follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #113
remorse87

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
And I work my ass off.

On these FORUMS as everyone can see...

If you spent the time you spent on the forums today on the phone with corp... you would most likely have something being solved instead of replying to every post someone makes.

priorities my friend priorities...
remorse87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #114
Steve

Drives: 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
expecting Lexus quality from first-year model budget sports car, classic.

Coming from a Toyota Celica and other small sporty cars, the rattles, creaks and cracks are unavoidable in a car at this price point, this light and this firm riding. Just be glad you don't have to drive in the winter, when they really come out.

Last edited by Steve; 09-17-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:
Jose_Timberlake (09-24-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #115
tacoss23

Drives: '08 328i, '13 Accord Sport, '13 BRZ
Here is the problem dude:

You bought a entry level sports car designed in an entirely new platform.

Here is the question:

Where you the right candidate to buy this car?

You go ahead an answer this question.

And now read my 2 cents: NO, you were NOT the right candidate!. The right candidate for a vehicle like this in its first year of production is a person that :

a) Is Driver enthusiast that has the experience, time and patience to deal with bugs, modds, etc

b) Someone else (college student for example) that has THE MONEY to get these things fixed and not worry about it to the point they start hating the automaker.

you clearly are not in either of these groups, becasue you are SO UPSET that the car has these issues that you hate the car, and the brand. BUT the real main reason you are so upset, it's because you can't do anything about it because you are not in either of those 2 categories above. You don't have the time, experience, patience to modd it and fix it, nor you have the money (apparently).

The fact is, you should've gotten a "college car". If you are in the enthusiast side then get a Civic SI. But you went out of your way to get a car that was clearly not the right choice for you.

When I was in college I didn't care much about my cars, yet I drove an Audi A4 for the 4 1/2 years that I was in college. Why? Because my parents could certainly afford that vehicle, otherwise I wouldn't have. If it was me paying for the car I wouldn't even had a car. And if I HAD to buy a car, I would've bought a "college car" not a FRS on its launch year (assuming it was launched when I was in college).

You took a bad decision buying this car and you are unlucky enough to get one that has all these faults (it's on the very small minority having these issues). You do have a reason to be upset, but be upset at yourself for being stupid enough to get yourself into this, not at Toyota or Subaru.

Reminds me of people that get themselves into financing used 328is with 60k or more miles on them, when they have an hourly job, JUST BECAUSE they can afford the monthly payments. Then the moment they break because they didn't do the proper maintenance they blame BMW, when it reality is their stupid ass that got themselves into the problem.
tacoss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tacoss23 For This Useful Post:
bear89103 (09-17-2013), Jose_Timberlake (09-24-2013), Marchy (09-17-2013), Steve201brz (09-24-2013), strat61caster (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #116
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
I wouldn't have any reason to. But they haven't been fixed. Not one of them.
Maybe the problems are in your head, in which case the dealer can't do that much about them.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #117
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Wow, some of these comments are just ridiculous.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #118
husker741
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
Maybe the problems are in your head, in which case the dealer can't do that much about them.
Yup, because the owners that are in my area haven't heard my axle click or my incredibly loud crickets or anything....
Old 09-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #119
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
However, I do not want the car anymore. These problems have made me fail to have fun with it. I no longer want it to be fixed. I want it gone, so I can go back to Lexus.
In my opinion, herein lies your problem. You are suffering from a severe case of buyer's remorse. It is very apparent that you have owned and are comfortable with owning Lexus cars.

This car is far removed from that type of mid level luxury vehicle. It is an economy sports car. It is made for spirited driving for those that like or want to look like they like that type of driving. With that comes light weight which means thin sheet metal and lack of sound deadening material. That means you hear every creak and rattle. You can hear the engine from inside the cabin. You can hear the transmission and the differential.

Even the lightest Lexus weighs in hundreds of pounds more than the FR-S. It has all the luxury appointments that the FR-S lacks. It is quiet and rides smooth.

You bought the wrong car. The fact that you added the mods that you did just takes the car even further astray from the type of car you really want. I have made the same mistake more than once in my life and each time it cost me a lot of money. The same will apply to you. It is one of those live and learn experiences.

Up until the time you made the above statement, I was going to suggest that you remove the mods and then take the vehicle in to get the issues resolved. Without the mods, I think the dealer would be more likely to take the issues seriously and resolve them. With the mods, they just think you are abusing the car and causing the issues.

Now, it is apparent you do not want the car. I believe the root of the problem is that you should have stayed with what you were accustomed to. I would still suggest that you remove the mods. Sell them to recoup what you can. Then sell or trade in the car while the resale value on the car is still inflated like it is now.

You are going to take some financial lumps but in the long run it will be worth it if you are truly as miserable about owning the FR-S as you seem to be.

Good luck.

Last edited by Rampage; 09-17-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rampage For This Useful Post:
Evil Jesus (09-17-2013), HunterGreene (09-18-2013), Marchy (09-17-2013), travelmonkey (09-18-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #120
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
I'm not having any major problems. The one issue I've had so far (steering wheel peeling) the dealer is replacing under warranty without any hassle.

You bought an early production low volume car, what exactly did you expect?
He expected a toyota. As far as it being an early production, low volume car.....I bought the second first gen Prius in my state back in 2000 as a 2001. From day one I've had zero issues with it and I still own it today. I would expect the same thing from any toyota, as I've owned a 91 mr2 turbo, 95 corolla, and a (first gen)2001 prius - growing up my parents owned a (first gen)1989 toyota van, ZERO issues on all. I'm really disappointed with some members lack of sympathy. This should be a band of brothers not a school of piranha.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nemesis For This Useful Post:
husker741 (09-17-2013), strat61caster (09-17-2013), SuperDave (09-22-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #121
Dr Evil

Drives: '93 sc400, UltraMarine
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I love this car far too much to let any problems or a dealer make me hate it. I'd also rather lose money and pay to get something fixed at a different shop than rely on the dealer. from a simple oil change to a complete engine rebuild.
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #122
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Links? I've heard people posting about noises but no outright failures (maybe one, but that's a fluke)

Agreed that the thing isn't living up to the advertising though. Most people thought they'd be getting a bulletproof drivetrain with the only requirement for consistent track duty being brake pads. To be fair this isn't far off from the truth, once the injector issues get sorted out (which it appears that it has, 01/13 builds confirming the 'new' calibration) and the couple bad trannies get replaced the only pervasive issue is the crickets. ONly time will tell if other deficiencies exist. Until then...

Edit: searched and couldn't find any axle failure threads, I'm going to assume they don't exist until someone proves me otherwise.
This is just one example: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=27

There are other mentions of axles needing to be replaced among the track and autocross threads. There are also many references to people hearing clicking from the rear differential area which is the precursor to the axle failure. It seems to be most common on lowered cars.
strat61caster (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #123
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Is this the fatal flaw of these forums/community? That the moderators keep threads like this open?

It just seems entirely nonconstructive to me...
86-tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #124
husker741
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
Is this the fatal flaw of these forums/community? That the moderators keep threads like this open?

Through a lot of unneeded comments from immature posters, many people have helped me and pointed me in the right direction to go with their comments and opinions.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #125
husker741
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
He expected a toyota. As far as it being an early production, low volume car.....I bought the second first gen Prius in my state back in 2000 as a 2001. From day one I've had zero issues with it and I still own it today. I would expect the same thing from any toyota, as I've owned a 91 mr2 turbo, 95 corolla, and a (first gen)2001 prius - growing up my parents owned a (first gen)1989 toyota van, ZERO issues on all. I'm really disappointed with some members lack of sympathy. This should be a band of brothers not a school of piranha.
Exactly. I know it is mostly a Subaru. I know it is a cheap sports car. I know it is light and some corners had to be cut. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. I wanted it since the day they started conceiving the thought of a car like this. What I don't get is why Toyota would back a product like this when they didn't know it would be the same reliability that everyone has grown accustomed to. I want to buy a Toyota/Scion that Toyota knows is part of their pedigree.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #126
Dr Evil

Drives: '93 sc400, UltraMarine
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post

at least i learned that the drive axle problem is more common than i thought
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Evil For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-17-2013)

Tags
assumption junction, bum toyotas' dog, first world problems, old whine in new battles, op can't drive stick, op is a tinkler, roflcopter