follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: What would be the first mod you would do to your FT-86?
Wheels/Tires 78 36.79%
Air Intake 29 13.68%
Lowering Springs 10 4.72%
Sound System 13 6.13%
Cat Back 21 9.91%
Coil Overs 22 10.38%
Other (please specify) 39 18.40%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #141
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Expands and contracts too much with temp changes. Weak when hot. Probably severe corrosion issues when hot, too.

There are aluminum race mufflers, but a full exhaust wouldn't last very long.
If the whole thing is aluminum expansion wouldn't be an issue but I guess the headers see some high temperatures and that would be bad. However how much mechanical stress does the exhaust even go through? And how would it have corrosion issues when hot? Sorry if these are dumb questions I sorta don't see what's so bad about aluminum, steel doesn't seem to be any better
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #142
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
If the whole thing is aluminum expansion wouldn't be an issue but I guess the headers see some high temperatures and that would be bad. However how much mechanical stress does the exhaust even go through? And how would it have corrosion issues when hot? Sorry if these are dumb questions I sorta don't see what's so bad about aluminum, steel doesn't seem to be any better
The expansion/contraction, coupled with its weakness as it gets hot (all metals have a curve about how their strength changes with temperatures, some drop off faster than others), and the vibration that the exhaust is subject too, means welds, and possibly the stressed bends are going to break.

This is even true with steel and stainless steel to a lesser degree, as seen by the use of flex sections and slip fitting to relieve stress on the joints. But stainless holds its strength better with temp.

As for the corrosion, maybe I worded it wrong. It's probably something more to do with the temperature of the stuff in the exhaust acting on the aluminum. This isn't something I have much experience with, though. But just think of chemistry, cold acid reacting on something, vs hot acid reacting on something. Aluminum doesn't really resist corrosion, it's that the corrosion on the outside ends up acting like a barrier.

That's the best I can do, sorry.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #143
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
Stage 1: Driver Education-
Team O'Neil Rally school

Stage 2: Suspension and IHE-
Polyurethane bushings
Tein SS Coilovers
Hotchkis Street Sway Bars
Whatever ebay intake most closely resembles the name brand with the best gains and doesn't pull air from under the car. Its a tube with a filter, I don't need to pay $200+ for it.
PPE Engineering EL Headers (assuming they make one)
The rest of the exhaust I'll probably fabricate myself until I decide to go for Titanium for more weight savings.
Stand alone CPU so I can actually tune it.
Wheels: depends on what I like that's reasonably priced and under 18lbs that will fit this car
Tires: Falken Ziex512 or g-Force T/A KDW 2
Adjustable camber links/bolts. No sense in blowing through tires just because the car was dropped an inch.
Shorter tranny gears.
Short Shifter
Slotted Brake rotors
Goodridge Steel brakelines
EBC Yellowstuff Brake pads

Stage 3: Weight savings
Rip out rear seats
Swap out fronts for reclining racing buckets
Rip out interior paneling and sound deadening material
Relocate battery to behind passenger seat
Carbon Fiber Fenders, trunk, hood, roof, doors(maybe), and body kit (depending on if carbon fiber bumpers are actually lighter than stock or not)
Carbon/titanium Drive shaft.
Fidanza lightweight Flywheel
Southbend Clutch

Stage 4: More Powah!
Cams
Titanium valves, springs, and retainers
Bore out the block to a higher displacement (ultimately depends on how much it can safely be bored) with pistons to match.
Connecting rods, depending on how beefy the originals are
Upgrade bearings
High Flow intake manifold
Port and polish the heads
Rotrex C30-94
Upgrade fuel pump?
Front mount intercooler
Transmission and oil coolers
Dual Core aluminum radiator
Rip out AC (maybe)

Other things that may get added if needed:
Carbon Fiber front splitter
APC GTC-200 Adjustable Wing
Strut tower bars
Rear Diffuser
Big brake kit
let me know how that all goes for you...

also, there are MUCH better coilovers out there, not to mention brake pads, tires, etc... and instead of changing the ratios in the transmission, just get a new ring and pinion.
2008 Civic Si Sedan

Last edited by NESW20; 06-19-2011 at 09:56 PM.
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #144
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NESW20 View Post
let me know how that all goes for you...

also, there are MUCH better coilovers out there, not to mention brake pads, tires, etc... and instead of changing the ratios in the transmission, just get a new ring and pinion.

Were you just skimming over the posts without reading? It seems that you missed my earlier post about a good portion of that list being more-or-less wishful thinking.

Okay, so you don't like my choice in coilovers, what would you recommend? keep in mind this is a car that most likely no one on this forum has driven yet, so has no idea how it handles in real life let alone modified. Different brands seem to work best for different vehicles, right now we don't know which brands work the best for this particular car. There may end up being some no name brand appear out of left field and produce a part that blows the "better" brands out of the water. Some of the brand stuff that's on that list is there with this concept in mind, and is bound to change as the aftermarket kicks into gear for the FR-S. Some of the brands are also there because I've used them in the past and had good experiences with them.

Half the fun of modifying cars and being part of a community like this is seeing what other people come up with. I doubt everyone here has the same goals for the car, and that's a good thing. Some people are bound to end up using parts that other people wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, either through brand loyalty or they had a bad experience with the offending brand.

I think what it really boils down to is a whole lot of trial and error and experimentation to explore possibilities to achieve the desired results. Most of this experimentation would be spread out over a lot of different people, rather than just one. For me, I was looking at the Teins because (in theory) they have decent adjustability for a reasonable price. Do I have prior experience with Tein's? No. The only set of Coilover's I've ever had in the past was a set from Ground Control that I had on my Celica. But I'm not afraid to experiment with something I've never used before.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #145
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
i realized a lot of it was wishful thinking, but why not set the bar a bit higher? a lot of the modifications you listed are expensive, so just as an example, here are Moton coilovers for BMWs listed on Turner Motorsports: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...e-dampers.aspx

AST makes good coilovers as well. KW are reportedly very good, although not in quite the same league as AST and Moton, but much cheaper, closer to Tein prices. Bilstein and Koni should also have high quality coilovers. the difference between a looks/style coilover and a performance coilover is incredible, both in handling and ride quality.

my biggest gripe with your list is that it's so inconsistent. some things listed are worthwhile, and other things on the list are second-rate or nearly pointless.

i do applaud you in putting performance driving school first. i'm curious though, why rally school?
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #146
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
i realized a lot of it was wishful thinking, but why not set the bar a bit higher? a lot of the modifications you listed are expensive, so just as an example, here are Moton coilovers for BMWs listed on Turner Motorsports: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...e-dampers.aspx

AST makes good coilovers as well. KW are reportedly very good, although not in quite the same league as AST and Moton, but much cheaper, closer to Tein prices. Bilstein and Koni should also have high quality coilovers. the difference between a looks/style coilover and a performance coilover is incredible, both in handling and ride quality.

my biggest gripe with your list is that it's so inconsistent. some things listed are worthwhile, and other things on the list are second-rate or nearly pointless.

i do applaud you in putting performance driving school first. i'm curious though, why rally school?
Probably because rally drivers are awesome. Tanner Foust, Ken Block, Travis Pastrana (ok, bikes first but still...) just for the US guys.

Probably also the best skill set that can be applied for any driving situation.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #147
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
I know a good driving school would be one of the first things Id like to do, but they are expensive to say the least. At least while not making much money, but someday Ill get to one. As far as rally schools, Id love to go to Dirt Fish out in Washington. I know there are others but this one just seems right lol http://www.dirtfish.com/
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #148
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
i wouldnt call ken block a good driver. better than us yeah but thats not saying much.

teins make a decent product but i wouldnt go cheaper than flex. and i bet you could take a stock car with decent tires and have a faster car than the one you dreamed of. shoot higher than falken ziex man. i could speak about all these lists but to each his own
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #149
farugah

Drives: Subaru Liberty 3.0RB '05
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i wouldnt call ken block a good driver. better than us yeah but thats not saying much.

teins make a decent product but i wouldnt go cheaper than flex. and i bet you could take a stock car with decent tires and have a faster car than the one you dreamed of. shoot higher than falken ziex man. i could speak about all these lists but to each his own
I wouldnt say hes great in the Rally but his Gymkhana IMO is brilliant.
farugah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #150
Random_Art
professional smartass

Quote:

I'm glad you're being constructive! What pointless stuff would you drop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Probably because rally drivers are awesome. Tanner Foust, Ken Block, Travis Pastrana (ok, bikes first but still...) just for the US guys.

Probably also the best skill set that can be applied for any driving situation.
This^ Though it seems that I'm only familiar with the American drivers listed here through internet promotional videos or the Dirt games. When I was still really paying attention to rally racing it was drivers like Colin McRae and Sebastien Loeb.
I'd also searched for a while for a driving school that specialized in drifting, but after an hour or so the best I could find was one school and they don't even say where they're located.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #151
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
I'm glad you're being constructive! What pointless stuff would you dro
I'd also searched for a while for a driving school that specialized in drifting, but after an hour or so the best I could find was one school and they don't even say where they're located.
Shhh. Rule #2: We don't talk about it.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #152
Random_Art
professional smartass

Do not talk about Drift Club?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #153
BoostJunkie
RaggedEdge Autosports

Drives: 97 APU Supra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
1jz-gte/2jz-gte(havnt decided yet) swap
Precision 6265 turbo
Greddy 3 row
Weight reduction
Upgraded fuel system(w/sumped fuel cell)
8pt roll cage
More to come!!!!

(this will be a shop car, not a personal vehicle)

BoostJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #154
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by farugah View Post
I wouldnt say hes great in the Rally but his Gymkhana IMO is brilliant.
ummm no, just no. his videos are edited to reflect the best run of each individual "trick" and pasted together to look like one complete run. any stunt driver in hollywood can do what he does. he's a master of marketing imo cuz he sells those dumb shoes and gets his name on a video game. so instead of colin mcrae we get him? fuck...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ft-86, ft-86 mods, ft-86 parts