follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
speedy racer

Drives: 92 lexus sc300 > whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Found 2 dents on driver`s top fender after getting service for CEL SL

• Its been a month since I had my FRS repaired for VVTI and ECM. I noticed 2 small dings on top of fender. Its hard to see if you look down on it, but looking at it from side its noticeable. I drove it to dealer to let them have a look. Service manager said its been a month since I had the car serviced and they are not responsible for damages. I argued that my car was at his shop for 40 days and its obvious the mechanic must have dinged it working on cams. He told me it could have happened in parking lot which I argued it would not be on top of my fender. I thought my CEL SL ordeal was done. Manager told me he would give me answer today. This is why I hate taking car to dealer for service.

Last edited by speedy racer; 11-27-2012 at 08:58 PM.
speedy racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
I hate taking my car in as well. I had them replace my rear tail light and they must have driven the hell out of it. There was ABSOLUTELY no need for them to drive two miles after installing a new light. On top of that, during that same distance, they also killed my mileage my 0.5 mpg with 270 miles on the trip computer. While that doesn't sound like much, it has to do with them just driving the hell out of it. Really irks me to do anything at the dealership, Scion is such a shit car, too bad it can't be taken care of by lexus or something.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
DBacon1052

Drives: Argento FR-S
Garage
Ya, I cringe a little when I need to take the car in. My dealer put a dent in the top of my trunk when putting a new taillight in.

Unfortunately, I will have to take my car in again for my 3rd taillight replacement on Friday.
DBacon1052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
See if you can get a quote from a paintless dent removal place, then take that to your dealership. Probably $80-120 to get those out.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBacon1052 View Post
Ya, I cringe a little when I need to take the car in. My dealer put a dent in the top of my trunk when putting a new taillight in.

Unfortunately, I will have to take my car in again for my 3rd taillight replacement on Friday.
+1, I cringe each time also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
See if you can get a quote from a paintless dent removal place, then take that to your dealership. Probably $80-120 to get those out.
Yes... Although the dealer would likely opt to use their in-house dent guy to save some costs... That quote should push them towards a decision, hopefully.

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 11-27-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Minor edit : )
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitterSkotter View Post
I hate taking my car in as well. I had them replace my rear tail light and they must have driven the hell out of it. There was ABSOLUTELY no need for them to drive two miles after installing a new light. On top of that, during that same distance, they also killed my mileage my 0.5 mpg with 270 miles on the trip computer. While that doesn't sound like much, it has to do with them just driving the hell out of it. Really irks me to do anything at the dealership, Scion is such a shit car, too bad it can't be taken care of by lexus or something.
when you only have 270 miles on your mpg avg, sitting in one spot will KILL your average mpgs, sit in you car while it idles for like 10 minutes and see them tick away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy racer View Post
  • Its been a month since I had my FRS repaired for VVTI and ECM. I noticed 2 small dings on top of fender. Its hard to see if you look down on it, but looking at it from side its noticeable. I drove it to dealer to let them have a look. Service manager said its been a month since I had the car serviced and they are not responsible for damages. I argued that my car was at his shop for 40 days and its obvious the mechanic must have dinged it working on cams. He told me it could have happened in parking which I argued it would not be on top of my fender. I thought my CEL SL ordeal was done. Manager told me he would give me answer today. This is why I hate taking car to dealer for service.
the front fenders dent if you lean on them, i did this to mine already.... :/

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a small rock chip on top of my passenger fender. Heard the rock hit on the highway and saw it when I got out. Are you sure your dings aren't from rocks?

I always hate taking vehicles in for service...they use those mats that cover the fender and I swear they do more harm than good. I had so many scratches after they replaced my Jeep's radiator...fortunately they came out with detailing.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
speedy racer

Drives: 92 lexus sc300 > whiteout MT FRS
Update: Dealer came thru and got dent wizard to repair dings. Dent Wizard does amazing work. Manager still deny any responsibility said never use fender guards which I find hard to believe. Guys if you take your car for service video tape car condition and inspect thoroughly before leaving dealership.

Last edited by speedy racer; 11-27-2012 at 04:12 PM.
speedy racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
My dealer had my car for 1 day and managed to put a huge scratch on the trunk lid. When I asked how it happened, they said it was there already.

I asked the shop manager,

"Are dealership service personnel trained to never take responsibility for mistakes?"

He told me that if they accepted responsibility for all the problems people had they would be out of business.

Over the years I have been told, basically any problem with the cars I have owned mechanically were my fault in some way. Moral of the story, like anything in life you care about you need a lot of patience when things go wrong.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
I really hope this helps everyone that reads this:

TAKE TIMESTAMPED PHOTOS OF YOUR CAR BEFORE TAKING IT IN FOR SUBSTANTIAL WORK DONE.

I know it seems like a lot of hassle, but having several friends and family go through this, it pays. The difference is them paying you, or you walking out pissed off with a damaged car.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
In their defense, it has been a month...even if it was one week you'd be shit outta luck. Anytime you bring a vehicle that you are going to be anal about(I am too with new cars), you must inspect it immediately before and after service.

You could even go so far as to politely point out that the car is pristine and you would like to ask them to be extra careful. Just mentioning this suggests the car is currently free of damage. Better yet, bring the service guy to look and confirm with you, it should only take 1-2 minutes, and have them note it.

Stuff like that you generally have about 1 day before you're entering "extremely nice dealership" territory. Having a botched oil change however, you get much more time.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #12
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
OR this approach while commendable,can BACKFIRE too! it depends
on the dealership. to the point,IF you go out of your way to mention the car
is pristine,they MAY take it upon them selves to NOT make it pristine when you go
to retrieve it again! granted,this shouldn't happen,but i don't personally believe a LOT
of 'em care 2 sh**s about anyones car,so i would NOT tell 'em anything,just try to keep the car visual while it's there if you can!
you can take the position that they damaged your car,but remember! the burden of proof lies with YOU!
if you,or someone else did NOT see them damage your car,you have no case!."absence of malice"
if you cannot prove the damage happened at the dealership,and as frustrating as it may be,THAT is exactly WHAT they will say,
it didn't happen there. just sayin'
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote