follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #15
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,164 Times in 3,461 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Should've gone Japanese. They know how to look after their cars.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
guybo (05-12-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #16
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
despite my irrational misspent youth hating fords, the ranger my dad had, and the ranger i now have has treated me at least as well as any import. i've beaten both in ways that they absolutely should have broken, and to this day, both are still some of the most reliable vehicles my families ever purchased.

it's just too bad they couldn't figure out rust prevention better, but tacoma's weren't exactly known to be any better of the same era.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:55 PM   #17
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I’ve been though chassis harness wait times twice. We’re in the middle of another one now.

First was a fairly new car with a known issue of water in the harness. On vacation from NY in Montana at the time. We waited 4 months for the harness. From what I understand, warranty covered his flight home, a rental in NY, a free extended warranty and free prepaid maintenance. He certainly could have gone for lemon law with the time involved, but they made it worth his time to stay in the car.

Second was a motorhome, upfitter work failed and burned out a section of harness. I believe we had that thing on the lot for 3-4 months. Upfitter issue, no lemon law. We got it done and we haven’t seen it since.

Current car is a new on the lot E43. Rodent damage to the front. Going on 2 months and no harness yet. Also not warranty, obviously.

Cars used to be made with one harness. If you didn’t have the CD changer the plugs were just taped up in the trunk. Now everything is made to the VIN. One harness for the whole car, headlights to tail lights, sunroof to wheel speed sensors, and only the plugs you need in the exact spot you need them.

Buying a used car saves thousands. It also has its drawbacks.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-21-2019), Tcoat (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #18
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
https://www.floridabar.org/public/consumer/tip007/

My mom did this herself with her BMW in California. You might not even need a lawyer.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #19
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
https://www.floridabar.org/public/consumer/tip007/

My mom did this herself with her BMW in California. You might not even need a lawyer.
i don't believe the lemon law can apply in this particular situation, as they haven't actually repaired the vehicle once. the lemon law requires that the problem car be attempted to be repaired multiple times.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #20
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i don't believe the lemon law can apply in this particular situation, as they haven't actually repaired the vehicle once. the lemon law requires that the problem car be attempted to be repaired multiple times.
Depends on the law, which varies widely.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #21
soundman98

not saying you're wrong, but the lemon law is quite consistent across most states. i know somewhat because my brother became the lead tech for alfa romeo for some time, repairing buybacks that other dealers weren't able to repair. all of them had multiple months of repeated repair history before FCA bought them back, and sent them to my brother for further diagnosis.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #22
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Looks like the lemon law time frame in FL is 2 years from initial purchase. Beyond that you’re still under warranty, but not the easy consumer focused protection lemon law provides.

I’ve been directly involved in one buy back. A GL with 500 miles, no sound from the radio. I needed a MOST fiber optic harness, and there were none in the world. Pushing 45 days, they “found one”, shoved in a tiny envelope and sent it in the mail. That shoving kinked the fiber optic cable, making it even worse than the one I had.

Shortly after that, we got a nice letter not to touch the car, lock it out back and they would come pick it up. The car was brand new, rolling off the assembly line daily. We asked why they couldn’t walk in to the factory (in Alabama) and grab a harness. I was told MBUSI, who makes cars, was not the same company as MBUSA, who sells and supports cars. Nothing they could do about it.

I would think the problem isn’t that they no longer make the harness, but that it has to be made specifically for the car. That takes time, sadly.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (05-13-2019), soundman98 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #23
EAGLE5
Dismember

Garage
Just in time manufacturing at its best.
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Just in time manufacturing at its best.
Nah it has nothing to do with just in time since that applies to the manufacture of the whole vehicle not spare parts. Spare OEM parts are a totally different contract that has nothing to do with making the actual vehicle. Somebody at GM decided that there would be little demand for that particular part so they were not contracted to be made in volume. A quick look through the Camaro forums shows they were very, very wrong since this is a very common (and fairly serious) issue and they just don't have the parts to cover the demand. It isn't as simple as GM just calling up the factory and saying "hey, we need a couple of hundred wiring harnesses tomorrow".
Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #25
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
with their response to the random airbag deployments, i sure don't trust them..
You mean that autocross one? IMO that car acted as designed.

They had issues with Colorado ZR2s offroading as well - and redesigned the SRS programming and fixed all of them.

Blow the engine on one of their track models while at the track and they'll fix it no problem.

They have been better than Ford IMO.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #26
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
3 or more repairs.. OR 30 days out of service IIRC.

I suspect he'd have a good shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Before my wife and I call a lawyer About the warranty issue we have with her 17 Camaro, I figured I'd ask here. Someone has to have had a similar issue.

Background- Superbowl Sunday, in the trunk of her 2017 Camaro RS, there was a small fire and a lot of smoke. In the trunk, under the fuse box there was standing water. Chevy admitted that a clip wasn't installed at the factory and that let water in the trunk. Factory defect on a vehicle covered by factory warranty. There is no disputing these facts, we, the dealership and GM agree. The entire wiring loom for the vehicle has to be replaced with a new part.

But the part is no longer made. It has to be a new part. Chevy has no date on availability. We have no possible date when we'll have the Camaro back. We've never been given a date. The dealership has nothing but excuses and points to Chevy corporate. Chevy won't discuss anything except us waiting on the part. That doesn't exist. That is no longer made. They refuse to do anything else and meanwhile we're in a Cruze loaner from the dealership. It's a shitbox.

So what kind of lawyer deals with this sort of thing? Does anyone have similar experience at all with this sort of thing? What are our options. The car was used, and we're beyond the lemon law time limit.

Ideally GM would buy it back. But if we had the car back fixed 100%, we'd just trade it in. So far we're just being given the mushroom treatment.
OP, what dealer in Tampa has it?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #27
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
You mean that autocross one? IMO that car acted as designed.

They had issues with Colorado ZR2s offroading as well - and redesigned the SRS programming and fixed all of them.

Blow the engine on one of their track models while at the track and they'll fix it no problem.

They have been better than Ford IMO.
there's been a few. off the top of my head, there was the rando camaro driving in circles, then there was a cts-v in a cone course.

i hadn't heard that they warrantied all the zr2's. last i heard, all the guys that had trail deployments either paid out of pocket, or were fighting it.

i still find it so very odd that gm products continually have this issue. guy's beating up trucks offroad isn't anything new, and neither are the cone courses. generally everyone uses the same sensor package, so i would expect to see more oddball deployments from all brands under similar conditions--especially autocross courses, but the only one's i'm seeing anything on even when searching is GM products. toyota had a side-airbag disable button for a while in their trucks, but took it out on the latest generation, but even so, i can't find any record of a toyota truck blowing airbags on a trail...

it just confuses me how something like that seems to affect vehicles across a single corporation, and none that i can find outside of it. i really just want to know what the root cause is...
Old 05-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #28
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
3 or more repairs.. OR 30 days out of service IIRC.

I suspect he'd have a good shot.

OP, what dealer in Tampa has it?
Jim Browne Chevy. they've been very good and have let us use a loaner this whole time when they didn't have to. They do have the part now and they are fixing the car. However, I'm not sure how this will shake out. GM has referred our case to its legal dept. and told us to not contact them except through a lawyer.

A lawyer said that the Magnuson-Moss Act only stipulates 3 repairs, not a time period. I suspect the car will be in 2 more times because of the difficulty and complexity of the repair. I'd be amazed if they get it right the first time. But I'm not counting on that.

I saw the car, it is absolutely gutted. It also still has a bad odor from when the original damage happened. Smells like burnt wiring really bad. Even gutted with no interior at all, it smelled. I can only imnagine how bad it'll be with the cloth interior put back in.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote