follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #85
Xti

Drives: Fast, Cool, New
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do you get fun in a Lexus IS-F sport ? I just don't get it at all. I mean even with that Automatic downshift...it thrust like shit every-time you down-shift to enter a corner.

In my 15 STI, manually downshift is silky and creamy smooth, that all you can hear is the raised RPM + Boxer Rumble from rev-match and the freaking Excellent Acceleration. After you have learned your engine torque band and clutch point.

Now, that is fun, the awesomeness of heel and toes, or simply rev-match downshift, and clutch control + engine brake prior to corners, and accelerate out of it is mind-blowing.

If you want a half and half Luxury+Sport. Then you go for IS-F. But what is sport in an automatic ? listening to music while cruising ?
Xti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xti For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-26-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #86
FRSjeff

Drives: FR-S (red manual)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
This is exactly the logic that causes people to get stuck living paycheck to paycheck. Look, if you can afford a $40k car, you can probably pay your student loans off in 6 months or less. I paid $30k in loans off in under 2 years and I certainly can't afford a $40k car. The less interest you pay every month, the more money you will have to spend on things you want (mods, gas, trips, etc). You will also have better credit, and therefore will pay less interest on everything you borrow money for in the future.

So let's say you buy the Lexus tomorrow and your income allows you to just barely make payments for both the car and the student loans. You take out a 6 year loan on the lexus and let's assume you have 10 years left on your student loans. Let's say you're paying 6% on all of your loans for argument sake. With this model, you are going to pay $8,381 of interest by the time both loans are paid off.

Now let's say you take my advice and pay off your student loans first by putting the money you would be spending on the Lexus towards your student loans. Then, once those are paid off next November, you buy the Lexus and again borrow $40k. We'll assume interest on both is again 6%, even though it would likely be lower for the Lexus now that you're debt free. So now that you have the Lexus, you put the money you were spending on student loans towards the Lexus. When the car is paid off, you will have spent $5,262 on interest and both loans will be paid off completely over a year earlier.

By being patient, you have just saved yourself $3,118 in interest alone. If you're willing to put a bit more towards paying off your debts (I paid $1500 a month towards my student loans, for example), these numbers skew in favor of waiting on the car even more heavily.

Also, during the time you drive your current car (assuming you wait to buy something), you will save money on gas (most likely), insurance, tax, and maintenance (most likely), and depreciation that you could put towards paying off your student loans, which should also be factored in. These things will save you even more money in the long run.

You're probably sitting there justifying all of this interest payment in your mind. Don't. Take $20 out of your pocket and light it on fire. Watch it until it's completely gone. Think about all of the things you could have just spent that $20 on that you now can't. This is exactly what paying interest is. Think before you spend money you haven't earned. You'll find you have a lot more money than you think.

(For more motivation to be smart with your money, click here)
There is a powerful concept called leverage.

Also, you are possibly wrong about the credit score; an appropriate mix of available credit, current debt and type of debt (among other things) optimize one's credit score.
FRSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #87
FRSjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xti View Post
How do you get fun in a Lexus IS-F sport ? I just don't get it at all. I mean even with that Automatic downshift...it thrust like shit every-time you down-shift to enter a corner.

In my 15 STI, manually downshift is silky and creamy smooth, that all you can hear is the raised RPM + Boxer Rumble from rev-match and the freaking Excellent Acceleration. After you have learned your engine torque band and clutch point.

Now, that is fun, the awesomeness of heel and toes, or simply rev-match downshift, and clutch control + engine brake prior to corners, and accelerate out of it is mind-blowing.

If you want a half and half Luxury+Sport. Then you go for IS-F. But what is sport in an automatic ? listening to music while cruising ?
Yeah, truth be told---I suppose I prefer a luxury/sport mix. Owning the FR-S has shown me that. Also, I'm not ridding my FR-S because of its fun-to-drive attributes; I'm ridding it because of its problems. Being middle-aged might be some of the reason too. Lol.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #88
Scenic Driver

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 Audi TTQ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfrs View Post
its a real sports car, its not made to warm your ass and make sure that your awake at the wheel or tell you that there is someone in the lane next to you.
The seat heaters in my BRZ warm my ass quite nicely
Old 08-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #89
Xti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Driver View Post
ROFLMAO
Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #90
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSjeff View Post
There is a powerful concept called leverage.

Also, you are possibly wrong about the credit score; an appropriate mix of available credit, current debt and type of debt (among other things) optimize one's credit score.
I assumed paying off your loans early would improve your credit by improving your debt to income ratio. Looks like it's more complicated than that. My apologies.

As far as leverage goes, if you think either of these cars will appreciate, I'd love to sell you a car some time
Old 08-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #91
FRSjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
I assumed paying off your loans early would improve your credit by improving your debt to income ratio. Looks like it's more complicated than that. My apologies.

As far as leverage goes, if you think either of these cars will appreciate, I'd love to sell you a car some time
No, these cars will not appreciate. Nor will just about all other cars.

Leverage involves more than appreciation of a certain asset. It allows freedom to spend money on other things that "add value;" including quality of life. And a nice car certainly increases quality of life (for me.) Now, I agree this shouldn't be done to an extent that causes problems down the road. Risk is involved and balance should definitely be exercised.
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSjeff For This Useful Post:
xxBrun0xx (08-15-2014)
Old 08-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #92
sweetfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scenic Driver View Post
i gotta try my friends lol i wonder if bra seat would work in the frs
sweetfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #93
_j_anthony
Daily Driven Expert

Drives: FR-S Monogram(BLACK)
I'd buy the lexus, better car overall. The only reason to buy the frs is to have fun. The frs will not hold its value as well as the lexus either.
I Need MO' Low
_j_anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #94
Xti

Lexus doesn't hold up much as you think it would
Old 08-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #95
johnnyfast11

Drives: none yet
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
when you get ths IS350 you will regret that you didn't get an FRS.

I think that sums it up.
johnnyfast11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:02 PM   #96
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I've driven the last gen Lexus IS and it was such an awful car to drive (close 2nd to the Yaris being the worst driving experience ever), I wanted out of there after only 20 mins behind the wheel.

If this generation Lexus IS drives anywhere close to a comparable VW/Audi then Toyota has really stepped up its game.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #97
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xti View Post
Lexus doesn't hold up much as you think it would
Compared to what?

This is an odd thread. Not comparing apples to apples. Four door luxury "sport" sedan or a cheap sports car.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #98
PhoKingCool

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosoku View Post
This is an odd thread. Not comparing apples to apples. Four door luxury "sport" sedan or a cheap sports car.
The majority of the threads created in this portion of the forum are irrelevant and solely exist for pointless debates.
PhoKingCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhoKingCool For This Useful Post:
kosoku (08-25-2014)