follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
ofuts

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UEL header turbo kits

Hi,

Firstly, let me say that i dont have any experience for aftermarket turbo kits, it is the first time for me, so please keep that in mind and dont make fun of me if i ask some stupid questions .

I was thinking about Greddy turbo kit since my tuner only offers that kit, but later he accepted to install other kits too, just if i deal with import processes, which are pain in the ... here especially for aftermarket car parts.
Then i started checking UEL header turbo kits just becouse i love the sound of that rumble . So, i found 4 options till now: AVO, JDL, FA20club and MaPerformance, please add if i missed any. Just wanted to get your opinions too before making a desicion, i just started to check the forums so i hope this thread will help me get information more quickly.

So these are what i learned till now, but i may be wrong.

AVO is a great kit in terms of design and quality, but very pricy too, and you need some additions like BOV and high performance cold air filter, but some can find that as an adventage for personalizing too. It doesnt offer you high power for the base kit, dont know about that 8psi option though. Can some one tell me what MAP and 3 bar sensor means please.

MAperformance gives you big numbers as base kit, and kit includes many nice items so you dont need additions (other than clutch and oil cooler which is same for others too). But again its pricy.

FA20club gives you many options to chose, like the high flow catted downpipe and boost controller option. Not so pricy for base kit. But piping seems long.

JDL is good at piping i guess, and design looks good too (again, i dont understand from turbo kits). Price is good compared to others. But i heard some customer complains, which tuns me off since i live in China and that kind of mistakes can be a real problem.

300whp will be more than enough for me so i am not looking for huge numbers, and i will probably want to start with 260s and increase later. But i want to do that with only tuning, so not planning pump or injectors at the moment. I have a 3" catback btw.

Looking for comparisons and suggestions.
Thanks
ofuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
You want to get the Ptuning turbo kit over all the others you listed.

Stay FAR AWAY from FA20club! Search here on the forum, FA20club is a scammer.

AVO seems OK, they have both happy, and unhappy customers, and use a small turbo.

Ptuning turbo kit is more money, but uses the best quality turbo and parts and has the best workmanship of those listed by you IMO. It also gives you the most power in base form if I'm not mistaken.

PTuning also are great tuners.

Spend some time searching here about everything. There's lots of info, you'll get a good head-start on what you'll need. It's not as easy as buying the turbo kit and installing it. Depending on the power you want to make, there's clutch, fuel pump, injectors, oil cooler, and more.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike the snake For This Useful Post:
mkivsoopra (12-01-2014), ofuts (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
There's also another one...it's a small and little known Australian company which offers a turbo kit for the 86, they're called SME (Google them). They do very little marketing on their kits, and mainly rely on word of mouth within the enthusiasts. They don't have a website but they they're on Facebook. I did some asking around and from what I could gather I'd say they're similar to JDL, in which their strength is exhaust manufacturing and their metal work is really top notch high quality shit. Their kit isn't cheap though.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fizz For This Useful Post:
ofuts (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
kbogarto

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The MAP(manifold air pressure) sensor in your car only reads up to 5ish PSI. A 3 bar MAP sensor removes this limitation.
ofuts (11-30-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
ofuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
You want to get the Ptuning turbo kit over all the others you listed.

Stay FAR AWAY from FA20club! Search here on the forum, FA20club is a scammer.

AVO seems OK, they have both happy, and unhappy customers, and use a small turbo.

Ptuning turbo kit is more money, but uses the best quality turbo and parts and has the best workmanship of those listed by you IMO. It also gives you the most power in base form if I'm not mistaken.

PTuning also are great tuners.

Spend some time searching here about everything. There's lots of info, you'll get a good head-start on what you'll need. It's not as easy as buying the turbo kit and installing it. Depending on the power you want to make, there's clutch, fuel pump, injectors, oil cooler, and more.
Actually i was leaning on FA20club but changed my mind after your mention, thanks for the warning.
Ptuning looks good making that kind of power at low psi, but definetely over my budget. And are you sure they have UAL headers?
Yes, i will probably get a new clutch, maybe an oil cooler too if necessary, but not planning pump and injectors since 260 to 300whp seems possible without them. Dont know if i need oil catch can, i need to make some more research for that.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
ofuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
There's also another one...it's a small and little known Australian company which offers a turbo kit for the 86, they're called SME (Google them). They do very little marketing on their kits, and mainly rely on word of mouth within the enthusiasts. They don't have a website but they they're on Facebook. I did some asking around and from what I could gather I'd say they're similar to JDL, in which their strength is exhaust manufacturing and their metal work is really top notch high quality shit. Their kit isn't cheap though.
Thanks for the suggestion but didnt even spent time checking after i saw the price
Old 11-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
ofuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbogarto View Post
The MAP(manifold air pressure) sensor in your car only reads up to 5ish PSI. A 3 bar MAP sensor removes this limitation.
So, does that mean i need that for any turbo kit since they are all over 5psi?
Old 11-30-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
PTuning's turbo kit is installed after the headers, so you can install any UEL header in conjunction with the PTuning kit.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
kbogarto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofuts View Post
So, does that mean i need that for any turbo kit since they are all over 5psi?
You don't need it but you or the ECU won't know how much boost you are running at. I would highly recommend getting a boost gauge and/or getting your tuner to build a boost failsafe into your tune. To do this you would have to update the MAP sensor. It is only around $100 and can be installed in 5 minutes. Fully plug and play.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
kbogarto

If you haven't looked into the rotrex supercharger kits (Jackson and kraftwerks) I would recommend it. You can use any aftermarket headers with those.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Full blown turbo kits are good too from what I've read and that will be the turbo kit i will be purchasing if i ever go the turbo route
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #12
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Full race, FullBlown, MAP, JDL, P&L, PTuning, AVO, Jackson Racing, Kraftworks, innovate...I would choose all of those as FI options.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdrazic93 For This Useful Post:
R2RO (11-30-2014)
Old 12-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
PTuning turbo + JDL UEL header =

[ame]http://youtu.be/o2kJCyXb5r0[/ame]
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mkivsoopra For This Useful Post:
Guff (12-01-2014), RavioliG (12-17-2016), RIP.S2000 (10-02-2015)