follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #561
Mickeyt86

Drives: FR-S Asphalt M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
So I got my tail lights replaced last Thursday, and whadaya know? condensation this morning. E-mailed the dealer some pics and asked about getting another replacement and got this reply:
So I guess we can all stop complaining now since this is "normal" and only come back when our lights are little fish bowls...
This was my exact experience. It is not normal and the lights are NOT vented. I called Scion and they assured me that it will get fixed eventually.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #562
frsinpa

Drives: fr-s!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
So I got my tail lights replaced last Thursday, and whadaya know? condensation this morning. E-mailed the dealer some pics and asked about getting another replacement and got this reply:
Quote:
HELLO BRYAN, WE RECENTLY GOT YOUR EMAIL FOR YOUR LIGHTS AND BEFORE WE ORDERED THEM WE HAD TO CONTACT SUBARU. WE SENT OVER THE PICTURES YOU SENT US AND THEY SAY THIS IS A NORMAL CONDITION FOR LIGHTS. WE WERE TOLD THAT CONDENSATION IS NORMAL AND ONLY TO REPLACE LIGHTS IF WATER IS FILLING UP IN TAIL LIGHTS. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE BUT WE ARE NOT ABLE TO REPLACE YOUR TAIL LIGHTS FOR CONDENSATION ONLY. THEY ARE NOT A SEALED UNIT AND HAVE VENTS TO ALLOW CONDENSATION TO EVAPORATE WHEN BRAKE LIGHTS ARE USED. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS FEEL FREE TO EMAIL US BACK OR CALL US THANKS.
So I guess we can all stop complaining now since this is "normal" and only come back when our lights are little fish bowls...
wow.. that might be the most ridiculous e-mail response i've ever read. absurd.

somehow the tail lights are vented so that condensation can evaporate when brake lights are used? LOL... wow. just wow.
frsinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #563
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsinpa View Post
wow.. that might be the most ridiculous e-mail response i've ever read. absurd.

somehow the tail lights are vented so that condensation can evaporate when brake lights are used? LOL... wow. just wow.
I heard of blinker fluid, didn't know there was brake light fluid though...

Maybe ask him if he will top it up for you when you get an oil change.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #564
frsinpa

Drives: fr-s!
Quote:
Originally Posted by #87 View Post
I heard of blinker fluid, didn't know there was brake light fluid though...

Maybe ask him if he will top it up for you when you get an oil change.
Haha exactly... next time I would ask him "hey would you mind checking my break light fluid level? i just want to be sure there's enough ventilation and that everything is looking alright! "
frsinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #565
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFrsFan View Post
Yep bc this Thursday they're giving me a rental car and they told me they can over night new tails and get them Friday.
Thanks I contacted Scion yesterday and have a case manager looking into it. I think 2+ months is a little excessive to be waiting for my car to be repaired, especially since it wont start right away in cold weather (wouldn't start yeterday at all until it warmed up a little).
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #566
chutrain

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Going in on Saturday to have both of mine swapped out. Driver's side has a nice little pool, and the only one that they noted when I went in for an oil change originally. The passenger side started developing and I called them up to have them order the other side, and they agreed to do it for me since I had to drive a distance. Hopefully it all works out.

Now it's the DRL starting to develop condensation...

Do we know the exact location the moisture is getting in?
2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #444/500 (For Sale)
2013 Subaru BRZ WRB Limited - Acquired 9/15/12
chutrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #567
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutrain View Post
Do we know the exact location the moisture is getting in?
My money's on the foam gasket being a poor seal between the tail and body. Which then lets in water into the bulb sockets which are not sealed/airtight. I would like to hear an update from @wdninja who fashioned his own gasket, wonder if that has helped keep the water out.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #568
wdninja

Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMok View Post
My money's on the foam gasket being a poor seal between the tail and body. Which then lets in water into the bulb sockets which are not sealed/airtight. I would like to hear an update from @wdninja who fashioned his own gasket, wonder if that has helped keep the water out.
I posted a follow up earlier (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=664992), but here's more:

In my experience, making my own gasket fixed it. I still have my original stock tail lights (which were previously filling with water) that are no longer showing any signs of condensation or fogging whatsoever. Even my Colin tail lights were taking on condensation with the stock gaskets, but I made a set for the Colins too and they're also no longer showing any further signs of condensation. My testing involved 3 car washes and 4 straight days of heavy rain.

I have enough foam left to make a few more sets of gaskets for either the stock tail lights or the Colins. PM me if you're interested. I already sent one set out to another member.
PMok (01-30-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #569
Bluebeautie

Drives: Scion FR-S, Hot Lava, AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just had my Taillights changed last week under warranty due to condensation in both.
Bluebeautie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #570
bergyb

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS AT
I just keep telling myself that the condensation adds horsepower. It allows me to sleep at night.
bergyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #571
Siberian Husky

Drives: 72 240z
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post
I posted a follow up earlier (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=664992), but here's more:

In my experience, making my own gasket fixed it. I still have my original stock tail lights (which were previously filling with water) that are no longer showing any signs of condensation or fogging whatsoever. Even my Colin tail lights were taking on condensation with the stock gaskets, but I made a set for the Colins too and they're also no longer showing any further signs of condensation. My testing involved 3 car washes and 4 straight days of heavy rain.

I have enough foam left to make a few more sets of gaskets for either the stock tail lights or the Colins. PM me if you're interested. I already sent one set out to another member.
are you considering selling and distributing these?
Siberian Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #572
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post

sell the fix to Toyota. they'll mass produce for u, we all get a fix, u get rewarded. win win for everybody.
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #573
Hotsaucze

Drives: FR-S firestorm
Took mines back to dealership, no hassle, they will swap out the rear lights with new housing in a week I was going to take pictures and carry it on if I didn't get those defective lights replaced.
Hotsaucze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #574
wdninja

Drives: 2023 Toyota GR86 Premium
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
sell the fix to Toyota. they'll mass produce for u, we all get a fix, u get rewarded. win win for everybody.
Ha, if only it were that easy! I've left posts on the scion.com forum and I've sent e-mails. I'm supposed to talk to an engineer sometime this week. They can engineer a car with certain engine tolerances in the microns, but they make a tail light gasket out of basically a sponge and scotch tape - I just don't get it. Gotta cut corners somewhere I suppose.