follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #15
EvolutionRevolution

Drives: SCION FRS 2016
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exactly -- functional damage - drivable from scene but not just some fender rash... It is a tough call without any documentation of what happened..

probably not a parking lot job -- if i had to guess the car was truly rear-ended based off the descriptions of minor vs functional that car fax offers..

perhaps it's time for some eye candy to make this harder..

Last edited by EvolutionRevolution; 09-24-2019 at 11:02 PM.
EvolutionRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:01 PM   #16
EvolutionRevolution

not a bad looking specimen...
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2019, 11:07 PM   #17
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was involved in a rear end collision several years ago. Slightly wet highway, with the bane of my existence vehicle behind me going too fast (late 90’s Explorer, I want them all to be crushed). Traffic slowed to a stop in front of me, I had plenty of time to stop, Explorer driving douchebag didn’t, and he hit me going about 35ish mph. He tried to swerve at the last second onto the shoulder but still hit me pretty square.
Anyway, all of that is to say a rear end collision like that wasn’t car total bad, but I didn’t want to keep my Corolla long term after that. The repair shop had to replace the rear crash beam, and a section of the trunk had to be welded in, and full respray of both rear fenders, trunk, and bumper. The repair was done well, but it was enough damage I knew I wasn’t going to keep the car. Try to find out the best you can the extent of the damage. Have paint thickness checked, and look for any replaced body panels. If it does I would walk away and find an uncrashed FR-S or 86.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #18
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionRevolution View Post
not a bad looking specimen...

that blue! Don’t fall too in love with it yet

Old 09-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #19
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If for exactly what you want. It took me 9 months to find a single owner clean title non modified car. but I did find it.

it was an ex colorado car but the carfax said it was sold there and owned for 2 years and driven down to socal. so i relented.

and it was white! the best color that isnt any red, yellow, or hakone gren
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #20
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
As others have mentioned, just get it inspected at a good body shop. They should be able to tell where the work was done - and if they can't tell at all, it must've been negligible and/or done well.

Resale on this car shouldn't be a huge concern (it's not rare enough or valuable enough), and if you can get a discount, it's likely a wash anyway.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #21
JesseG

Yeah a good repair shop would spot pretty much anything that was replaced or fixed. And seeing any respray is very easy in the sunlight. Unless it was done by some master craftsman painter.
Also the twins have VIN tags everywhere, if a panel or the trunk was replaced that would be easy to spot.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #22
EvolutionRevolution

UPDATE:

I was able to find the repair shop where work was done and they were willing to talk to me about what they did over the phone.:

car was in rear end collision.

Rear bumper, bumper bar, trunk lid, and a body panel were replaced. Painted obviously (really nice pain job, I cannot tell it was done..)

Apparently the rear body panel is something welded on but not really a structural part?

Guy says they didn't see anything that would cause any safety issues or concerns down the road, which is important to me.

Any thoughts FRS internet wizards? I really don't know anything about body work. Would love some feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to EvolutionRevolution For This Useful Post:
Spuds (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #23
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
That's cool you were able to talk to the shop.

But like everyone here has said, if it's still worrying you, get it inspected somewhere else to back up what they've told you. If they're full of it, a good shop will be able to tell pretty quick.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #24
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
UPDATE:

I was able to find the repair shop where work was done and they were willing to talk to me about what they did over the phone.:

car was in rear end collision.

Rear bumper, bumper bar, trunk lid, and a body panel were replaced. Painted obviously (really nice pain job, I cannot tell it was done..)

Apparently the rear body panel is something welded on but not really a structural part?

Guy says they didn't see anything that would cause any safety issues or concerns down the road, which is important to me.

Any thoughts FRS internet wizards? I really don't know anything about body work. Would love some feedback.
Quarter panels, while I suppose add some small rigidity, are quite flimsy and not really load-bearing members. I wouldn't worry about that too much if it looks good. Sounds like it got hit offset by something tall if they had to do the quarter panel, but if they replaced the bumper beam that means it probably took the brunt on the impact. I'm guessing they just didn't mention the brake light, but I am fairly certain they would have needed a new one.

Anyway, it sounds fine, but I'm just a dude on the internet. You can get it independently inspected as others have said, if it gives you the peace of mind. It's going to be hard to tell you everything you could look for over the internet.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
honestly, if it's still worrying you enough to take the time to track down the original shop that worked on it, i'd recommend you look for a different car.

that's a whole lot of research on a singular item that is produced in mass quantity. if you're looking into it this hard now, i'm not convinced that if you were to purchase the car that you'd be able to see it as anything other than damaged goods. which will color your impressions of anything/everything that happens with the car

strut mount develops squeak, stupid crashed car!
it doesn't start one time because the key fob battery goes dead, stupid wrecked car!
bird poops on it, stupid wrecked car!
someone door dings it, stupid wrecked car!

it might sound excessive, but i've known people that have gone through that exact scenario with second hand items.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #26
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
honestly, if it's still worrying you enough to take the time to track down the original shop that worked on it, i'd recommend you look for a different car.

that's a whole lot of research on a singular item that is produced in mass quantity. if you're looking into it this hard now, i'm not convinced that if you were to purchase the car that you'd be able to see it as anything other than damaged goods. which will color your impressions of anything/everything that happens with the car

strut mount develops squeak, stupid crashed car!
it doesn't start one time because the key fob battery goes dead, stupid wrecked car!
bird poops on it, stupid wrecked car!
someone door dings it, stupid wrecked car!

it might sound excessive, but i've known people that have gone through that exact scenario with second hand items.
Agreed. By the sounds of it there is probably not a thing wrong with the car.
But...
If still concerned enough to be digging all this time later then if anything does turn up, related or not, then it will nag at your brain forever.
soundman98 (10-04-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #27
EvolutionRevolution

Thank you all.. Valid points , no doubt. Just trying to do my homework.. and the longer it sits the better deal i think i can get.. OR someone else buys it
The Following User Says Thank You to EvolutionRevolution For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #28
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank you all.. Valid points , no doubt. Just trying to do my homework.. and the longer it sits the better deal i think i can get.. OR someone else buys it
Well nobody can accuse you of not doing your homework.

For what it is worth, judging by what you have said, I woud buy that one without any qualms. Well, other than it being blue.
Dake (10-03-2019), soundman98 (10-04-2019)