follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
ACE Headers
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #113
Lunatic
Senior Member
 
Lunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Location: Indio, CA. Just an Old Fart in a Automatic!.
Posts: 1,573
Thanks: 7
Thanked 999 Times in 467 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Before installing my supercharger and running 20 weight oil I would see oil pressure on a hot engine scary low. 220 degree oil temp, 3 lbs oil pressure at idle.
When getting tuned for the supercharger I had my tuner raise my idle RPM from 750 to 950. Now my oil pressure never drops below 20 psi at idle.
This is with 5-30 oil.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
solidONE (01-12-2017), Tcoat (01-11-2017), Ultramaroon (01-11-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #114
HotlavaFRSGT86
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: 2015 Hot lava 6 spd
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 37
Thanks: 14
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Before installing my supercharger and running 20 weight oil I would see oil pressure on a hot engine scary low. 220 degree oil temp, 3 lbs oil pressure at idle.
When getting tuned for the supercharger I had my tuner raise my idle RPM from 750 to 950. Now my oil pressure never drops below 20 psi at idle.
This is with 5-30 oil.
Wow yours really dipped to 3lbs warm? Shit mine only dips to about 8lbs at idle, runs about 120-125 cold and 40-60 psi under normal driving conditions warmed up.
__________________
If your not first your last - Ricky Bobby
HotlavaFRSGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotlavaFRSGT86 For This Useful Post:
Surok (01-01-2018)
Old 02-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #115
Lunatic
Senior Member
 
Lunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Location: Indio, CA. Just an Old Fart in a Automatic!.
Posts: 1,573
Thanks: 7
Thanked 999 Times in 467 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotlavaFRSGT86 View Post
Wow yours really dipped to 3lbs warm? Shit mine only dips to about 8lbs at idle, runs about 120-125 cold and 40-60 psi under normal driving conditions warmed up.
Toyota specs call for 7 psi @ 172 degrees at idle. So you know oil pressure will go lower as engine warms up.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
Surok (01-01-2018)
Old 04-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #116
SoCalArgento
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2014 Argento FRS
Location: 805
Posts: 253
Thanks: 65
Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Does anyone know if it's normal for for oil pressure gauge needle to flutter +- 1-2 psi during highway cruising or right after off throttle? I recently installed a Defi gauge with pressure sender attached to top of block by AC unit. Doesn't seem to be leaking or anything.
This is first time using an oil pressure gauge.

In regards to oil pressure I'm running 0w20 with pressures around or slightly below 10psi at around 185 F and around 40-47psi highway at 190F.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoCalArgento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #117
Surok
Wise old man
 
Surok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: 86 GTS
Location: Sydney
Posts: 993
Thanks: 999
Thanked 227 Times in 156 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i came to this thread because i saw like 8psi at 500rpm.. i was like :O

I have the billet oil pump gear too, to defend against it breaking the stock item.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:00 AM   #118
Lunatic
Senior Member
 
Lunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Location: Indio, CA. Just an Old Fart in a Automatic!.
Posts: 1,573
Thanks: 7
Thanked 999 Times in 467 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I solved my low idle oil pressure by raising my idle rpm from 750 to 900 rpm. Now idle oil pressure stays above 20 psi.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #119
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 15,944
Thanks: 10,517
Thanked 14,476 Times in 7,793 Posts
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I solved my low idle oil pressure by raising my idle rpm from 750 to 900 rpm. Now idle oil pressure stays above 20 psi.
Did you post this just to see if we were payen attention .....??




humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #120
Lunatic
Senior Member
 
Lunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Location: Indio, CA. Just an Old Fart in a Automatic!.
Posts: 1,573
Thanks: 7
Thanked 999 Times in 467 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Did you post this just to see if we were payen attention .....??




humfrz
Yup! Ya caught me.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #121
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 15,944
Thanks: 10,517
Thanked 14,476 Times in 7,793 Posts
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Yup! Ya caught me.


Yep, raising the idle will increase the oil pressure ...... most of the time ....... cept on splash oiled type, lawn mower engines .....


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #122
Lunatic
Senior Member
 
Lunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Location: Indio, CA. Just an Old Fart in a Automatic!.
Posts: 1,573
Thanks: 7
Thanked 999 Times in 467 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Actually all kidding aside I raised the idle rpm because seeing 3 and 4 psi oil pressure at idle with a hot engine bothered me. I feel better seeing 20 psi now.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:04 AM   #123
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 15,944
Thanks: 10,517
Thanked 14,476 Times in 7,793 Posts
Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Actually all kidding aside I raised the idle rpm because seeing 3 and 4 psi oil pressure at idle with a hot engine bothered me. I feel better seeing 20 psi now.
Yep, 20 psi is a much more comfortable number to see.

However, that reading of 3-4 psi just may have been beyond or at the limit of detection for your instrument and the pressure was actually 7-9 psi ....... jest tryen to make you feel better .....


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #124
Lunatic
Senior Member
 
Lunatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Location: Indio, CA. Just an Old Fart in a Automatic!.
Posts: 1,573
Thanks: 7
Thanked 999 Times in 467 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, 20 psi is a much more comfortable number to see.

However, that reading of 3-4 psi just may have been beyond or at the limit of detection for your instrument and the pressure was actually 7-9 psi ....... jest tryen to make you feel better .....


humfrz
Very possible, I'm just using an old school mechanical gauge. But it read pretty close to the Toyota specs of 7 psi @ 172 degrees, and being in southern CA. my oil temp reads 200 most of the time I knew it had to be lower than 7 psi. So yes, now I feel better with more oil pressure. An easy fix for me. I wish the top end pressure drop was as easy to fix.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #125
Ultramaroon
recalculating
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 17,985
Thanks: 26,982
Thanked 17,509 Times in 9,546 Posts
Mentioned: 673 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Very possible, I'm just using an old school mechanical gauge. But it read pretty close to the Toyota specs of 7 psi @ 172 degrees, and being in southern CA. my oil temp reads 200 most of the time I knew it had to be lower than 7 psi. So yes, now I feel better with more oil pressure. An easy fix for me. I wish the top end pressure drop was as easy to fix.
Get a big fucking oil cooler. I can hook you up with a bill of material for my setup but finding a diverter valve might be the tricky part. You wouldn't need it unless you daily yours.

I can maintain my engine oil temp below 190 F for an unlimited duty cycle. I cut back on the flow when I'm cruising.

http://www.improvedracing.com/setrab...ler-p-247.html
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #126
Tcoat
White Knight Squad
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 45,929
Thanks: 41,368
Thanked 62,781 Times in 28,413 Posts
Mentioned: 1729 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Get a big fucking oil cooler. I can hook you up with a bill of material for my setup but finding a diverter valve might be the tricky part. You wouldn't need it unless you daily yours.

I can maintain my engine oil temp below 190 F for an unlimited duty cycle. I cut back on the flow when I'm cruising.

http://www.improvedracing.com/setrab...ler-p-247.html
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-03-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock clutch+flywheel+pressure plate+ ACT lightweight flywheel & pressure plate PineappleFriedRice Transmission and Driveline 0 11-08-2013 05:54 PM
Mid range really lacking goli5oda Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 4 08-19-2013 10:27 AM
Range on a tank of Gas! crank Southern California 28 02-10-2013 05:04 PM
Cruising Range? skoodge Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 4 05-25-2012 02:31 AM
UK Price range 25-32k!? ZeeSpeed Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 56 11-27-2011 03:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.