follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Key fob lock/unlock doesn't always work (not dead batteries)

Hoping someone here might have some insight as to what is causing this issue for me...

The symptoms are simple, sometimes the car doesn't respond to the keyfob buttons at all. Lock/unlock/trunk/panic, nothing works. After pushing lots of buttons, eventually it works. Usually what works best is pressing the last button that was used prior to now (so unlocking it responds faster to lock), but that could just be in my head.

I've tried both keys, the second key has never been used but behaves the same. I've tried new batteries in both, no change. When it is responding I get great range (150-200 feet easily), even with the original batteries.

Once it starts to respond everything works great.

My guess is that for some reason the car doesn't understand the signal/encryption from the fob, but I really don't know how complicated that communication is, or if it could even fail like that.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by wparsons; 06-07-2016 at 10:48 AM.
wparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #2
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yeah I have nothing... Sorry! I was thinking it was perhaps the car's own battery, but I would imagine you'd have more issues than the key fob.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does the problem happen at a particular location like at home ? possibly some interfering transmitting device in area ?
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Freetime

Drives: Raven Manual FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
my guess is, you are keeping the keys somewhere that the buttons are being pushed frequently when you are away from the car. When this happens, you usually have to hit it quite a few times for it to catch up.
Freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Had this issue before, hopefully this help

1, put key in ignition.
2, turn it all the way without starting engine, (dont turn on any other things like headlight or ac,etc if they're ON turn it OFF before starting)
3, let it sit for about 5 second.
4, start the car and let it sit for 5-10 min, if it's cold start give it 15.
5, turn I off engine, test key by standing a few feet away.

Repeat a few time if it does not work first time
If it does work every time you get in your car follow step two before ignition.
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Does the problem happen at a particular location like at home ? possibly some interfering transmitting device in area ?
Nope, it happens pretty much everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetime View Post
my guess is, you are keeping the keys somewhere that the buttons are being pushed frequently when you are away from the car. When this happens, you usually have to hit it quite a few times for it to catch up.
I'll keep an eye out for that, but it happens every morning after the keys have been sitting on a shelf without buttons being pushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
Had this issue before, hopefully this help

1, put key in ignition.
2, turn it all the way without starting engine, (dont turn on any other things like headlight or ac,etc if they're ON turn it OFF before starting)
3, let it sit for about 5 second.
4, start the car and let it sit for 5-10 min, if it's cold start give it 15.
5, turn I off engine, test key by standing a few feet away.

Repeat a few time if it does not work first time
If it does work every time you get in your car follow step two before ignition.

I'll give that a shot, but since the key eventually works without starting it I'm not sure if that'll do much.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Hoping someone here might have some insight as to what is causing this issue for me...

The symptoms are simple, sometimes the car doesn't respond to the keyfob buttons at all. Lock/unlock/trunk/panic, nothing works. After pushing lots of buttons, eventually it works. Usually what works best is pressing the last button that was used prior to now (so unlocking it responds faster to lock), but that could just be in my head.

I've tried both keys, the second key has never been used but behaves the same. I've tried new batteries in both, no change. When it is responding I get great range (150-200 feet easily), even with the original batteries.

Once it starts to respond everything works great.

My guess is that for some reason the car doesn't understand the signal/encryption from the fob, but I really don't know how complicated that communication is, or if it could even fail like that.

Any thoughts?
I've had this issue trying to unlock
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #8
turtlefeeder

When this happened to me lock unlock and trunk will/will not work randomly but panic button still is functional also I notice when dome light is on auto and you open the door when remote still not working, dome light won't work either, if you have this same exact symptom than keep in mind my previous reply to this post. Had no problem after doing the whole procedure since than I started doing the turn key to "on" than wait for 5 sec till ignition, and key still working fine, no more issues from than on
The Following User Says Thank You to turtlefeeder For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #9
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
When this happened to me lock unlock and trunk will/will not work randomly but panic button still is functional also I notice when dome light is on auto and you open the door when remote still not working, dome light won't work either, if you have this same exact symptom than keep in mind my previous reply to this post. Had no problem after doing the whole procedure since than I started doing the turn key to "on" than wait for 5 sec till ignition, and key still working fine, no more issues from than on
So... open it with the key instead of waiting for it to respond to the fob? I'll give that a shot tonight.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
turtlefeeder

yeah, whatever it takes to get in the car first lol. if the fob is already working just use step 2 before any later ignitions. fob should stay working. keep us posted
Old 06-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
wparsons

Garage
Tried that, even with the fob not working the dome light comes on. I always turn the car to on for a few seconds (until the tach has swept and the fuel gauge has moved) before starting it, so I wasn't too hopeful about that doing much. To be safe, I left it "on" before starting it for a good minute but no change.

I did notice something interesting though... if I press a button on the remote FAR from the car (like right now, car is many km's away) the little red light flashes. If I'm close to the car and the fob isn't working the light doesn't flash (tested in a dark garage last night), but as soon as it starts responding the light works again.

Not sure if it's a red herring or not... but the behaviour was consistent with both fobs.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have a range issue with mine. You literally have to be standing about 2' or less from the car for it to work. Does it with both key fobs and one new replacement fob the dealer got me with new batteries. Gave up after 4 trips to the dealer and the issue not being resolved.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
wparsons

Garage
It's not a range issue, when it's working it works 150-200 feet away. When it's not working, it doesn't work sitting in the drivers seat (key out of the ignition).
Old 07-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #14
wparsons

Garage
Bump this back up... anyone else have any suggestions?

It seems to be getting worse, I haven't had it work right away once in a couple weeks now. I'm going to try re-programming the fobs to the car, but I don't have much hope for that since they do work eventually.