follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #29
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadormi5 View Post
That's a very good philosophy but I just can't apply it to me. The only real track day experience available to me is hours away and requires membership. Autocross is something I'd love to do but that's only during the summer seasons. A nice auto with a "manual mode" will suffice for me.

I get what you're saying though. When I am financially fit to have two cars, the fun car I take to the track will 100% be stick.

Back to the OT subject. If the FT86 comes with ONLY auto, it's going to cause global riot.
LOL, believe me, this car will have 2 choices of transmissions like most sportcars out there.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #30
djohnson

Drives: 1996 RAV4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The only place most cars will not have a manual option is in the US. Most of the cars in the states that are auto only have manual options in every other country in the world. This is just what I have seen, may not be 100% accurate, but many people in the states have become too lazy to even consider using a stick shift.
djohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #31
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Quote:
That's a very good philosophy but I just can't apply it to me. The only real track day experience available to me is hours away and requires membership. Autocross is something I'd love to do but that's only during the summer seasons. A nice auto with a "manual mode" will suffice for me.

I get what you're saying though. When I am financially fit to have two cars, the fun car I take to the track will 100% be stick.

Back to the OT subject. If the FT86 comes with ONLY auto, it's going to cause global riot.
100% what I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
LOL, believe me, this car will have 2 choices of transmissions like most sportcars out there.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #32
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Would you prefer mechanical unassisted steering because having power steering makes it easier to turn the wheel?

ABS? various traction controls? How about carbon ceramic brakes, you want to pass on those because they makes stopping easier and more effective?

limited slip difs, fancy suspension set-ups, engine management computers etc etc. all make driving faster easier.

A good performance autobox (like DSG, PDK, SST) has better performance without any of the drawbacks. Why wouldn't one want that besides it's less connected to the driver. It's a matter of choice.

If you like driving manual more then good for you. Nothing wrong with that.
Twin or auto clutches are moderately acceptable performance-wise. My point is more along the lines that "If you need THIS car to be an automatic, and commuting is going to be its primary role in life (to the point that it affects your transmission choice, seriously...) then why get it? There are better commuting alternatives. Cheap, fun, sporty can be filled by the Scion tC by those that feel they need an auto. They won't be realizing the difference...

Along those lines, was there an automatic S2000? No. People that wanted a sporty Honda had other options. Same here. Part of the automatic issue, is that if people don't bother to learn stick, can they be trusted with a a dynamic RWD car? Chances are if they can't be bothered to learn stick, they can't be trusted with a responsive car that handles the limit quite differently than the typical appliance.

That means either stick only (S2000) or aggressive traction and stability control and possibly 'safe' suspension geometry.

And in the interest of full disclosure my daily is an automatic AWD Legacy. However my Supra has been over time been 'purified', ABS and power-steering are gone. Traction control is my foot.

The FT-86 will follow a similar progression to purity. It will start off stock, and as time goes, get closer and closer to its natural enlightened state. But it's better to start closer to the final goal than further.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #33
matadormi5

Drives: GTI MK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Twin or auto clutches are moderately acceptable performance-wise. My point is more along the lines that "If you need THIS car to be an automatic, and commuting is going to be its primary role in life (to the point that it affects your transmission choice, seriously...) then why get it? There are better commuting alternatives. Cheap, fun, sporty can be filled by the Scion tC by those that feel they need an auto. They won't be realizing the difference...

Along those lines, was there an automatic S2000? No. People that wanted a sporty Honda had other options. Same here. Part of the automatic issue, is that if people don't bother to learn stick, can they be trusted with a a dynamic RWD car? Chances are if they can't be bothered to learn stick, they can't be trusted with a responsive car that handles the limit quite differently than the typical appliance.
You speak great sense. I'll speak only for myself on this. There are a bunch of great small commuter, every-day cars out there. But if I were to buy a new car, it would be an upgrade from my GTI MK5, which is a superb commuter car with the perfect dosage of fun and sportiness, so the new car would have to be better than the VW, the around the same $$$ and look slick. It's a lot to ask for and there aren't a whole lot of options. Hell, I don't even need to buy a new car. Just looking around really.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe is on my "interest-list" and it's pretty much alone there. Don't like the Mustang's interior and the Camaro is....you can't see out of it and the steering wheel actually hurts your hands....

The FT-86, once we learn the real specs and stuff, might be exactly what I'm looking for. If it's way too much of a purist car then that's ok I'll move on.

BUT...if the FT-86 is exactly what I want but only comes with a manual, I'll be happy with the manual. It'll take more than the transmission choices to make of break the deal for me.

Your last point is exactly what everyone hates about all new Ferrari's and other exotics only having automanuals and having to see so many of them wrecked and killed young (it's the cars I'm sympathizing for. The driver shouldn't have learned to drive fast with their checkbook.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
And in the interest of full disclosure my daily is an automatic AWD Legacy. However my Supra has been over time been 'purified', ABS and power-steering are gone. Traction control is my foot.

The FT-86 will follow a similar progression to purity. It will start off stock, and as time goes, get closer and closer to its natural enlightened state. But it's better to start closer to the final goal than further.
That sounds like an amazing machine you got there. Just as I said before though, for me I really only have room/money for one car. I'll have to make smart compromises until the big bucks come in hahaha.

Last edited by matadormi5; 02-02-2011 at 01:04 AM.
matadormi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #34
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
That sounds like an amazing machine you got there. Just as I said before though, for me I really only have room/money for one car. I'll have to make smart compromises until the big bucks come in hahaha.
If you can afford to get one car and have enthusiast blood run through you, get a manual tranny. I start to regret that I got my IS in AT, because AWD or not, my car slide like hell on snow surface. (she wears summer shoes. LOL)
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #35
matadormi5

Drives: GTI MK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
If you can afford to get one car and have enthusiast blood run through you, get a manual tranny. I start to regret that I got my IS in AT, because AWD or not, my car slide like hell on snow surface. (she wears summer shoes. LOL)
lol yeah, summer tires tend to do that in snow.

I've been thinking similarly about buying a manual next. I like my DSG though. I'll be in gridlock traffic and think "thank god I have an auto." plus when the roads open up I can use the paddle-shifters and "manual mode", the gear-changes on this DSG are PERFECT.

But then I'm also like "these paddle-shifters..ehh..I don't feel cool."

decisions decisions. Pretty sure the 86 won't have a dual-clutch though so who knows.
matadormi5 is offline   Reply With Quote