avatar and will have a BRZ Limited as a DD. Sacrifices made while you are young will pay massively when you get older.

BTW, Never take marital advice from a single guy. If you listen to all of these single guys you will end up single again. When I was single I had a similar lack of marital knowledge and lacked an ability to see it.

Best wishes,

To bad you cannot screw yourself out of this, lol... Nice title for your thread.:happy0180:

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraLove View Post

In all seriousness, I really, REALLY beg you to keep the car. I've never had a sports car in my life, but I still love my four door family sedan simply because I've put effort into it and it's my first car.

Women just won't understand men's relationship with their vehicles. For some women, it's just like "Oh, I LOVE MY CAR because it looks SO CUUUTEEE *giggle*". But that is not a man's relationship with his car. A man will put a lot of effort into making the car unique, fast, and while doing so develops a material relationship. Most women will never understand that because they don't do ANYTHING to their cars except add bumper stickers. There are exceptions, of course – *cough*mako*cough*sayuki*cough*

Sell the bodykit and put that money towards a used Civic Si sedan. You will have saved up enough by the time your child needs a bigger car. It will be a hassle, but for all it's worth, I don't think you'll mind.

Please try to keep it. I'd hate to see a beauty like yours go to some ricer teenager. Do whatever you have to keep it, but remember this: Your wife is far more important than a car. Cars and other material items can come and go, but making your wife happy should be priority number ONE. Never forget that.
2013GTRNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #145
killa.sushi.robot

Drives: 12 Sienna Se, FR-S Asphalt 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM0315 View Post
Dude, I get the line all the time at work (I sell Toyota/Scions)...then I take them out and show them my FR-S fully loaded with car seat, wifes junk in passenger seat and an I <3 Boobies sticker on the back window. They all just smile. In fact, I use it as my family car now for grocery shopping, trips to the beach (just got back two hours ago from that), and just for riding. I know these are irrelevant in your fight, but I also own a Camry and we as a family elect to ride in my car...LOL. Good luck bro - your car is sick!
Works for me too, my work is like a fat and furious between all the sport bikes and imports. They make fun of my baby car seat all the time.
killa.sushi.robot is offline   Reply With Quote