follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:45 PM   #1079
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
The continued lack of cogent and coherent logic is just too much to waste my time with. Please continue whatever you are up to over at the corvetteforum. thanks.

You should go back and reread who exactly brought what cars into this thread. The power of self deception and revisionism can be a strong one.

We know what you want already, a Camaro that looks like a Supra. I think you can move on now if you have nothing topical to add to the actual thread.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #1080
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Toyota benchmarking previous Porsche 911 GT3 for new Supra?

Quote:
Toyota engineers have been spotted at the Nurburgring testing a Porsche 911 GT3 RS, potentially getting down some benchmarks in the development of its upcoming Supra revival.

An image has appeared on renowned Nurburgring enthusiast website BridgeToGantry, spotting the Porsche apparently owned by and/or under the control of Toyota. It was seen during a scheduled industry testing day.

It seems engineers could be using the previous-gen 997 GT3 RS at the ‘Ring to gain some valuable data in relation to cornering abilities and performance. We’re sure we don’t have to tell you, the GT3 is a very serious, stripped out race car for the road. Although the new Toyota Supra isn’t likely to be as serious as the GT3, Toyota could be benchmarking to understand the limits.

Engineers were also seen testing the last, fourth-gen Supra on the Nurburgring, possibly to make sure the new model rekindles some of the original spirit. Back then, the Supra came with a now-legendary ‘2JZ’ 3.0-litre twin-turbo inline six engine.

For the new model rumours suggest Toyota could adopt one of BMW’s TwinPower turbo four- or six-cylinder engines, while pairing in some kind of electric hybrid assist system using its own expertise.

Last week we heard news that Toyota had registered a trademark for “Supra” in Europe, following an earlier registration of the name in the USA back in 2014. It seems logical Toyota will apply the legendary name to the new sports car.

BMW, as part of an agreed co-development deal signed in 2012, is also engineering a vehicle alongside the Supra and will introduce a separate model based on the same foundations. There’s talk of it being its new sports convertible, replacing the Z4. The name ‘Z5’ has been thrown around but nothing is official just yet.
http://performancedrive.com.au/toyota-1511/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
abraxis (08-04-2016), Summerwolf (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #1081
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Oh, benchmarking the GT3??? Rekindling the "affordable Porsche" nickname indeed. Though i suspect my anticipated price range is a little low now.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSkoolToys For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #1082
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
The continued lack of cogent and coherent logic is just too much to waste my time with. Please continue whatever you are up to over at the corvetteforum. thanks.

You should go back and reread who exactly brought what cars into this thread. The power of self deception and revisionism can be a strong one.

We know what you want already, a Camaro that looks like a Supra. I think you can move on now if you have nothing topical to add to the actual thread.
You obviously cannot have a smart conversation. I never said I wanted a Camaro, have no idea where you got that from. None of your posts have contributed to this thread in any manner, and I bid you good day.

Ps. Nice thesaurus usage
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #1083
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Has anybody seen any OFFICIAL updates on the concept? All I can find from Toyota is 2 year old press releases and a bunch of pics in their Concept section on the web page. Debating weight may be all fine and dandy since if it just remains a concept it's production weight will be zero.
BMW will make a Z4 successor, Toyota DID dump money into it.

This one I'm banking something comes out. Maybe it doesn't have a Toyota badge on it, but a new RWD roadster/coupe with a straight 6 will hit the streets in the next year or two, I guarantee it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
The mk4 was classified as a sports car

From Car and Driver in 1993

Quote:
The Supra used to be a sporty touring coupe, an Oriental counterpart to, say, the Thunderbird SC. Now it is targeted at buy*ers—admittedly precious few of them—who loiter in Nissan showrooms next to the 300ZXs. After our one-day drive (on a racetrack only), we wonder whether the new Supra faces an identity crisis. It is fast, but it is not a pure sports car like the RX-7. And it offers neither the styling, the luxury, nor the prestige of the 300ZX.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test
Old 08-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #1084
abraxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

This one I'm banking something comes out. Maybe it doesn't have a Toyota badge on it, but a new RWD roadster/coupe with a straight 6 will hit the streets in the next year or two, I guarantee it.
[/url]
I know right? Total vaporware...

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/08/toy...return-on.html

"Ever since Toyota re-trademarked the name, it has seemed probable we would see it revived and now thanks to Toyota's global chief designer, Tetsuya Tada, we're confident it's happening.

While speaking with Car Advice, Tada said “I love the Supra and I love the Supra name. It's historically important to Toyota. We're pushing for the name Supra for the new car we are developing with BMW." "
Old 08-05-2016, 02:22 AM   #1085
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Do you have confirmation on this? The Z5 and Supra were supposedly looking to expand use of BMW's CFRP from the i3 and i8.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...bon-fiber-cars

That was one of the reasons for the Collaboration/MoU between the two companies.
No confirmation, but this is according to a (secondhand) Toyota source. Could be totally wrong as it's really early in development, but who knows.

Chances of them doing a monocoque and hitting a 80k price point don't seem likely though. i8 is 140k iirc and that's far less car than the Supra needs to be.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:54 AM   #1086
abraxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
No confirmation, but this is according to a (secondhand) Toyota source. Could be totally wrong as it's really early in development, but who knows.

Chances of them doing a monocoque and hitting a 80k price point don't seem likely though. i8 is 140k iirc and that's far less car than the Supra needs to be.
i3 is $40k though, fingers crossed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-05-2016), Guff (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:21 AM   #1087
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

From Car and Driver in 1993

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test
No where in that quote you posted does C&D outright say the Supra is NOT a sports car. They pose more of an open ended question; one for ponder and thought.

If you were to take all the reasons (aside from the butter-smooth powerhouse of an engine, which both classifications can have) they were questioning if it were a sports car or GT, and apply it to the twins, then you'd basically be saying C&D would call the FR-S/BRZ a GT, which is completely silly. A 2+2 coupe with practical cargo space and a suspension that passes the daily driver check mark.

Compared to the MK3 and other actual GT's, the MK4's cabin is 'noisy', and the ride is harsh. The amenities, while not econobox spartan, just aren't there, because Toyota was purposefully trying to shave weight on that car and make it a more pronounced and focused sports car. The first example that comes to mind are the seats. They are great factory buckets, but are outclassed in terms of comfort by a wide margin by what was offered in the MK3.

You want a MK4 Supra GT? Look no further than the SC300/400 (Same platform: the main reason the mk4 was as heavy as it was). That was a GT.

A 2+2 designation does not make a car a GT.

Last edited by OldSkoolToys; 08-05-2016 at 04:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSkoolToys For This Useful Post:
Guff (08-05-2016), vh_supra26 (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #1088
Guff

Garage
Quote:
No where in that quote you posted does C&D outright say the Supra is NOT a sports car. They pose more of an open ended question; one for ponder and thought.

If you were to take all the reasons (aside from the butter-smooth powerhouse of an engine, which both classifications can have) they were questioning if it were a sports car or GT, and apply it to the twins, then you'd basically be saying C&D would call the FR-S/BRZ a GT, which is completely silly. A 2+2 coupe with practical cargo space and a suspension that passes the daily driver check mark.

Compared to the MK3 and other actual GT's, the MK4's cabin is 'noisy', and the ride is harsh. The amenities, while not econobox spartan, just aren't there, because Toyota was purposefully trying to shave weight on that car and make it a more pronounced and focused sports car. The first example that comes to mind are the seats. They are great factory buckets, but are outclassed in terms of comfort by a wide margin by what was offered in the MK3.

You want a MK4 Supra GT? Look no further than the SC300/400 (Same platform: the main reason the mk4 was as heavy as it was). That was a GT.

Definitely agree, but just wanna say, Supra ride quality is actually fantastic. Very comfortable, well damped, smoother than most would expect. I would definitely say better than a MK3.

Buttt, I still agree the SC was the real GT, and the Supra was the sports car which was still very GT-capable, but still focused on the sports car side of things.

Also, unrelated to @OldSkoolToys (btw, it's really great to see you posting again. Mad respect for a real OG) but I saw a caradvice.co.au/motoring,co.au sourced article posted earlier and I just want to say, Please don't believe anything those sites post. They will fabricate entirely false stories for clicks and have done it time and time again. The quote from Tada San is very old (and perhaps misquoted) and mostly irrelevant now, as the landscape has changed hugely from when he first mentioned the Supra, as has Toyota's relationship to BMW. Also, Tada San will be overseeing this project and other sports car projects, but that does NOT mean he is going to be the chief engineer. Just something to keep in mind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (08-05-2016), strat61caster (08-05-2016), Tcoat (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #1089
strat61caster
-

Quote:
I disagree on that point and as such don't consider the 86 a true sports car either, so cheers on that second paragraph.

To me the definition a sports car is a small car built for nimble handling. The mk4 Supra w/ turbos clocked in at >3,200 lbs and is nearly a foot longer than the 86, and 2 feet longer than the latest Miata.

@Guff your fanboi is showing

You guys can call it what you want, and I'm not trying to shit on the car. I just wouldn't classify something that weighs more than a German luxury sedan as a 'sports car'.

Edit;

Quote:
A 2+2 coupe with practical cargo space and a suspension that passes the daily driver check mark.
I don't know why I missed that quote, that's precisely what I would classify a GT as.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
abraxis (08-09-2016), Guff (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #1090
Guff

Garage
Quote:
I disagree on that point and as such don't consider the 86 a true sports car either, so cheers on that second paragraph.

To me the definition a sports car is a small car built for nimble handling. The mk4 Supra w/ turbos clocked in at >3,200 lbs and is nearly a foot longer than the 86, and 2 feet longer than the latest Miata.

@Guff your fanboi is showing

You guys can call it what you want, and I'm not trying to shit on the car. I just wouldn't classify something that weighs more than a German luxury sedan as a 'sports car'.

Edit;

I don't know why I missed that quote, that's precisely what I would classify a GT as.

I'm a blatant fanboi and proud of it.

I will say though, having driven many Supras in many sporting events, it does fantastic on road courses, drag racing, and yes, even autocross.

If that's not a sports car, I'm not sure what is. Regardless though, we're all just being pedantic at this point. It doesn't matter what it's classified as, it just has to be good!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
abraxis (08-09-2016), strat61caster (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #1091
strat61caster
-

Quote:

I will say though, having driven many Supras in many sporting events, it does fantastic on road courses, drag racing, and yes, even autocross.

If that's not a sports car, I'm not sure what is. Regardless though, we're all just being pedantic at this point. It doesn't matter what it's classified as, it just has to be good!

Lots of 'non-sports cars' are great at and tons of fun at motorsports events. For instance at the last big autocross I went to I got beaten by a '67 Chevelle.

This is my favorite drift video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5lLMCWWYc"]Black Smoke Racing Best of 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

You're right, pedantry for pedantry's sake. Fun cars are fun, doesn't matter if it's a truck or a trike.

The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:23 PM   #1092
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thinking back I am pretty sure I have never even SEEN a Supra much less drove one.

Many sports cars are not used for sports and many cars used for sports are not sports cars.
It is an unwinnable debate as to what constitutes a "sports car" that has raged on for about 80 years. Especially when technology changes so fast and what was a "sports car" once is left out a few years later because the baseline criteria changed.
Cole (08-05-2016), Guff (08-05-2016), strat61caster (08-05-2016)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose